Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Jan 2007, 01:32 (Ref:1806744)   #1
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forsythe's Driver Line Up

Apart from Tracey who will be the team's second driver?.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 01:42 (Ref:1806748)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No announcements, just rumours.

Buddy Rice and David Martinez ran in Mexico as a prelude perhaps to a full time ride obviously.

Simon Pagenaud, Adam Carroll and Jay Howard have also been testing as prospective new drivers.

I'd imagine with Andrew Ranger's departure from Conquest Racing, rumours surrounding him are due soon as well.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 12:15 (Ref:1807369)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After what AJ did with #7 car last year, this is the hottest ticket in CC at the moment. But theres more hype been generated by my family picnic than the replacement for the #7 car at the moment.

For me I'd go for Ranger as he could do an AJ. But then Carroll would do a solid job.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 14:23 (Ref:1807525)   #4
Lightning Bug
Racer

Lightning Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
For me I'd go for Ranger as he could do an AJ. But then Carroll would do a solid job.
Surely that should be the other way around?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1807532)   #5
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read in some other places that Forsythe may be a one car team next year.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 15:46 (Ref:1807594)   #6
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdawg727
Has this ever happened before?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 15:47 (Ref:1807596)   #7
NoGuts-NoGlory
Rookie

Canada
Canada
NoGuts-NoGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdawg727
As of right now, Forsythe is a one car team with Paul Tracy as their driver. Gerry Forsythe cleaned house before Xmas and let go/fired half of his team. Apparently there was cancerous internal problems and people with bad attitudes that were affecting team moral. From what I heard, it was a divided team in to two camps with petty jealousies.

There were people at many levels who clearly were not doing their jobs effienently and had become complacent. Gerry Forsythe wouldn't tolerate this!

It is possible they will run a second car at some point but as of right now they don't have enough personnel to do so.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 16:09 (Ref:1807611)   #8
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuts-NoGlory
As of right now, Forsythe is a one car team with Paul Tracy as their driver. Gerry Forsythe cleaned house before Xmas and let go/fired half of his team. Apparently there was cancerous internal problems and people with bad attitudes that were affecting team moral. From what I heard, it was a divided team in to two camps with petty jealousies.

There were people at many levels who clearly were not doing their jobs effienently and had become complacent. Gerry Forsythe wouldn't tolerate this!

It is possible they will run a second car at some point but as of right now they don't have enough personnel to do so.
well its good to get rid of the people that arent doing their job but sureley they will now be at disadvantage now only with one car, getting setups etc?
Old 5 Jan 2007, 16:25 (Ref:1807625)   #9
NoGuts-NoGlory
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran20
well its good to get rid of the people that arent doing their job but sureley they will now be at disadvantage now only with one car, getting setups etc?
I would agree, they will be only getting half of the data compared to other teams which has to hurt.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 17:48 (Ref:1807668)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Odd that half the team would be fired. Sometimes I wonder about Gerry Forsythe...

It sounds like Tag may be available too. Recall that when Carpentier parted with the team that Tag was under consideration. It would definately be nice to see what Ranger could do in consistantly effective equipment.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 18:15 (Ref:1807684)   #11
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch
Has this ever happened before?
Yep. 1996-1997 just Greg Moore. Carpentier was the first second car in '98.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1807718)   #12
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Odd that half the team would be fired. Sometimes I wonder about Gerry Forsythe...

It sounds like Tag may be available too. Recall that when Carpentier parted with the team that Tag was under consideration. It would definately be nice to see what Ranger could do in consistantly effective equipment.
After what happened last year at San Jose, I think Tags is the last person Tracy will want as a teammate.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1807738)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandretti39
After what happened last year at San Jose, I think Tags is the last person Tracy will want as a teammate.
Yep, and to be honest I think Tagliani is past his best. Get some new blood in at the team, perhaps Rahal or Carroll. Either would be a good choice, they are both very quick and have a lot of years racing left in them and therefore time to potentially develop with the team unlike drivers such as Tagliani.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:10 (Ref:1807758)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I would agree, they will be only getting half of the data compared to other teams which has to hurt.
Yes, BUT, PT is an experienced driver, a former champion. Been in Champ Car since 1991? Unless the driver has a similar driving style I can't see what advantage that would give Paul in terms of set up, data etc..

As for half the team being sacked, IF that is true, its good and not good in ways. Sure its not good to see a possible drive gone, but if it affects the team morale etc then its not good for anyone. Why did RuSPORT do so good considering everything? They are a great team, not all the best people, but the best people that work together as a team.

If the focus is on Paul, the whole team is basically team PT, which has been the case to an extent since 2003 when he reformed the team in ways and brought them back to more consistent winning ways. The Lola move took some persuading and was PT's move remember when Team KOOL Green switched in 2002 to Lola?

This is the whole half bottle emptly / half bottle full approach. ONE car less when you want to see an increase in car numbers isn't good but IMHO Indeck Forsythe Championship Racing should be much stronger I HOPE this year.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 22:18 (Ref:1807805)   #15
NoGuts-NoGlory
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
Yes, BUT, PT is an experienced driver, a former champion. Been in Champ Car since 1991? Unless the driver has a similar driving style I can't see what advantage that would give Paul in terms of set up, data etc..

As for half the team being sacked, IF that is true, its good and not good in ways. Sure its not good to see a possible drive gone, but if it affects the team morale etc then its not good for anyone. Why did RuSPORT do so good considering everything? They are a great team, not all the best people, but the best people that work together as a team.

If the focus is on Paul, the whole team is basically team PT, which has been the case to an extent since 2003 when he reformed the team in ways and brought them back to more consistent winning ways. The Lola move took some persuading and was PT's move remember when Team KOOL Green switched in 2002 to Lola?

This is the whole half bottle empty / half bottle full approach. ONE car less when you want to see an increase in car numbers isn't good but IMHO Indeck Forsythe Championship Racing should be much stronger I HOPE this year.
Couple of things here Luke,

Pt may be experienced and knows how to set up a car to his liking, but losing the technical raw data of a second car still hurts on many levels. Having a second car gives the team, engineers and mechanics more versatility and efficiency. There is a lot of important information gained by having a second driver provide feedback that has nothing to do with Paul's set preferences. The team can stage two separate test strategies concurrently which is a big advantage and the other teams will do this.

What makes this more poignant this year than previous years, is since this is the inaugural year for the DP01 where there is no team data to draw upon by any team and everyone is starting from scratch, Forsythe will be at a disadvantage to any two car effort in testing. It will take them longer to test various systems and components than other teams. Even the great Michael schumacher while at ferrari used the testing feedback and data from other cars to improve his car!

Moreover, Forsythe will also be vulnerable to on track attrition running only one car. And with Tracy history of getting involved in on track incidents, FCR could quickly find them selves out of the game during races and watching as spectators like fans.

Regarding Paul Tracy as the team focus....well from what I heard, this is what may have had to do with dissent amongst the ranks in the first place! The 2nd team car crew were apparently jealous that Paul's crew and car got preferential treatment over the years which festered and came to a boil this year. There was not much cooperation between Aj's squad and Paul's crew apparently. You can't have this attitude on a team, it's acts as a cancer, everyone has to pull together and work for the common good. Forsythe has the right to name a primary driver who gets first calling, and since he signed Paul as the #1 guy for 5 seasons the team better get behind him. If not, it's good bye charlie. And that's exactly what was done!

Also, I heard the Forsythe is not happy about the fact that his team has not been able to land a big name sponsor when lessor teams have. he paid people handsomely to bring in new sponsors to the team and they didn't deliver. He thus has taken steps to restructure his team which is his prerogative as the man that writes the cheques!

Last edited by NoGuts-NoGlory; 5 Jan 2007 at 22:21.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1807810)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good points there about technical strategic data minimized by a one car effort, particularly with the new car this year. So yes quite a lot less data then what would be...
Old 6 Jan 2007, 03:00 (Ref:1807914)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Bug
Surely that should be the other way around?
Why ?

No doubt that Carroll is quick. However a competitive Ranger will do more for this championship than a competitive Carroll
Old 6 Jan 2007, 04:27 (Ref:1807928)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Also, I heard the Forsythe is not happy about the fact that his team has not been able to land a big name sponsor when lessor teams have. he paid people handsomely to bring in new sponsors to the team and they didn't deliver.
What lesser teams have sponsors other than say CDW with RuSport and probably Minardi due to Stoddart's connections?

Where are you hearing this information from. Please don't take offense to the question, but lots of people claim to have inside info, but few are able to back it up. (That's not to say that you can't, guys like Muzza, teamowner, etc. are credible sources of inside info)
Old 6 Jan 2007, 04:40 (Ref:1807933)   #19
NoGuts-NoGlory
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
What lesser teams have sponsors other than say CDW with RuSport and probably Minardi due to Stoddart's connections?

Where are you hearing this information from. Please don't take offense to the question, but lots of people claim to have inside info, but few are able to back it up. (That's not to say that you can't, guys like Muzza, teamowner, etc. are credible sources of inside info)
I am a member of champcar forum that has insiders regularly post. There is 3-4 champ car team engineers, Paul genollossi occasional posts, neil micklewright chimes in also. There are also members that may not work in the paddock but who have access to insiders.

The information i gave came from various sources in side the CC paddock. most were by race engineers.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 11:59 (Ref:1808111)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
In other words CCF/CW....
Old 8 Jan 2007, 00:04 (Ref:1809191)   #21
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
No second car.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto.../34657/?page=1
Old 8 Jan 2007, 01:04 (Ref:1809220)   #22
NoGuts-NoGlory
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
See snrub, I wasn't making this stuff up!
Old 8 Jan 2007, 02:43 (Ref:1809245)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They may have to (or be asked really nicely to...) run 2 if the # of cars contracted to run dont turn up from the first round....

Interesting that the team only has 2 cars.. does this mean there are no spares if Indeck Forsythe run the 2 chassis?
Old 8 Jan 2007, 04:22 (Ref:1809265)   #24
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thats a huge shame about not running a 2nd car but I guess you can understand Forsythe's decision since its his own money he is using
Old 8 Jan 2007, 06:23 (Ref:1809297)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

Seems rather odd and contradictory considering all the testing FCR has been doing with 2nd drivers.

I wouldnt write a 2nd car off totally for the moment, as Mickelwright said but something is going to have to happen.

Walmart to step up higher behind Ranger or Simone with his 2million and some additional sponsors from somewhere.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 8 Jan 2007 at 06:26.