Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1775853)   #1
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will Hamilton beat Alonso?

Just been on F1.com and there is a survey asking wether Alonso will be able to beat Hamilton in 07.

What did you vote for and why?
Old 27 Nov 2006, 12:47 (Ref:1775854)   #2
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I put possibly. I think he'll get closer to Alonso as the year prgresses and will maybe beat him a few times.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1775867)   #3
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Hamilton will be faster than Alonso from the outset.

Last edited by Frank_White; 27 Nov 2006 at 13:04.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1775871)   #4
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Under normal circumstances i expect Alonso to beat him fairly comfortably initially, then as the year goes on Hamilton will get closer to Alonso. Hamilton certainly wont be on Alonso's pace at Melbourne.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 13:12 (Ref:1775878)   #5
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we have to look at the facts here to come to a conclusion...

You have a double World Champ in Alonso. Therefore he is no slouch.

You have a F1 rookie with a handful of tests under his belt. Ok so he's been quick in previous formulae but it will take time to get accustomed to it.

So I go with Alonso although closer by the end of the year.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1775883)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ditto jon
Old 27 Nov 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1775887)   #7
adz_34
Racer

Australia
Somewhere out there
adz_34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

My god this truly is the silly season if you lot think Hamilton an F1 rookie will get anywhere near a 2 time F1 champion and the only guy on the grid to win a Schumi era world championship!
Old 27 Nov 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1775890)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only disadvantage for FA is being new to the team. Hamilton has a long history with them though not in F1. I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if Hamilton is on par with FA. If he beats him in any of the races without incident I may actually have a drink!

Some racers have been fast from the get go. I hope he is one of these people. FA was one of those drivers. There was never doubt of his abilities.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1775892)   #9
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adz_34

My god this truly is the silly season if you lot think Hamilton an F1 rookie will get anywhere near a 2 time F1 champion and the only guy on the grid to win a Schumi era world championship!
What about Hill, Villeneuve and Hakkinen.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1775903)   #10
adz_34
Racer

Australia
Somewhere out there
adz_34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray
What about Hill, Villeneuve and Hakkinen.
Sorry? did I miss something here? Who are Hill, Villenueve and Hakkinen driving for next year? Read the post before replying with nonsense. It says the only guy on the grid to have won a Schumi era world championship
Old 27 Nov 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1775906)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think that Hamilton will be quicker than Alonso. Yes Alonso is obviously more experinced than Hamilton but Hamilton is also extremely fast and will know about 80% of the tracks from this years GP2, plus he has a slight advantage over Alonso in terms of of McLaren. Hamilton has already tested for McLaren a few times and is forming strong relationships at the team I would imagine.

That said, Alonso is no slouch and I think he will push Hamilton hard.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1775914)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rookie vs two-time defending champion? No contest.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1775916)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry? did I miss something here? Who are Hill, Villenueve and Hakkinen driving for next year? Read the post before replying with nonsense. It says the only guy on the grid to have won a Schumi era world championship
Schumi was onthe grid when they all won championships.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1775919)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso will beat him quite easily.......Lewis will get closer but bar the odd race i cant see him getting anywhere near Fernando
Old 27 Nov 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1775925)   #15
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Apologies but hey it was an honest mistake!
Old 27 Nov 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1775926)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt Lewis will be anywhere near Alonso for much of the season. At best, he'll outqualify him 3-5 times, and maybe beat him twice in races they both finish. He's done so little F1 testing before getting this drive, whereas Fernando is arguably the best driver out there, so it would be miraculous if Lewis beat him.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1775989)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso will beat Lewis easily. But that's not to say Lewis won't be competitive, far from it.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1775997)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Personally I think that Hamilton will be quicker than Alonso. Yes Alonso is obviously more experinced than Hamilton but Hamilton is also extremely fast and will know about 80% of the tracks from this years GP2, plus he has a slight advantage over Alonso in terms of of McLaren. Hamilton has already tested for McLaren a few times and is forming strong relationships at the team I would imagine.

That said, Alonso is no slouch and I think he will push Hamilton hard.
This is ambitious I feel.

The two time world champion will push the rookie hard? Hmmm...

I think Alonso will have the upper hand mostly. But do not get me wrong here, Hamilton will shine in his own way. Lewis will make errors, will occasionally match (or beat) Alonso but will make a good impression.

But beat Alonso? I think not. That is a very tall order and the team will be fully behind Fernando as it bids to get back on the title trail.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1776006)   #19
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There is no way Hamilton will be quicker than Alonso,it is F1 we are talking about here Hamilton has a lot to learn and may get on the rostrum a few times but beat the 2 time world champ You would have to be p****d to believe that!
Paul

Last edited by Paulc; 27 Nov 2006 at 17:42.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 18:09 (Ref:1776019)   #20
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is a real shame that people are starting to make these predictions because that puts a lot of expectation on Hamilton's shoulders. That would mean that no matter how good he is, if he doesn't beat Alonso it will be considered a failure.

I have no doubt that he'll have a fantastic season but won't beat Alonso, perhaps not even once.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1776029)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LH will get a podium, but I doubt he will beat Alonso unless FA has a stinker. 08 - we'll see ...
Old 27 Nov 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1776044)   #22
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'll be happy to eat my words if I'm proven wrong, but I find it vaguely ridiculous that anyone should even be thinking about Hamilton beating Alonso over the course of the season.

I know he claims never to have been beaten by a team-mate, but there's a first time for everything, as he will find out.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Lewis make a few mistakes in the early races if he tries the match the big boys from the word go. I think he'll be in the ballpark later in the year, but needs to give it time. That's what McLaren are telling him and I hope he's listening.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1776049)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think they should worry first if Mclaren will be finishing races and hopefully winning some of them ...
Old 27 Nov 2006, 19:24 (Ref:1776057)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Let's not forget that a fundamental difference to F1 next season will be the tyres.Bridgestone reckon that they will be different enough in compound and construction to not favour any of the teams or drivers.Some will get on with them,others won't.
Old 27 Nov 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1776070)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Some will get on with them (Ferrari),others won't.
What ? What ?