Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Apr 2001, 13:56 (Ref:86224)   #1
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Q. Mika, superb run there in the last moments. You managed to pull back, I think about 0.4 (seconds) there. Did you manage to get the maximum from the car today?

MH: I disconnected the traction control in the end, and that helped me a little bit. There were some problems and I had some under-steer, so it was good, but generally it was a big push.

He nearly took pole without TC..what do u guys say bout this now ?
Old 28 Apr 2001, 14:17 (Ref:86232)   #2
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope not, I hope not, I hope not.

TC, IMHO, only helps the reckless, underdisciplined driver and punishes the superior one (the one who can develop a feel and "become one with the machine", to borrow a term from Rudolf Caracciola). I truly hope the race shows you can be faster without the blasted thing.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 14:27 (Ref:86239)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Traction control isn't needed. It's only been made legal because teams have been using it for ages.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Apr 2001, 14:34 (Ref:86242)   #4
laxman
Racer

laxman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TC will surely help the drivers.Look out for teh race.I bet almost everyone will run their TC.They will especially need it for the start.But watch out for the drivers switching off their Tc's while racing.If the teams have learnt anything from today,they will give the driver the option of turning the Tc off whenever he wants from the cockpit.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 16:01 (Ref:86260)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with the lax. TC will make a difference re: tyre wear, throttle response (when you're fatigued, your right foot needs a break!) and in the wet. In QUALIFYING, I can see that being a bit more gung-ho would help. TC would stifle this ragged edge of performance. There's no way this driving style could be maintained in a RACE.
Old 28 Apr 2001, 16:31 (Ref:86266)   #6
DancingMachine
Racer

DancingMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

u guys didnt get me... I know it will help but i just wanted to post this cuz Mika did it without TC. INCREDIBLE
Old 28 Apr 2001, 16:35 (Ref:86270)   #7
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Traction control has an advantage with some drivers more than others - if you've seen the article in the new F1 Racing magazine, you'll know what I mean.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Apr 2001, 17:11 (Ref:86286)   #8
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say, ban the thing (TC) or at least make them work harder to hide it. I'm afraid the removal of the ban will result in the overuse of the less sophisticated forms of TC. At least they should make their software guys work !!

About foot fatigue, well, somehow it doesn't break my heart if someone's ankle gets a little sore. Thant's why the driver should be totally fit.

All in all TC benefits the lead-footed, unskilled guy with poorer physical conditioning. If this is not a step backward, what is !!??
Old 28 Apr 2001, 18:11 (Ref:86298)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SOOO TC can be turned off ????

That will turn out to be a cliche :

"How did manage to make the fast lap ?"

"Well, I just turned off TC and let my skills do the work."

Old 28 Apr 2001, 19:13 (Ref:86309)   #10
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Hakkinen did use TC and that was just a ploy to worry Ferrari
Old 28 Apr 2001, 19:42 (Ref:86317)   #11
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he did not turn it off Robert - but what then gave him the 0.4 sec advantage ???
Nice one Mika !!

I hope the FIA see the error of their ways soon !!
Old 28 Apr 2001, 22:04 (Ref:86374)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That doesn't matter anymore !!!

That's what FIA wanted... it's legal, and ig it makes the
difference or not doesn't matter to them.

We'll see if with improvements the performances will change.
Old 29 Apr 2001, 16:35 (Ref:86686)   #13
Sonatrap
Racer

Sonatrap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean Alesi on TC: "It's stupid and besmirches F1's reputation. We're meant to be the best drivers in the world. Traction Control on standard cars for your regular Tom, Dick or Harry. OK. But in F1, no...."