Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Sep 2007, 07:19 (Ref:2004038)   #1
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Driver change at Penske

Rumor has it that Ryan Briscoe will be returning to the IRL if Sam Hornish goes off to NASCAR.
I wonder who will replace him if this happens?
Old 5 Sep 2007, 09:26 (Ref:2004109)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Possibily Pat Long if CET doesnt happen .
Old 5 Sep 2007, 09:55 (Ref:2004127)   #3
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Possibily Pat Long if CET doesnt happen .
I thought the same thing. However, with more RS Spyders coming out, I imagine some Porsche factory drivers will be shifted to Europe. Maybe Johnny Herbert will end up in Penske?
Old 5 Sep 2007, 11:02 (Ref:2004177)   #4
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently there is a "gentleman’s agreement" between the Dutch team (wont even attempt to remember the name) that will be racing the Spyder in Europe and the ACO that will allow them only to have one pro driver.
I assume that any other team racing Spyders next year will be “encouraged” to make the same agreement.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 13:09 (Ref:2004269)   #5
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman
Apparently there is a "gentleman’s agreement" between the Dutch team (wont even attempt to remember the name) that will be racing the Spyder in Europe and the ACO that will allow them only to have one pro driver.
I assume that any other team racing Spyders next year will be “encouraged” to make the same agreement.
Why should there be an agreement likes this?
Old 5 Sep 2007, 13:26 (Ref:2004280)   #6
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Apparently this is the ACO's way of trying to keep the P2's (read Spyders) as close to "privateer" entries as possible.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 13:53 (Ref:2004296)   #7
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The name is Equipe Verschuur, their pro driver will most likely be Dutch so I do not see any Penske drivers coming to Europe in 2008...except for the mysterious 2nd Spyder that is not yet revealed.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 14:00 (Ref:2004300)   #8
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Thats the one!
Thanks brielga.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 14:01 (Ref:2004301)   #9
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://feedmesportscars.com/node/3020 - link to a story in it if anyone wants it.

The gentlemens agreement is definately there to protect the P2 privateers - particularly as the ACO has been less than happy with Porsche running in P2 - afterall, if it is entirely professional, it will hurt the LMS - its a pro-am type arrangement, everyone can win, including the fans.

As for the Penske spot, if Briscoe does go, my bet is with Pat Long...
Old 5 Sep 2007, 14:08 (Ref:2004309)   #10
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
We agree on the reasons why the ACO forced the agreement.
As for "being bad" for the LMS, well it certainly wasn't bad for the ALMS...unless you are an Audi fan.
It is all a matter of opinion, and I accept that mine is not the current "flavor of the month".
Old 5 Sep 2007, 14:30 (Ref:2004328)   #11
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find this gentleman's agreement leaves me with a certain amount of bad taste in the mouth...I suppose the ACO is suggesting that the RS Spyder itself is overkill for the class? That I dispute - it's the best chassis in class, there is always going to be a best chassis in class, so what if it happens to be Porsche that manufactured it?

It clearly cannot be the team that is being penalized, since it is not a factory effort but rather a wealthy privateer effort, just like others in the LMS. There is certainly no worthy comparison to Penske - maybe to Dyson at best, but you can see during any ALMS race where the operation's professionalism makes the difference when comparing the two Porsche teams.

So basically, the Dutch team is being sanctioned for buying the best car - since 2 pros are already allowed in the LMS P2 class. See Embassy Racing (3 pros at Silverstone). Hmm. Would someone be told they couldn't run a Zytek with 2 pros?
Old 5 Sep 2007, 15:23 (Ref:2004360)   #12
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I'm in complete agreement.
Most of what the ACO does these days leaves me with a bad taste going in and a worse smell coming out.
They have their agenda, and nothing will stand in their way.... not even good racing.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 15:35 (Ref:2004368)   #13
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
The "problem" is that the ACO can pick from 70 or 80 teams that want to get into LMS. So if they don't like what you're doing, they don't have to pick you. As there's no set of rules that defines that picking processes, you're basically dependant on the ACOs mercy...
Old 5 Sep 2007, 15:39 (Ref:2004372)   #14
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The sad thing is that while the ACO is bad, the FIA is worse! At least the former is going in a direction where they have a glut of interested parties they have to pick from...the latter is going to be lucky if anyone gives a damn, should they press ahead with new regulations.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 01:08 (Ref:2004782)   #15
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would choose the ACO any day over the FIA - at least the ACO is trying to preserve and enhance motorsport and sportscar racing...

You can see that in the decision to enter into an agreement for a pro-am partnership here - I am sure that if the car is slow or reguarlarly being beaten, they will revisit this decision.

The difference between this and say Embassy is that the Porsche has had more money than the Radical could ever see go into the development and if this was to be let loose in the LMS, it could damage it. After all as it was said here, the LMS is spoilt for choice and they have problems in P1 and they are trying to avoid the same problem in P2 (afterall Peugeot do inject a lot more money in the series than Equipe Verschuur will).

Don't forget that despite all appearances, the LMS and ALMS are different series with different problems right not - this is probably the best way to test case the Porsche RS Spyder in Europe right now.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 02:48 (Ref:2004801)   #16
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Kind of like a smaller restrictor diameter, but much harder to overcome through engineering?
Old 6 Sep 2007, 05:29 (Ref:2004832)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I cant see BMS agreeing to that , and why should they ? If thats where the 2nd Spyder is going . Indeed , I suspect they will have a 2 car opp , they never ran a single car since the 911 GT1 and this years 997 .

Last edited by The Badger; 6 Sep 2007 at 05:32.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 05:51 (Ref:2004839)   #18
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
I would choose the ACO any day over the FIA - at least the ACO is trying to preserve and enhance motorsport and sportscar racing...
Well, again that is a matter of opinion. In my opinion, developing outrageously pro-diesel rules in detriment of all others is not exactly "enhancing" motor sport. Where is the ACO's concern with lesser finically capable teams when they drew up those set of regs? Did they not know that the diesel "adventure" is way out of reach of most teams (even in P1)

Quote:
I You can see that in the decision to enter into an agreement for a pro-am partnership here - I am sure that if the car is slow or reguarlarly being beaten, they will revisit this decision.
You mean like they do when everyone that doesn't have a diesel gets stomped on at Le Mans?

Quote:
The difference between this and say Embassy is that the Porsche has had more money than the Radical could ever see go into the development and if this was to be let loose in the LMS, it could damage it. After all as it was said here, the LMS is spoilt for choice and they have problems in P1 and they are trying to avoid the same problem in P2 (afterall Peugeot do inject a lot more money in the series than Equipe Verschuur will).
The problems in P1 are of their own making, as are the perceived ones in P2.
It's interesting to see the time and effort wasted on a perceived problem (P2) over a very real one in P1.

Quote:
Don't forget that despite all appearances, the LMS and ALMS are different series with different problems right not - this is probably the best way to test case the Porsche RS Spyder in Europe right now.
I'm not sure Porsche or the teams running them have volunteered to be guinea pigs
Old 6 Sep 2007, 05:52 (Ref:2004840)   #19
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And just where is this rumor of a gentlemens agreement coming from?? Got a link or something?

L.P.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 06:05 (Ref:2004841)   #20
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Ask and you shall receive.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/25/p...-lemans-debut/
Old 6 Sep 2007, 07:31 (Ref:2004880)   #21
The Badger
Veteran

I think this so called "gentlemans agreement" is a load of crap !!!

Teams opperate under rules ..... Micheal Schumacher had a "gentlemans agreement" with Eddie Jordan back in 1991 ..... and look what happened there .

Its up to the teams on who they want to peddle their car , providing they have the nessessary licence .

Taking a look at the performanance of the Dyson Spyders in the ALMS and reading what Andy Wallace has to say about the setup of the Spyder , im not sure it will run away with anything in the LMS unless it has 2 top drivers ? Its up to the other teams to come up with a challanging package and not handicap the crack teams .
Old 6 Sep 2007, 08:03 (Ref:2004921)   #22
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
It is because of crap like this that some of us become so skeptical about the ACO.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 09:01 (Ref:2004961)   #23
The Badger
Veteran

I suspect that Darid Hart will be the 2nd driver . Thats why the team can make a "gentlemans agreement" to the ACO , because that probably was always the case .

Try telling Toyota that if they decided on entering LMP2 , like Mazda , and Acura ..... that would probably keep them away .
Old 6 Sep 2007, 09:30 (Ref:2004991)   #24
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can guarantee you it was not the case and the original idea was 2 pros and a gentleman....
Old 6 Sep 2007, 09:56 (Ref:2005014)   #25
The Badger
Veteran

I did hear that Jeroen Bleekamolen was mentioned for the drive ..... but I suspect that Hart will be the other driver , or was it an LMP1 drive that he was mentioned with ? I cant remember correctly .