Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 27 Jun 2007, 16:03 (Ref:1948227)   #1
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalling- Laguna Seca

Hello everyone, we have the opertunity to marshal at LAGUNA SECA, california next year.
Is there any one here who has been before, we want to make a 2 week holiday of it (be rude not to)
The marshaling side of things are being taken care of, just need info on flights, nearest airports, places to stay, things to do ect.....
Been to daytona a few years ago and basically it was pick up hire car and stop at any motel (hundreds of them in florida).
Can we expect something similar or are we in the middle of no where.....
Any help would be much appreciated as were trying to put the wheels in motion....and start saving......(must cut down on the weekend drinkies???)

thankyou....Tony.W
Old 27 Jun 2007, 18:34 (Ref:1948346)   #2
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had the pleasure of a visit there last year, for an SCCA regional. The local SCCA folk are wonderful hosts, and will look after you well! YOu already said teh marshalling side was being looked after, but drop me a line if you need any more help.
As for the area - main airport nearby is San Francisco, (or San Jose) - pick up a rental then Laguna Seca is just outside Monterey (about 2-3 hours south). Lots to do in the area - Monterey Bay Aquarium, 12 mile drive, Many Golf courses - and you muct drive down Hwy 1!!
San Francisco also provides many activities, as will Silicon Valley between Laguna and San Francisco.
As for accomodation, we stayed at a Motel in Salinas (Best Western I think, or Motel 6) - about 15 minutes from the circuit, and very reasonably priced. Basic accomodation, but nice. Plenty of restaurants in the area. You can stay in Monterey, but that is much more pricey ($250/night compared to $50/night).
Hope that helps - pm me if you need any more help!
Old 30 Jun 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1950473)   #3
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I echo Rich's sentiments -- you'll have a blast at Laguna with the SF Region SCCA folks. They really go out of their way to make visiting marshals welcome (and their Social group makes a mean sandwich).

Closest airport (aside from Monterey, which is often fogged in, and is very small) is San Jose, two-ish hours north. San Francisco will add an hour to the trip, but it's a nice hour!

Blueflagger and Racegypsy will laugh their heads off at this, but Gilroy (on the interstate south of San Jose) has a really good outlet mall. Gilroy is also "the garlic capitol of the world".

If you take Hwy 1 south from San Jose you'll go right down the coast. Santa Cruz is a great town, bills itself as "the other Surfin' USA" due to its surfing history. If my memory serves me right, one of the SF Region marshals owns a darn good Thai restaurant there. Just north of Santa Cruz is one of my favourite wineries, Bonny Doon. In fact there are several good vineyards in the Santa Cruz area, as well as further south inland from Monterey and in the Paso Robles area.

If you happen to be going to Laguna for a pro race, do book your hotel well ahead -- I recommend the Motel 6 in Marina (just north of Monterey) if Salinas doesn't interest you, altho Salinas *is* interesting (original home of author John Steinbeck).

Hope this helps. If you are going for a pro race, maybe I'll see ya there!
keke
Old 30 Jun 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1950698)   #4
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Depending upon the event, hotel rooms can be very scarce.

In '03 I was a Communicator on the landline (no radios) as well as a Starter for the "Historics" in August and rooms were at a premium due to the large spectator turnout. I had a motel room in Salinas, about 15 minutes East of the circuit. Monterrey will be much more expensive.

I would suggest you try THIS or THIS website. There is no need to provide a user name & password if you are browsing unless some of the franchises exist in the UK and you are a participant in their rewards program. Both websites provide maps with locations.

Just enter "Salinas" (or Monterrey), "CA" & the dates of travel.

Old 1 Jul 2007, 00:02 (Ref:1950914)   #5
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you put "Monterrey" in (with two r's) you'll end up booking a hotel in Mexico and on the opposite side of the continent.

keke
Old 1 Jul 2007, 00:40 (Ref:1950920)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke
If you put "Monterrey" in (with two r's) you'll end up booking a hotel in Mexico and on the opposite side of the continent.

keke
I hate it when that happens.
Old 1 Jul 2007, 20:13 (Ref:1951749)   #7
gwar
Racer

Thankyou everyone for your replies,i will print your replies for future use and also pm you later on....excelant advise thankyou
Really looking forward to this, better start saveing asap.
Allways watched champcars, moto gp on tv....looks fantastic and the corksrew...wow...nigel mansell described it as a rollercoaster ride
(showing my age know)
Once again thankyou, and hopefully see some of you there...
Old 2 Jul 2007, 05:32 (Ref:1951987)   #8
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
It might be fun in a racing car but nothing beats the Corkscrew from the back of a pickup, hanging on for dear life!

Even if you work a station elsewhere on the course, if you ask nicely they will let you ride worker trans for the full trip. I highly recommend it -- altho working T8 or 8A is stunning.

keke
Old 2 Jul 2007, 10:38 (Ref:1952148)   #9
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Business as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke
It might be fun in a racing car but nothing beats the Corkscrew from the back of a pickup, hanging on for dear life! keke
Especially if you are facing BACKWARDS!
Old 2 Jul 2007, 14:13 (Ref:1952358)   #10
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna was my American baptism, ans what a baptism! A great track in wonderful countryside. Be sure to visit Carmel, it's not far, Clint Eastwood's old haunt. Watch "Cry Misty For Me" before you go...
...Some of the people we met in October 1989 are still among my best friends.

And whatever else you do, drive south on Highway one...I've done it 3 times now.

Plus I concurr with Keke about the corkscrew in a pick-up! Wow! The only turn that competes with Paddock at Brands for sheer...er...BALLS!
Old 2 Jul 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1952734)   #11
gwar
Racer

That would be fantastic to hitch a ride around the track, sounds good on a pick up.
Question; if you were on a padal bike (cycle) and started at the top of the corkscrew, how far do you reckon you could free wheel down......could you make it to the start finish straight (that then go,s down hill towards turn one)
Dont forget i havnt been there, i,m only on previous footage from tv and the old faithfull sony playstation............ one day i might grow up
Old 2 Jul 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1952787)   #12
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
Well, the downhill doesn't really end until T11 so assuming you don't wipe out before then you'd probably get to the apex of 11. I don't think you could freewheel all the way to start-finish because what you can't see on TV is that it's uphill from T11 to there.

That said, the concept of taking the Corkscrew on a bicycle scares the &^%$ outta me. Like they say in the ads, "Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt"!

keke
Old 3 Jul 2007, 13:27 (Ref:1953405)   #13
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watsonville, a bit up the coast, South of Santa Cruz in apparently the "Artichoke Capital" of the world, or North maerica, or something!

As for a ride round, we went on an SCCA regional, and were treated to Pace Car rides... and not just a quick lap -- picked up in between races, then we stopped on the front straight - yes, I was passenger in the pace car for the whole next race (2 FCY). Then droppepd off on post for the next race. Wayyy too cool.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 22:10 (Ref:1953762)   #14
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar
Hello everyone, we have the opertunity to marshal at LAGUNA SECA, california next year.
Ooh you lucky person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert
Laguna was my American baptism,
Mine too! I did A1GP there last year and was VERY well looked after by the local marshalling family. I was at the Corkscrew for the Friday and Sunday and Pit Exit for Saturday. I totally agree that the Corkscrew is the most awesome corner in the world!

I flew into San Francisco and spent a few days there before driving down to Monterey. If you do that, make sure you do all the touristy things like visiting Alcatraz. It's well worth the visit and if you don't you'll only regret it - you can't just "pop back" at a moment's notice. The Cable Car museum / winding house was also very interesting (but I am an engineer) and you have to see the steepest street to believe it!

I probably should have spent a little more time in the Monterey / Carmel area after the race (but I had to get home) I didn't really get a chance to see that side of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoowert
Plus I concurr with Keke about the corkscrew in a pick-up! Wow! The only turn that competes with Paddock at Brands for sheer...er...BALLS!
I took the Union Flag with me and "flew" it out of the pick-up each morning and evening on the way to / from post. I guess they soon realised they were dealing with a nutter and humo(u)red me.

I would love to go back

PJ
Old 4 Jul 2007, 17:32 (Ref:1954401)   #15
gwar
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJuliet
Ooh you lucky person.

I flew into San Francisco and spent a few days there before driving down to Monterey. If you do that, make sure you do all the touristy things like visiting Alcatraz. It's well worth the visit and if you don't you'll only regret it - you can't just "pop back" at a moment's notice. The Cable Car museum / winding house was also very interesting (but I am an engineer) and you have to see the steepest street to believe it!

I probably should have spent a little more time in the Monterey / Carmel area after the race (but I had to get home) I didn't really get a chance to see that side of things.

PJ
Thankyou all for the advice, and yes we intend on making the most of our time over there, with a 2 week holiady.
So hopefully we will have time to do all the tourist stuff....and we will be in touch nearer the time next year....cheers