Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Jan 2007, 21:15 (Ref:1807760)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any updates on da Matta?

Does anyone know of any updates of Cristiano da Matta? Just I'm dying to know how he's recovering and I HOPE he can be fit to race this year. HOPE that is.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 05:32 (Ref:1807954)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last I heard there were no plans to race this year at a minimum. Which I think is wise considering what happened. My own personal opinion is that it is unlikely he'll ever race an open wheel car ever again.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1808012)   #3
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Last I heard there were no plans to race this year at a minimum. Which I think is wise considering what happened. My own personal opinion is that it is unlikely he'll ever race an open wheel car ever again.
i personally dont swee why not if makes a full recovery. im dont know much bout how da matta is recovering but i was sure they said he would make full recovery?

if so dont see why he cant return to open wheel, as long as he doesnt have any thoughts in the back of his mind!
Old 6 Jan 2007, 10:47 (Ref:1808056)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure he'll never race an open wheel car again - what happened was a freak accident but it depends how he deals with that mentally - if he can deal with that and physically recovers well enough as well I see no reason why he can't / won't return but it's the mental side of things that will really make the difference I think.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1808091)   #5
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last I read, he was back home with friends and family but still undergoing some physical therapy. He could remember everything up to, but not including, the deer encounter. Sorry I can't remember the source to cite it but it was a motor racing news website.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 15:11 (Ref:1814299)   #6
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I understand his racing days are done. Couldn't tolerate another trauma to the head.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 15:13 (Ref:1814304)   #7
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
where did you get that from?
Old 13 Jan 2007, 15:18 (Ref:1814310)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't race again, certainly not OW anyways. It's very difficult to return from this type of thing as there are often increased risks involved.

However, I will keep my fingers crossed he does make a return in some form or another. Tin-tops maybe, if he can't do OW?
Old 13 Jan 2007, 15:20 (Ref:1814312)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
Mm sportscar stuff, LM / ALMS etc is still fun...! Wonder if he would be tempted.
Old 13 Jan 2007, 16:05 (Ref:1814341)   #10
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is alot of speculation as to his condition, better if you want to keep up to date to look here http://www.damatta.com/
Old 13 Jan 2007, 16:44 (Ref:1814358)   #11
badgerbaiter
Racer

badgerbaiter has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellB
There is alot of speculation as to his condition, better if you want to keep up to date to look here http://www.damatta.com/
yup, this thread seems to be more full of speculation and guesswork than any actual facts.
anyone know anything for sure?
Old 13 Jan 2007, 16:51 (Ref:1814363)   #12
badgerbaiter
Racer

here is a (computer) translation of da matta's last post on his website (november)

its not very good english, but you get the drift

Good morning to everybody. I have a small story for count.

Gustavo, my brother, that helped me very, bringing up to date the site with the news of the my recuperation, come back it work, after two months me helping and accompanying my handling very of nearby. By that, has walking busy, me leaving responsible by the site.

It like to thank God and to everybody by the positive thought and given support to me in this difficult moment. The result of this current positive is that I am practically 100% healthy, leading a normal life and focado in my recuperation all the time.

Graces to the physiotherapy, already I recuperated entirely the movement of my shoulder, however still necessary work a little more in the force. My physiotherapists and my doctors are enough satisfied with the speed of the my recuperation. I am very happy by already be apt it do all the things that amuse myself, as touch guitar, ride a bicycle in the roll, run on foot and take advantage of all that time in Beautiful Horizon with my family, friends and girlfriend.

Like this that will have more news, I come back it write. Again, it obliged!
Old 13 Jan 2007, 16:56 (Ref:1814366)   #13
Suze
Veteran

England
There is an English language option as well for the website, which gives a (slightly) better translation
Old 13 Jan 2007, 17:09 (Ref:1814371)   #14
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
There is an English language option as well for the website, which gives a (slightly) better translation
yeah i clicked on that twice and nothing happened.. must be good old firefox
Old 13 Jan 2007, 17:15 (Ref:1814372)   #15
Suze
Veteran

England
Hms fine in IE, can't seem to direct link I'm afraid, apologies!

Hope for another update soon...
Old 13 Jan 2007, 17:19 (Ref:1814376)   #16
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a difficult time with the English tab. It would keep opening in spainish. After four attempts it appeared in English. Don't know if this is acceptable but here it is:

"11.29 10:54am | Cristiano da Matta - Ninety-nine percent

Hello everyone. I have a little story to tell.

My brother Gustavo, who helped me a lot these last couple of months updating these web site, with all the news about my recovery, is back at work. So now I'm in charge.

I would like to thank God, and all of you for the praying and the support given to me through these difficult time. The result of all of you thinking the same way about these is that I’m almost completely recovered, living a normal life and phocused on my health.

Due to the physical therapy, I can already move my arm whatever way I want, and I know I just need to work a tiny little bit on my strength. All my doctors and physical therapists are impressed with how fast I’ve been getting better. I’m very happy to be able to do almost all the stuff I would do normally through any given day, as playing guitar, running, spinning in my stationary bike, and really enjoy all this time I’ve been spending with my family, friends and my girlfriend.

As soon as I have more news, I’ll let you know right away. Thank you one more time! "
Old 13 Jan 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1814430)   #17
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
99 percent - Sounds very encouraging
Old 13 Jan 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1814558)   #18
badgerbaiter
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinthestreets
I had a difficult time with the English tab. It would keep opening in spainish.
thats portuguese
Old 13 Jan 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1814562)   #19
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that means 99% of normal life, though, rather than 99% of being able to race single seaters.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 02:09 (Ref:1814633)   #20
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if he was to return,would he have the speed and the passion,have a look at junqueira,when he break his back in 05,he return to racing and he stuggled to be as good as he was,the same i think will happen with with damatta.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1814703)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were many factors outside of Junky's accident that affected his 06 results
Old 17 Jan 2007, 16:36 (Ref:1817697)   #22
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
where did you get that from?
Speaking with a neurosurgeon friend and confirmed:

Olvey, Dr. Stephen, RAPID RESPONSE, Haynes Publishing, pg. 229.