Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2001, 11:39 (Ref:93541)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGF Takes It Back

Schumacher Recants Montoya Criticism
Speedvision Online

Ferrari’s Michael Schumacher, who was very critical of Williams’ Juan Pablo Montoya after an incident between the two in the Austrian Grand Prix that saw both taking a trip through the gravel trap at the A1-Ring’s Remus Curve on Lap 16 as a result of Schumacher challenging Montoya for the lead, has recanted his comments after reviewing the incident on videotape.

In a comment posted on his personal website today, Schumacher said, "Having watched the race on television and seen what happened on Lap 16, I can say that it was less serious than I had thought at the time.

" I want to make it clear that, in my opinion, it was a normal race incident , as indeed I said later on Sunday night. It has to be said that, when you sit in the car you don't get the overview of the situation, which you can have looking from outside."

================

And the moral of this story is: "Engage brain before pushing mouth launch control."
Old 17 May 2001, 12:09 (Ref:93545)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I dunno.

It gave us plenty to talk about didn't it?
Old 17 May 2001, 13:13 (Ref:93560)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, most of it was negative though. (For TGF anyway.) Still, perhaps he thinks bad publicity is better than none.
Old 17 May 2001, 14:15 (Ref:93572)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
When asked in the post race interview I thought Michael was fairly relaxed in his statement concerning the incident regarding Montoya..ITV-F1 and I quote said " He was furious" I did not get that impression once from Michael..Without a doubt there is a new kid on the block in Montoya, and I think we as fans all appreciate that fact..Now if he(Montoya) can keep his foot out of his mouth!
Regarding good or bad publicity Liz..Michael Schumacher does not have to prove anything..Does he? He has said he was wrong in his take on the lap 16th incident.."I was wrong" what else would you like him to say????
Old 17 May 2001, 14:57 (Ref:93592)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes, whilst we all know (inc. TGF) the move wasn't deliberate, it was still JPM's fault WHICHEVER way you look at it.
Old 17 May 2001, 15:04 (Ref:93594)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I agree Tristan..

Montoya was going to be passed sooner than later..He does not like that concept, I don't blame him for that..IMO he was at fault in Austria.
Old 17 May 2001, 15:13 (Ref:93602)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if Montoya had not broken later than usual there is no way TGF would have got round the outside of him on a 90+ degree corner. It was a silly move.
Old 17 May 2001, 15:26 (Ref:93609)   #8
Tristan
Veteran

I disagree Damon. Other people have managed it at that corner before, TGF very nearly managing it the previous lap. Plus, what with JPM's car being a sitting duck, I reckon he fancied his chances. OR may be he wasn't attempting a pass at all, just having a good look around the outside whilst JPM covered the inside. Still didn't stop JPM taking him out.
Old 17 May 2001, 15:56 (Ref:93624)   #9
laxman
Racer

laxman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think TGf should have tried a few dummies before actually attempting a move.However having said that,he looked very good to take the lead into the corner.What people seem to be forgetting is that montoya would have had to brake much earlier to actually make the corner.As we could all see,the point at which he ended up braking was way way over the limit.I feel that MS would have been able to cut across him easily.
As for the press interview,I think he was very calm about teh whole thing.He didnt seem to be at all 'furious' at montoya in any way.All that is just adding a little bit of spice to the articles.
Old 17 May 2001, 16:03 (Ref:93626)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Well I concede that he was not red faced and screaming as he was in Spa 1998, but it was still quite obvious by the set of his mouth if nothing else that he was not singing hosanna in the highest. And the whole patronizing "We will have to have a talk with him" riff was just a bit over the top, IMO.

Still, he did take it back this time and good for him.

P.S. If he "doesn't have to prove anything" why does he continue trying to prove anything? Same as if he doesn't have to win by extorting points from his teammates, why does he keep on doing it?
Old 17 May 2001, 16:36 (Ref:93639)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Liz
[B]Well I concede that he was not red faced and screaming as he was in Spa 1998, but it was still quite obvious by the set of his mouth if nothing else that he was not singing hosanna in the highest.

From recollection I can't remember Michael ever "been red faced and screaming" in any interview. Should he have been pleased with Mt Montoya's overly ambitious move that nearly took both of them out of the race..No..Would you be singing " "Oh what a glorious feeling" in a post race interview..

Schumacher's consistency while racing says it all.Three world championships...Not bad for a no talent that steals points.
Old 17 May 2001, 17:04 (Ref:93649)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "red faced and screaming" bit doesn't refer to an interview, but rather to TGF's conduct towards DC after he had hit him from behind in that race. (If you remember: "YOU WERE TRYING TO KILL ME!!!!!")
Old 17 May 2001, 17:48 (Ref:93668)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I see what you are saying..Thank you Liz and R
Old 17 May 2001, 17:49 (Ref:93670)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Darn! I liked it so much beter when he was an ill-tempered impulsive lout. Contrition doesn't siut him.

The crack in the armor though is the fact that he does shoot his mouth off under stress. There may ber a moral to this story, Liz, but do you really think he'll learn from it.
Old 17 May 2001, 17:51 (Ref:93671)   #15
Liz
Veteran

In the interests of accuracy, what TGF actually screamed (on International Television) was "You were trying to f***ing kill me!"

When the telemetry proved he was 100% wrong, and when forced to, he shook hands with DC [who with gentlemanly reticence confined himself to a severe "You are an animal!" and prudently kept his helmet on] but both of them looked as if they were metaphorically holding their noses as they did so.
Old 17 May 2001, 17:52 (Ref:93672)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Re: TGF Takes It Back

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
" I want to make it clear that, in my opinion, it was a normal race incident , as indeed I said later on Sunday night. It has to be said that, when you sit in the car you don't get the overview of the situation, which you can have looking from outside."
Now we just need him to admit that he was wrong...

It'll never happen, will it?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 May 2001, 18:04 (Ref:93678)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Politics !

With this soft "I was wrong", he cools off the so long awaited TGF X JPM clash... what he really said was "I am not fighting with this young bad boy, I'm a champion and he is just a rookie."
Old 17 May 2001, 18:10 (Ref:93681)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Ok, Ok !

I'm just waiting for the angry replies.

Old 17 May 2001, 18:27 (Ref:93687)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas

Well how eloquently put... Bononi ...Wow I don't remember that Liz, was that in the post race interview "You were F"""ing trying to kill me" naughty boy Michael..Spank!
Old 17 May 2001, 19:17 (Ref:93704)   #20
Quino
Racer

Quino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is always remarkable that the Schuey-haters base their opinion basically on the fact MS doesn't show human emotion or when he does it's observed as being hypocritical, but at the same time you deny him those exact emotions. You can not accept he was furious after the accident with DC at Spa 1998. You can not accept he was pretty upset by JPM taking him out of contention for victory at Austria 01.

No, now you want him first to measure all his words and take all factors into careful considiration before he says anything about such matters.

So what is exactly that you want? That he shows true emotion or that he doesn't? (While Montoya gets away with anything for the sole reason its MS he is verbally attacking)
Old 17 May 2001, 23:45 (Ref:93830)   #21
Tristan
Veteran

TGF wasn't wrong, he was punted off!! JPM should be the one apologising. It was HIS mistake (albeit not intentional, of course) that ruined both their races.

As I said before, accidently spill something on someone, you apologise. Accidentaly ruin the race of an opponant, YOU APOLOGISE.

Last edited by Tristan; 17 May 2001 at 23:46.
Old 18 May 2001, 01:28 (Ref:93850)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I have larnt from many protest hearings in sailing that different skippers have totally different memories of incidents, and this is no exception to motor racing. In some protests, I do admit that certain skippers will lie to put the other guy out, but very often they genuinely have very poor recollections of what happened in the heat of battle (let alone a split second incident in F1). There was one protest where the 3 crew on one boat gave different accounts of what happened and different distances from the boat which they had infringed - ranging from 1 metre to 5 metres. P.S. That boat was disqualified.
Old 18 May 2001, 01:30 (Ref:93851)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
TGF wasn't wrong, he was punted off!! JPM should be the one apologising. It was HIS mistake (albeit not intentional, of course) that ruined both their races.

As I said before, accidently spill something on someone, you apologise. Accidentaly ruin the race of an opponant, YOU APOLOGISE.
You see!! Even the guys watching the telecast can't remember what happened. TGF wasn't punted off - the two cars never touched. Just have another look at the replay (overhead) of the incident on your tape.
Old 18 May 2001, 19:57 (Ref:94094)   #24
Tristan
Veteran

Granted, I did know this. Whilst there WAS no contact, and thus wasn't exactly a PUNT, it might as well have been!! It didn't exactly leave TGF anywhere else to go.
Old 19 May 2001, 02:52 (Ref:94190)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He could go to Minardi.

No it was definitely NOT a punt and its exaggerated comments like that which inflame discussions.............. So keep it up then.