Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 2 Jan 2007, 20:59 (Ref:1804243)   #1
B and H
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
B and H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Coombe

Having checked the BRDC website today (2nd January 2007), I was saddened to learn of the deaths over the Christmas period of two prominent members of the BRDC. Ex racer Mike Coombe passed away on Christmas Eve and ex racer and commentator Peter Scott-Russell just after Christmas. Two real characters - a sad loss to British Motorsport.

Last edited by John Turner; 3 Jan 2007 at 10:24.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1816470)   #2
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew Mike very well and he was a splendid character who had quite an unusual racing career, appearing in races alongside some of the 'sportscar greats'.He was large man and as modern racing cars became smaller,he simply could not make himself comfortable and he was forced to retire.For many years he drove trucks around Europe and he used this as a chance to gather rare models which were not available in Britain at a time before mail order.A few years ago he used his considerable knowledge of the hobby to open a shop in his home town of Rugby.I still treasure the times I would visit him and find rarities among the ever creaking and sagging shelves.On a couple of occasions he persuaded me to buy a particular rare find on the grounds that he wanted it to go to a good home!! This was typical of his passion for our hobby.He was still a fan of racing despite us both sharing the view that it was no longer the sport we had fallen in love with.He was also a proud member of the British Racing Drivers Club which ironically appears to be the place where he was first taken ill.In a strange way this was a little like Gerry Marshalls death with both doing what they probably best liked.I would like to offer my sincere condolences to his wife and children.Ian Beckett.