Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Nov 2006, 04:09 (Ref:1775604)   #1
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMRS Wakefield

The final round of the AMRS was on the weekend at Wakefield. Was anyone at the event? Seemed to have an alright number of competitors, an improvement on their most previous round.

But the interesting one that caught the eye was the whopping 500km race, 228 laps of Wakefield!
Old 27 Nov 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1775667)   #2
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard on the radio coming back from Eastern Creek today that there was a rather bad incident at Wakefield on the weekend, does anybody have any news?
Old 27 Nov 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1776232)   #3
wishbone
Racer

wishbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the track but did not see the incident, but from what i have heard, is a future racers spun on the run down the hill, and was t-boned by another car, resulting in the race being red flagged, driver in the future racer was apparnelty knocked out, and taken to hospital for xrays where they found a fractured vertebrae and some brusing.

sorry but i don't recall the names of the drivers involved.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 00:14 (Ref:1776262)   #4
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know - was this a CAMS or AASA sanctioned event???
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 28 Nov 2006, 00:35 (Ref:1776270)   #5
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going by the first post if it was AMRS I would think it was AASA.
But will stand corrected if wrong.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 02:43 (Ref:1776321)   #6
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The AMRS is AASA. It has no CAMS affiliation.
While the bad accident with the Future Tourer was just considered just that - an accident, some of the driving, particularly in the Touring Car Challenge, was appalling. Intentional take-outs and revenge hits added to the usual mistakes. Race three was total carnage. Naturally not one single penalty was handed out by the stewards for any of it. The only penalty was a black flag for a poor HQ racer for kerb hopping.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 02:53 (Ref:1776329)   #7
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Was there any niggling between Terry Whyoon and David Krause. They seem to spend a lot of time questioning the other cars legibility.

What happened to Searle in Race 2?
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:04 (Ref:1776331)   #8
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not that I saw. They raced close to each other a few times and I didn't see them touch. I saw them having a good chat and shaking hands (appeared friendly) after the third race by Terry's transporter so I don't think there were any dramas.

Poor Luke just had a disastrous weekend. It seems they got a whole year's mechanical failures rolled into one weekend. Engine, clutch, driveshaft all failed at various points. One consolation was they set the fastest lap in the 500km race.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:05 (Ref:1776332)   #9
mrcowpoke
Rookie

mrcowpoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't at the track, but just spoke to Chris Clearihan, who was racing at the meeting.

Paul Quinn, from Canberra, spun going into the Fish Hook, and was T-boned by a Porsche. As a result of the accident he received a broken neck and punctured lung.

Paul was air-lifted to Sydney, and had an operation last night. I believe he has feelings in his arms and legs after the operation.

Chris estimated the Porsche would have been doing around 140km/h at time of impact.

As I said before, I spoke to Chris only a short while ago, and this is the information he gave me.

Regards

Michael Carscadden
Capital MotorSport News
www.capitalmotorsportnews.com.au
m: 0401 888 719
e: news@capitalmotorsportnews.com.au
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:10 (Ref:1776338)   #10
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
At the presentation dinner the Porsche driver (can't remember his name) received a trophy and he was obviously shattered about what happened although people were re-assuring him that it wasn't his fault.

Best wishes to Paul for a speedy recovery.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:10 (Ref:1776339)   #11
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Yes Eastern Creek was a busy weekend for you Michael with Cooper.

Thanks for the information, hopefully it sounds a lot worse than what it actually is. Best of recovery to Paul.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:38 (Ref:1776349)   #12
mrcowpoke
Rookie

mrcowpoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
Yes Eastern Creek was a busy weekend for you Michael with Cooper.
I was always going to EC, but on the same weekend we also had the National Capital Rally here in Canberra, with the Classic cars running at the head of the field. I had a ride with Geoff Portman in the replica works Stanza on the Friday. That ride was on a par with the ride with Simonsen in the wet at Phillip Island in the Koundouris' Cup Car. Sensational.

And the Australian Long Track titles were at Wagga - with out and out star young riders like Chris Holder and Luke Gough. I get scared just watching those blokes ride. If you've never seen a Long Track meeting, do yourself a favour!

Plus of course there was the AMRS meeting at WP.

But this is well and truly off thread now (sorry).

Regards

Michael
Old 28 Nov 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1776479)   #13
kosher_pig
Rookie

kosher_pig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEL
Does anyone know - was this a CAMS or AASA sanctioned event???
Does it really matter???????
Old 28 Nov 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1776567)   #14
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosher_pig
Most certainly does. Imagine the carnage and increased costs if we were allowed to run riot on the track with little or no control measures in place. How many straight utes were there at the end of one of their meetings a couple of years ago? Thankfully they seem to have become a lot more patient and considered in their passing maneuvers of late.
Many of the Group A Touring cars that were considering joining the Touring Car Challenge chose not to after seeing the damage at the Phillip Island round a couple of years ago.

I wish Paul Quinn a speedy recovery.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1776594)   #15
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Its still very entertaining though with some top racing. Plus if V8 Supercar drivers cant get their head around one reverse grid, then id at least expect to see a couple of collisions when the TCC have two handicapped races over a weekend.
Old 28 Nov 2006, 12:28 (Ref:1776595)   #16
kosher_pig
Rookie

kosher_pig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so what control measures are you talking about? Are the Group A's anymore restrained on the track than anyone else????? rubbing is racing no matter whether it is CAMS or AASA running the meeting. It happens at every racetrack in the country......if u cant afford to fix your car then leave it in the garage ...motorsport is a contact sport no matter which way you look at it
Old 28 Nov 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1776963)   #17
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
so what control measures are you talking about? Are the Group A's anymore restrained on the track than anyone else????? rubbing is racing no matter whether it is CAMS or AASA running the meeting. It happens at every racetrack in the country......if u cant afford to fix your car then leave it in the garage ...motorsport is a contact sport no matter which way you look at it
I think that you have been watching to many of Elvis's race car movies my friend. rubbing isnt part of racing... nor is contact permitted. Yes it sometimes happens but it definatley isnt part of racing

Go the Datto!!!
Old 28 Nov 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1777032)   #18
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Am I not allowed to ask a question of the forum?
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 29 Nov 2006, 00:07 (Ref:1777061)   #19
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe
Most certainly does. Imagine the carnage and increased costs if we were allowed to run riot on the track with little or no control measures in place. How many straight utes were there at the end of one of their meetings a couple of years ago? Thankfully they seem to have become a lot more patient and considered in their passing maneuvers of late.
Many of the Group A Touring cars that were considering joining the Touring Car Challenge chose not to after seeing the damage at the Phillip Island round a couple of years ago.

I wish Paul Quinn a speedy recovery.
To reiterate kosher_pigs question "what does it matter", and you certainly have not given a reason for it mattering as you say it does.

The sanctioning authority supplies the insurance and supplies the regulations by which the event is ran, the penalities and control is handled by the Clerk of Course on the spot, what does that have to do with what sanctioning authority. Not knowing what was going on there, it is the responsiblility of the Clerk of Course, full stop!

Last edited by Aquarius; 29 Nov 2006 at 00:09.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 01:55 (Ref:1777086)   #20
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said Aquarius.

The CoC of an event doesn't change because it has a different sanctioning body, the CoC is chosen by the club or company promoting the event so many tracks have the same CoC or group of Coc's running events there.

Mind you the rule book is different between CAMS & AASA, CAMS tends to hit one's wallet but AASA tends to take results or series point away which is a greater penalty in the wider scheme of things.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1777218)   #21
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Well it's more an attitude thing than anything else. Most of the guys in the Group A/C races feel they won't push their way past but would rather earn a passing opportunity by skill and patience than just being close enough to use brute force. As for "rubbing is racing" I think you've been watching Cole Trickle too often. I've always considered that attitude to be one that doesn't necessarilly produce the best drivers as race winners, just the ones with the biggest wallets or more desperation as race winners.
So far I've managed to fix my car from the 4 or 5 touches I've had in my 7 and a half years of racing, by the way, what do you risk when you go racing??
Motorsport doesn't have to be a contact sport and I believe it shouldn't be. I agree that contact is inevitible, but it shouldn't be as constant as it has been.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1777228)   #22
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEL
Am I not allowed to ask a question of the forum?
Of course EL....a Canberra based Future Racer was T Boned hard by a Porsche...great concern for the driver who had to be cut out of the car. Condition unknown.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1777540)   #23
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA

Mind you the rule book is different between CAMS & AASA, CAMS tends to hit one's wallet but AASA tends to take results or series point away which is a greater penalty in the wider scheme of things.
I think you're right with what you say re the punishments handed out. I screwed up at Winton about 3 years ago in a AASA meeting and my punishment was to appologise to the driver I hit (which I had already done by the way) and no fine was handed out. The result was that I still raced the rest of the weekend a lot more sensibly and had not been forced to hand out money that I then needed to fix the damage. It was a one off race not part of a series so a points penalty couldn't be applied.
Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1777583)   #24
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Au Contraire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcowpoke
I was always going to EC, but on the same weekend we also had the National Capital Rally here in Canberra, with the Classic cars running at the head of the field. I had a ride with Geoff Portman in the replica works Stanza on the Friday. That ride was on a par with the ride with Simonsen in the wet at Phillip Island in the Koundouris' Cup Car. Sensational.

And the Australian Long Track titles were at Wagga - with out and out star young riders like Chris Holder and Luke Gough. I get scared just watching those blokes ride. If you've never seen a Long Track meeting, do yourself a favour!

Plus of course there was the AMRS meeting at WP.

But this is well and truly off thread now (sorry).

Regards

Michael
Welcome Michael....as an old fart who has done Long Track (Castlereagh)....plse continue to think Motorsport and not some pre-conceived idea about what is popular and what is not Yours in Motorsport, Mick....Canberra
Old 3 Dec 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1781224)   #25
greenracer
Racer

Australia
greenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgreenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the amrs coverage at the weekend on SBS not sure who the commentator was but he stated that Paul Quinn who was involved in a horrific accident suffered only minor injuries[ broken neck ,punctured lung two operations possibily not race again ]how in insenitive.
Get well soon Paul