Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 12 Oct 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1736104)   #1
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dodgy tyre Pressure Gauges

Can anyone recommend a good tyre pressure gauge?

I have had 3 now in as many years and they keep breaking.

They don't take any abuse, are stored in a warm dry garage, yet they seem so fickle..... They are all from so called top manufacturers also.

The latest one gave up the ghost on Saturday at Oulton when we went into qualifying with 27psi in our ACB10's, because the gauge read 18psi.

Does anyone use a digital gauge and can say how accurate these are as at least they don't have needles that keep sticking....

I've got to get one ordered today, so if anyone can offer any suggestions?

Cheers
Old 12 Oct 2006, 13:59 (Ref:1736239)   #2
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have had good experience of Racetech gauges - not digital tho - never had problems over quite a few years

their readings were not consistent with a friend's Longacre gauge tho - which wasn't helpful for either of us...

One the other hand have found our Racetech items to be consistent with other gauges

Not very helpful really - it's a difficult one - you end up just having to trust your gauge - blind faith really...
Old 12 Oct 2006, 14:11 (Ref:1736246)   #3
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
You're definitely not the only one with problems...
Scroll down to the "Cheaper can be Better" article here.
Old 12 Oct 2006, 19:08 (Ref:1736501)   #4
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have a blue point gauge,as sold by snap on tools. rubber cased and its been ok for years. always accurate. tested it against a new draper small air compressor gauge the other day which was over 6psi out!
Old 12 Oct 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1736512)   #5
cannardd
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
cannardd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've used a Longacre digital one (p/n 50380 ) for 7-years with no problems (other than new batteries)

Old 12 Oct 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1736521)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLIN STUBBS
i have a blue point gauge,as sold by snap on tools. rubber cased and its been ok for years. always accurate. tested it against a new draper small air compressor gauge the other day which was over 6psi out!
How do you know which is accurate? I have a Tanner Racing gauge which I check against my tyre pump and other people's gauges. So far I have only found 1 or 2 psi difference but how could you tell which is correct.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1736923)   #7
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannardd
I've used a Longacre digital one (p/n 50380 ) for 7-years with no problems (other than new batteries)
£230 though......
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 13 Oct 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1737326)   #8
GordonG
Racer

GordonG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've used 3 digital gauges, none of them expensive (some dirt cheap!), and all have been consistent from reading to reading, which is really all you need. I now have 2 - one for racing and one spare, which I know reads within 1/2 PSI of my racing one so when that goes missing I havent lost my reference.

The only thing that seems to affect the consistency of digital gauges is how they fit on the valve and whether you can get a reliable seal. If you can try one and get a good seal, buy it. No springs to weaken, dials to stick etc.

Course, the batteries can run out...

G
Old 13 Oct 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1737374)   #9
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get mine checked every so often at my mates tyre depot when he has his calibrated and tested. they have to have em done regularly.....
Old 13 Oct 2006, 19:10 (Ref:1737411)   #10
cannardd
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
cannardd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
£230 though......
I know, I did get some stick for spending that much on a tyre gauge

Originally I was just looking for something that would cover a very wide range accurately, and I got a bit carried away!