Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Oct 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1747361)   #1
OSTKURVE
Rookie

United States
Los Angeles
OSTKURVE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prodrive

Do you think that David Richards' Prodrive Gran Prix outfit will be a force to be reckoned with in the 2008 season? It is my understanding that the car is currently under development @ Prodrive's new F1 facility. Without a doubt Prodrive has been successful in other areas of motorsport but will they competitive in F1 against the series larger established & perhaps more well funded teams?

Who's tipped to be their motor supplier?
Old 24 Oct 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1747370)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually in Italy rumours have been recently hinting that Richards' intention is not to make an F1 car, but just to sell for some dozens millions € the licence he got free of charge just a few months ago.... not stupid this bloke!
Old 24 Oct 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1747371)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Prodrive are hoping to buy a complete car/engine package from another team as defined in the 2008 regulations.Some of the teams aren't happy about this.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 11:10 (Ref:1747375)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed there is talk of Prodrive having effectively what is year old McLaren's. It would be a good start but if they want to be truely competive in future years they are of course best off developing their own car from scratch.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1747379)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSTKURVE
Do you think that David Richards' Prodrive Gran Prix outfit will be a force to be reckoned with in the 2008 season?
Nope. The record for new teams coming in an being consistent front runners straight away isn't good.

Quote:
It is my understanding that the car is currently under development @ Prodrive's new F1 facility.
I didn't think their F1 factory had been built yet? (I believe they only recently won the planning arguments)

Quote:
Without a doubt Prodrive has been successful in other areas of motorsport but will they competitive in F1 against the series larger established & perhaps more well funded teams?
Possibly, they've got a good track record but they haven't got the available cash that the manufacturer teams have - that'll make it dificult for them to be truly competitive.

Quote:
Who's tipped to be their motor supplier?
Cosworth? (Possibly re-badged as something else). Honda, Renault, Ferrari and Toyota already supply more than one team (and are comitted to those teams into 2008?) so unless Mercedes or BMW cough up customer engines then Cosworth looks like being the way forward.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1747381)   #6
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prodrive certainly aren't developing there car at there new F1 facility in Warwick beacause that hasn't been built yet. Prodrive have said all there preliminary work in Banbury until Warwick is finished. As for engine suppliers I think they have spoken to nearly everyone and the same can be said for chassis.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1747391)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aston Martin badged Cosworths maybe? Or aren't there rumours about Hyundai and F1 currently?
Old 24 Oct 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1747480)   #8
GeeRam
Racer

England
London, UK.
GeeRam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't bet against there being a connection between Hyandai's 'statement' and Prodrive's future intentions.

But, there's also the Prodrive/Merc-Macca 'B team' rumours as well.

In some ways this, perhaps as a 2-3 year deal, might be the smarter move in terms of getting your infrastructure up and running to F1 speed while development on a bespoke project goes on in the background, and is something Prodrive do with other stuff already.

Whatever direction they take, I'm sure DR will create a slick operation.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1747994)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Actually in Italy rumours have been recently hinting that Richards' intention is not to make an F1 car, but just to sell for some dozens millions € the licence he got free of charge just a few months ago.... not stupid this bloke!
im of this opinion as well.
he will either find full manufacturer backing or sell out. but either way he will be getting paid alot.
i dont see him as the type who would go into his own pocket to build up an F1 team like Stoddard or Sauber, or Minardi, or Jordan.

so much for another independent joining up!
Old 24 Oct 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1748033)   #10
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be at all surprised if David Richards sells the entry before too long. If not I doubt that the team will be funded by Prodrive and will use someone elses money.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 02:19 (Ref:1748357)   #11
Tone
Racer

United Kingdom
Tone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Aston Martin badged Cosworths maybe? Or aren't there rumours about Hyundai and F1 currently?
Have cosworth given the FIA and engine for homologation\freeze or whatever they call it?
Old 25 Oct 2006, 16:53 (Ref:1749155)   #12
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone
Have cosworth given the FIA and engine for homologation\freeze or whatever they call it?
it'd probly be worth giving the fiA the engines just in case they are called upon to provide for a team in the future.

it opens up an interesting loop hole in the law, what if say audi want to enter F1 in 2010 (i know its not gonna happen, just an example) they would then have to hologomate a brand new engine design with all the development of 2/3 years giving them an advantage, or are new teams restricted to the use of engines already hologomated for the 2007.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1749165)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
That would be a good idea.... just in case Jaguar want to come back.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1749176)   #14
T0MAT01
Veteran

England
Focknowles Weir
T0MAT01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
I wouldn't be at all surprised if David Richards sells the entry before too long. If not I doubt that the team will be funded by Prodrive and will use someone elses money.
Surely not..... Sponsorship?
Old 25 Oct 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1749298)   #15
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0MAT01
Surely not..... Sponsorship?
Well obviously I assume that they'll have some of that. But would a sponsor really pay a fortune to a team, who's main visible activity would be improving their facilities to F1 standard, when they could hold off spending their money for a year and get some publicity from the team racing.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1749402)   #16
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They did say they would see the engine rights if someone wanted them so I assume they have