Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 29 May 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1923535)   #1
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adding Lightness

What do you people do to make your vehicles lighter? Drilling holes in things, titanium bolts, removing things, smaller battery?

Jeff
Old 29 May 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1923547)   #2
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not eating before the practice and the race

Going to the loo before you go out, every ounce counts!

Exchanging metal panels for GRP or carbon fibre ones, where possible.
Old 29 May 2007, 10:09 (Ref:1923605)   #3
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Removing everything you don't need - underseal, sound deadening, door internals - they can weigh an enormous amount, trim, excess wiring, instruments and switches, heater, air-con, spare wheel, jack!

Replacing as many items with lighter materials/components as you can - as in the battery, window glass, tanks, radiators, seats, body panels, wheels, tyres, brake calipers, suspension components. Steel floors and bulkheads can sometimes be replaced safely with alloy.

Holes are good - in the right places!

Carrying the minimum amount of fluids.

Don't overpaint - have you weighed a two and a half litre can of paint?

I'm sure the list can be added to - but I have to go to work now!
Old 29 May 2007, 11:16 (Ref:1923656)   #4
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loose the beer gut and 20 lbs.

Rember many race classes have minium wt requirenments*. Loose as much wt as possible, so balest can be added in approprate places, close to the center of the floor pan, to lower the CoG.

* Measured after the race, with drive and fuel, in the impound period or post race tech

Last edited by AU N EGL; 29 May 2007 at 11:19.
Old 29 May 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1923912)   #5
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't just drill things randomly - make sure there is enough material to take the stresses imposed, make sure it doesn't encourage stress raisers, and if necessary reinforce around the drillings.

Even better, design the part with lightening drillings already in place.
Old 29 May 2007, 17:39 (Ref:1923984)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Initially it's easy to get rid of a fair bit of weight by all of the above including race tyres if allowed . It then all starts getting rather silly and really expensive to get rid of a small amount . It depends like anything in motorsport, how much money you can afford to throw away.
I've never heard it called "Adding Lightness" though !
Old 29 May 2007, 17:54 (Ref:1923997)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER

"It gets hard to add in any more lightness"...Don Garleits

American Drag racing legend.
Old 29 May 2007, 23:29 (Ref:1924260)   #8
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd thought it had come from one of the 750MC legends, Chapman, Mallock or someone like that - but I guess a few people lay claim to it.
Old 29 May 2007, 23:46 (Ref:1924265)   #9
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
I always thought the term was Colin Chapman's, but I cannot find any thing at the moment to back it up.

I don't have a beer gut, I lost 10kg last year and we're still quite a bit over the class minimum. I'm trying to shave bits off for minimal cost as it's probably cheaper than trying to squeeze out more horsepower.

Jeff

Old 30 May 2007, 00:20 (Ref:1924278)   #10
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could also cut off any excess threads on the end of bolts, drill the centres of non structural bolts, use cable ties instead, remove any wiring from the loom that is not necessary, replace steel brackets with alloy. If you want to get really serious, you could take to your block with a grinder and remove unecessary weight from it. The list is possibly endless.
Old 30 May 2007, 06:00 (Ref:1924353)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like the Colin Chapman story of making someone strip a car after building it,the reason being that the builder had used washers on all fixings!!
Old 30 May 2007, 08:44 (Ref:1924433)   #12
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, you will gain more from moving as many components as possible lower in the car to lower the CoG (including the driver) than lightening a few things. Lower CoG is more important that lowest possible weight, especially as reducing weight can start to effect reliability.

Can you move your fuse box lower, the battery to a lower point. Can you shave off 1cm off the seat mountings, so the ~75kg human is 1cm lower?
Old 30 May 2007, 09:50 (Ref:1924468)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
adding lightness . . .seam weld box sections and fill them with Helium

I've heard of all sorts of extreme and daft ideas, but one thing nobody in historics does is go on a diet !!!
Old 30 May 2007, 14:16 (Ref:1924674)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly

I've heard of all sorts of extreme and daft ideas, but one thing nobody in historics does is go on a diet !!!
too many good stories to share after the first day in the pub.
Old 30 May 2007, 18:17 (Ref:1924839)   #15
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't find if Chapman did say it, or any of the quoted variants - "To add speed, just add lightness" , "To go faster, .....", or "Just add lightness".

His Internet biographer does say, "Chapman was unswerving in his devotion to minimalist design philosophy" . http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/chap_bio.htm
And another: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...4/smstat14.xml
says that many of his innovations "involved inspired reductions to a car's weight" which both echo the thought.

Another mythical quote? So right it has to be true, even if there is no evidence?

Jhn
Old 30 May 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1924863)   #16
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems like it might be this guy who said it first:

William B. Stout (1880-1956) is remembered in aviation for his part in the design of the famous Ford Tri-Motor "Tin Goose" and in automotive circles for the Scarab, nine of which were built. His credo "Simplicate. Add lightness" was reflected in the Scarab design by eliminating running boards (allowing a wider body interior), placing the engine in the rear and incorporating a smooth airflow body, based on unit construction (no frame as such).

I think C Chapman once said "To go faster, add lightness"

Last edited by phoenix; 30 May 2007 at 18:50.
Old 30 May 2007, 21:39 (Ref:1924976)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As in "If it doe,snt break ,Its too heavy".