Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2007, 20:45 (Ref:1892446)   #1
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Proposal for change in qualifying procedure

Yes, I like the basic format, but I think there is room for improvement. The idea that there are supposed to be practically three shoot-outs throughout qualifying is somewhat hindered and made less exciting by the fact that the top teams and drivers don't have to try hard until they reach Q3.

Why don't they take a page out of the A1GP rulebook and modify Q2 and Q3 to use composite times?
That would mean that in Q1 the the sixteen quickest advance by their laptimes while 17. to 22. are given their places on the grid. In Q2 the ten cars with the quickest composite times of Q1+Q2 advance, while position 11 to 16 are ranked by the same composite. And, finally, in Q3, the times for Q1 and Q2 and of course Q3 would be added and the remaining grid ranked by quickest total for all three single laps added together.

I think it would spice things up a lot.

Comments? Ideas? Improvements? Worth the trouble?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1893261)   #2
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a slightly different idea for a change in quali. I would keep Q1 and Q2 the same, and just make a change to Q3. I think the fuel burning stage is boring and
really rather pointless so my idea is to elimainte the slowest driver every two mins after the first five minutes. This would lengthen the final session to about 25 mins but I think it would mean there was permanent excitement and more chance of somone slipping up and a jumple in the grid poistions.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1893320)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have two ideas that I like but, er, can't decide between.

Idea 1

I think that after Q2 the top 10 should have a 15 minute long sprint race not using race fuel - BUT - the starting order for the sprint race would be decided by a lottery.

Sprint race results would be the top 10 for the GP.

Idea 2

Go back to one lap or the 12 laps/60 minutes. BUT Give the last guy one lottery ball. Every tenth (maybe 20th) or part thereof a driver is faster than the last guy, they get another ball. And use that lottery to decide the grid.

This would cause the drivers at the top to push even harder at the risk of damaging their cars to get more balls.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 16 Apr 2007 at 19:34.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 20:11 (Ref:1893362)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I think the format is fine, though for Q3 they should get rid of the stupid fuel burning, and let all teams run low fuel, but make them submit their fuel loads before qualifying starts.
Old 20 Apr 2007, 14:10 (Ref:1896332)   #5
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprobane
elimainte the slowest driver every two mins after the first five minutes.
Would love to see how that one would play out.
Old 21 Apr 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1896876)   #6
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree it could be a little tricky but I think it would work.

Two minuted would be long enough to turn in another lap so the chance would be there for constant improvement. And if you wanted to make a pit stop it would be a risk of being eliminated versus the advantage of fresh tyres situation.
Old 22 Apr 2007, 02:51 (Ref:1897380)   #7
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
I think the format is fine, though for Q3 they should get rid of the stupid fuel burning, and let all teams run low fuel, but make them submit their fuel loads before qualifying starts.
Why should they have to submit their fuel loads?
Old 22 Apr 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1897602)   #8
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Alx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly, I think they should scrap the whole fuel load declaration idea altogether...
"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, but I feel that life is measured in achievement, and not in years alone"
Old 22 Apr 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1897730)   #9
RWD
Rookie

Scotland
Scotland
RWD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
60 mins, 12 laps, but each car must do 3 laps within each quarter of the hour. Failure to complete 3 laps, within the Quarter (not starting at 14mins into the hour, but complete 3laps by the 15th minuite) you get a 10 place penalty.

No fuel on the cars, just enough to do the laps, but each team should submit their fuel loads to race control before qualifying starts.
scrap this 2 race enignes, but you get a penalty if you change the engine between qualifying and race. That way it will stop them building the qulifying engines, and then changing to a race engine.

Pope Leo X 1475–1521
Old 22 Apr 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1898048)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
They just need to do something about the "fuel burning" part,otherwise it's not too bad.
Old 22 Apr 2007, 23:50 (Ref:1898081)   #11
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
I agree. To my surprise I actually quite enjoy the knockout format. It adds interest to the early parts of qualifying and gives some attention to the mid-field teams.

Just make Q3 a straight shootout on low-fuel and it'd be perfect.

I never quite got the whole qualifying on race fuel idea in the first place. It just means the pace they qualify with will be the pace they start the race with. There's something more interesting about having fast one-lap cars qualifying well up the grid and having to battle off the better long-run cars during the race.

More likely to lead to on track action I would think.
Old 22 Apr 2007, 23:54 (Ref:1898083)   #12
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
... also might lead to more tactical decisions/differences in the way teams design and setup their cars for a weekend.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 02:48 (Ref:1898145)   #13
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i reckon scrap the fuel burning part in Q3 and it would be fine, as a few have said before.