Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Nov 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1765290)   #1
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zolder is Confirmed

CCWS is headed to Zolder next year!

source: http://www.f1technical.net
Old 13 Nov 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1765332)   #2
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Inspired choice.............not!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 08:10 (Ref:1765570)   #3
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A European mini-tour... Where else are they planning to race?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 14 Nov 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1765649)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm, I wonder if they will come back to Brands Hatch while they are over? Jonathan Palmer is I believe still co-manager of Justin Wilson.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 12:01 (Ref:1765836)   #5
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands seems to be doing great with A1GP. And i don't think they have such great experiences with cc from last time out (ditching the event after 1 year does not suggest profits).

Assen and Zolder are certainly not the best tracks for cc in terms of passing opportunities. But i'm pleased cc finally seems to have pulled a deal of for europe. And for me personally it's not bad either, living within 4 hrs of zolder and 2 of Assen.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1765867)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Wow, this is a very interesting calendar development!

Why the choice of Benelux venues, is it something to do with drivers/ forthcoming teams like Heylen or the Minardi/Muermans equipe?
Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:33 (Ref:1766060)   #7
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not sure, Le Mans was also a possibility, and a certain 3 times world champion was born there.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1766155)   #8
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hows about a ChampCar race at Silverstone. Im sure it wouldnt take much to bring a substantial crowd to the event, surely Silverstone can manage that. What with the Le Mans Series going back there it would certainly be fantastic to have all of F1, Champcar, FIA GT, and LMS there.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1768395)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 tends to be quite restrictive about who can race at its circuits.

As long as Zolder isn't the only European venue, this might work out okay. The expense of the previous European visits wasn't worthwhile, but with a new chassis and more established teams the series looks stronger than in 2001-2003.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1768555)   #10
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track doesn't look all that difficult for passing and overtaking...it actually seems to look like a pretty good layout.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1768701)   #11
Lightning Bug
Racer

Lightning Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zolder will be a great circuit for Champ Car:

1) It's got some decent overtaking spots

2) Sand has a habit of getting dragged onto the circuit during races, which always livens things up

3) It's easy to get to from the UK
Old 17 Nov 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1768810)   #12
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand the other half of the European tour is going to be the street race at Athens old airport. There is a map of the circuit knocking around the web somewhere. Its is promoted by the same guy who promotes the Houston race. He is a Greek himself.
I would doubt very much that Champcar would come to Britain again next season or for the next few years to be honest.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 20:52 (Ref:1768814)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to hear that the CWS will be visiting Europe, its another step in the right direction to living up to the series name of a "World" series. As for a race in GB, Brands I would think is unlikely, a event at Donnington or Silverstone however should be possible.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1769173)   #14
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't count chickens before they've hatched - there is still nothing on the official site (sounds like somebody at Zolder jumping the gun).
Old 21 Nov 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1771394)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still nothing confirmed...
Old 22 Nov 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1772033)   #16
NoGuts-NoGlory
Rookie

Canada
Canada
NoGuts-NoGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
Don't count chickens before they've hatched - there is still nothing on the official site (sounds like somebody at Zolder jumping the gun).
Not so, it's been published on a number of Belgian news sites also.

I contacted F1 technical about the zolder/Champcar deal and they are confident the story is legit. Here's the email i sent F1 technical:

Quote:

Hi,

I have a question about the story that F1 Technical published on Nov 13, 2006, that states:

"The Belgian circuit of Zolder is proud to announce that it has reached an agreement with the organisers of the Champ Car Series to organise a race at the track in 2007. The race is part of a European mini-tour."

It has been a week since F1 technical released this story but no other racing news and information site has corroborated it. This is very strange since once a story gets out usually other news sites follow within a day or two!

Moreover, the Champcar World Series' own home site mentions nothing of the Zolder deal which is rather odd. The CCWS just had their season ending banquet and awards night in Indianapolis where new announcements and series sponsors are often disclosed, but again no mention of the Zolder race or deal!

I'm not suggesting that F1 Tech has got this story wrong, only that I'm a little concerned that there might be a problem since nobody else is confirming it including Champcar themselves!

Could you please respond regarding this matter.

Concerned fan of F1 Technical,

f1 Tech e-mailed back with this response:

Quote:

Hi John,

Principessa published the news after it was released by the Belgian press agency BELGA. Several Belgian newspapers also published it the day after so that I'm relatively sure of its correctness.

Hope this satisfies your question.

Regards,
Steven De Groote
Old 22 Nov 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1772038)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Bug
Zolder will be a great circuit for Champ Car:

1) It's got some decent overtaking spots
Possibly.

Quote:
2) Sand has a habit of getting dragged onto the circuit during races, which always livens things up
Where does the sand come from?

Quote:
3) It's easy to get to from the UK
Yep.

I recommend you check your atlas.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1772181)   #18
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett

Where does the sand come from?

There is a temporary MX track that crosses the circuit around the first corner. it's only used before the circuit season begins (for the MX GP of Flanders), but they keep the dirt in the paddock in the first loop. it's more earth/mud than sand, but sometimes it flies onto the track, specially in the early months after the MX GP. it shouldn't really be a problem in september though
Old 22 Nov 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1772185)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeeas,

Actually I think our friend was confusing Zolder with Zandvoort.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1772220)   #20
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have checked the CCWS website and it looks like they are not venturing across the pond next year. Hope I am wrong and that they have just not updated their calender.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1772275)   #21
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have not updated anything yet as nothing has been officially announced.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1772470)   #22
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry, but it can't be trusted until the CCWS site says it is a go (and even then, after the Korean fiasco I'll have my doubts).

a story regarding a Belgian track released by a Belgian news agency and not picked up by any international reporters (looking at the name at the bottom of F1 tech, it sounds Belgian to me - but I may be wrong) sounds dubious to me.

And before we get the quick shots - I would be equally mistrusting of the above if it were the UK in question.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1772492)   #23
NoGuts-NoGlory
Rookie

Canada
Canada
NoGuts-NoGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the fact that CCWS had not made an announcement yet is not alarming. KK is picking and choosing when he breaks news to the press to maximize the impact. He has shown a history of keeping his cards close to his vest and only releasing information when he feels it is most advantageous to Champcar.

2ndly, if the F1 tech announcement was found to be incorrect than it would seem logical that the editor would pull the story as other sites do when a story is believe to be in error or incorrect.

I expect it to be confirmed by CCWS in do time!
Old 22 Nov 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1772568)   #24
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
Maybe I am a bit cynical - but it is based on experience.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1772572)   #25
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
there has been a brief mention of Zolder in a speedtv article, but other then that, you're right