Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Mar 2007, 21:48 (Ref:1855857)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
FIA restarts - A JOKE!

While watching some Porsche Supercup from the Hungaroring today, the way they had to start the race reminded me of something that occurs in F1 as well. That is, the absolutely HORRID restarts the drivers perform. I mean come on, a 10-15 car lead by the time they get to the s/f line? The FiA should take a leaf out of NASCAR's rulebook on this one, to have a designated restart line, something like 100m from the s/f line or so,and have the cars maintain a neat, tight order, until they reach that line. Also, the restart should be flagged by the flagperson(I have to be PC!), while the drivers wait for it.

I would like to hear others opinion on this, as I believe it can improve the restarts a bit, and make it not such a joke.

Thanks for your time,
Matt.
Old 2 Mar 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1855862)   #2
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree!
Old 2 Mar 2007, 22:25 (Ref:1855880)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit that I don't see the benefit of such an approach, for as I understand it drivers are not supposed to build up significant gaps behind the safety car (which the cars technically are until they pass the start/finish line even though the safety car may not be on track). In addition because the car in front will be able to start accelerating first they will be able to build a gap as the driver behind reacts.

As for having a flag displayed at the start/finish straight at the restart, then I would question what the point would be for drivers know that they can't start racing until they have passed the line and once the safety car has left the track, racing has to start so waving a flag would serve little purpose.
Old 2 Mar 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1855881)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I would like to hear others opinion on this, as I believe it can improve the restarts a bit, and make it not such a joke.

Thanks for your time,
Matt.
How are we going to change it ?
Old 2 Mar 2007, 22:30 (Ref:1855887)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yup can't fault that - I remember a few years ago one of the Mclarens (which was leading - was it Hakkinen?) couldn't get going at the restart and there was a bunch restart, looked great sounded great - and whisper it in F1 circles - it was rather exciting
Old 2 Mar 2007, 22:52 (Ref:1855896)   #6
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think sometimes the gaps that the leader get is a bit silly, but it creates an element of uncertainty, by placing the leader completely responsible.

I see your point though, having them all bunched up is much more exciting.
Old 2 Mar 2007, 23:17 (Ref:1855905)   #7
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
I have to admit that I don't see the benefit of such an approach, for as I understand it drivers are not supposed to build up significant gaps behind the safety car (which the cars technically are until they pass the start/finish line even though the safety car may not be on track). In addition because the car in front will be able to start accelerating first they will be able to build a gap as the driver behind reacts.

As for having a flag displayed at the start/finish straight at the restart, then I would question what the point would be for drivers know that they can't start racing until they have passed the line and once the safety car has left the track, racing has to start so waving a flag would serve little purpose.
Well,on the start of the Porsche Supercup race, they used the green flag to signal the start, so why not just use it for all? Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
How are we going to change it ?
We can't, unfortunately, but I was just wondering on peoples opinions.
Old 2 Mar 2007, 23:36 (Ref:1855912)   #8
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I admire your ability to blame it on the FIA.
Old 2 Mar 2007, 23:44 (Ref:1855917)   #9
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
They are the ones who set the rules on the restart procedure.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 01:16 (Ref:1855981)   #10
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always wonder what the drivers are up to? "Huh? Restart? Sorry, missed that one."
Old 3 Mar 2007, 03:49 (Ref:1856040)   #11
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems too manufactured for my liking.

Just keep it as it is. The lead driver deserves the right to set the pace after having the safety car ruin whatever lead they may have.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 03:53 (Ref:1856043)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's because they're not use to it. In Champ Car they do restarts all of the time and the vast majority of time it results in close racing and passing.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 04:57 (Ref:1856053)   #13
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, I've never liked the restarts in F1 (or most european series really), way too strung out way too soon.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 3 Mar 2007, 05:28 (Ref:1856065)   #14
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This one is a struggle to pin on the FIA...this is up to the drivers to get right...they are meant to be the best but seem to never know quite what to do when a restart comes around...

I'm sure, in time they will improve
Old 3 Mar 2007, 09:11 (Ref:1856180)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
I think sometimes the gaps that the leader get is a bit silly, but it creates an element of uncertainty, by placing the leader completely responsible.

I see your point though, having them all bunched up is much more exciting.

With regards to the re-start, the lead car "becomes" the safety car once the actual safety car turns it's lights out, so pulling back is fair, plus a lot safer than the possibility of piling into the safety car. Monza 2000 anyone? We saw the consequences of what can happen after Michael jammed on his brakes.

Imo, the current system is fair, it's down to the guy behind the leader to be on the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
yup can't fault that - I remember a few years ago one of the Mclarens (which was leading - was it Hakkinen?) couldn't get going at the restart and there was a bunch restart, looked great sounded great - and whisper it in F1 circles - it was rather exciting
Australia 1999.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 09:14 (Ref:1856182)   #16
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see no problem. Should driverds not be able to use their brains? It is simple logic that if they build up a lead before the s/f line, they will not lose a place.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1857269)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The drivers behind need to be awake for the restarts to be effective. So often you see the lead guy bite the bullet and get on with it, whilst the second placed guy is too busy dreaming. It only takes a split second and that's it, the leader is away and clear.

The only problem I ever had with restarts in F1 was when a lapped car would hold the field up whilst the leader got away. They didn't just go slow they practically stopped and gave the leader five seconds. This will no longer be a problem under the new rules.

As for the NASCAR, IRL, Champcar restarts etc... they are much better organised, but they are far better drilled in those series and are used to it. Hence Montoya's restarts under safety cars in F1 after his two years in Champcar for example.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 18:05 (Ref:1857270)   #18
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think its up to the drivers to keep tight to the car infront on restarts. Why should the driver infront no untilise an advantage he can get from the restart because the man beind is asleep.
Plus this advantage should be mainatined as the man in front probly lost a comfortable gap when the safety car came out anyway.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 18:29 (Ref:1857288)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the second placed driver isn't on the ball while the first placed driver has scooted off into the distance, then it's his own damn fault that he's so far behind.

As the leader of the race, he has the right to choose how fast he wants to go (within reason) and has the right to 'control' the pack.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1857422)   #20
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup completely agreed.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 01:41 (Ref:1857582)   #21
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
If the second placed driver isn't on the ball while the first placed driver has scooted off into the distance, then it's his own damn fault that he's so far behind.
Fool! It's not his fault - it's the FIA's fault!

To the rest of ya, why don't you make all of F1 like American racing, then, err, you could just watch American racing instead!
Old 4 Mar 2007, 08:43 (Ref:1857746)   #22
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not just F1 who have crappy restarts.

Jeff Burton really has to do some practice.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 13:30 (Ref:1857931)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I really don't get the point of the no overtaking before the start line bit, though. I've always reckoned that once the lights go out on the pace car then the yellows should be withdrawn, then everybody races as soon as the green flag comes out. There's way too much poncing about at the moment and it gets in the way of the race. It's mad that if someone further down the field is awake and gets the drop on the car in front he is effectively penalized by having to wait for the start line. This is also where the problem arises by having lapped cars in the line. If it's green, overtake them and have done with it.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1857935)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
I really don't get the point of the no overtaking before the start line bit, though. ....... It's mad that if someone further down the field is awake and gets the drop on the car in front he is effectively penalized by having to wait for the start line.
Trouble is, thats how accidents happen, the guy in front being asleep etc.

Imagine a safety car at Suzuka, the SC puts it's lights out, the leader of the pack bunch's them up then everyone goes for it into the final chicane, it would be carnage.

I think it's fair not racing till the start/finish line, as knowlesy pointed out, Montoya as an example wasn't hampered by the fact that he couldn't overtake till then. I'm also with knowlesy on the annoying fact of lapped cars in the pack, i haven't heard of the new ruling he mentioned (can anyone explain??) but from what he say's (not alot admittedly ) the new rule sounds fairer?? (unless your the leader that is by the sounds of it )
Old 4 Mar 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1857941)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here is some background to that new ruling I was on about.