Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:25 (Ref:2005623)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2007 Italian GP thread.

Hoorah. The Italian GP at Monza. Speed. Excitement. Speed. A touch of danger. Speed. Italians. Err....a nice podium.

And the best part of this is next week we are off to Spa too. What a great part of the season this is with all the tension of title chases on top.

Sadly, we head to Monza with bad news in the air. Yes, it saddens me to say this, but yet another tarmac run-off has been installed. It is at the second chicane. A "racing driver" explains:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Coulthard
"Anything that improves safety has got to be a good thing. It is a fact that tarmac slows the car down quicker than gravel. The old theory of digging into gravel is fine, but what happens with these flat bottom cars is that they bounce over the gravel."
Whatever you do DC, do not have a suspension or brake failure at the second chicane. Your theory may then look thin.

Next year they want the kerbs flattened. The kerbs are a part of Monza! Stop it GPDA! I want you all to retire. I am bored with the wimpishness. Why not lie in bed with a mug of Horlicks instead of pretending to be warriors of the track? Still, I will try not to let these details spoil Monza.

Can we expect any surprises here this year? Will Alonso emulate Schumacher's retirement announcement of last season perhaps? Will McLaren be given a heroes welcome by the Tifosi? Will Yamamoto look like a competent GP driver? The mind boggles.

UK viewers warning: qualifying will be shown on an obscure ITV digital channel. Those folk stuck in the dark ages still will have to make do with an enthralling rugby contest and, let me tell you, it is a true "Clash Of The Titans", a game far more important than some crumby four way F1 title fight. *snigger*

Those who do get to watch qualifying, look out for controversy. In 2006 a new rule was created, specifically for Monza, where any driver on the track at the same time as a Ferrari driver is stripped of their times and demoted down the grid. Look out for eight cars staying in their garages.

Enjoy the race/rugby.

Current drivers championship standings
Pos.DriverTeamPointsWins
1.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes843
2.Fernando AlonsoMcLaren-Mercedes793
3.Felipe MassaFerrari693
4.Kimi RaikkonenFerrari683
5.Nick HeidfeldBMW-Sauber470
6.Robert KubicaBMW-Sauber290
7.Heikki KovaleinenRenault190
8.Giancarlo FisichellaRenault170
9.Alexander WurzWilliams-Toyota130
10.Nico RosbergWilliams-Toyota90
11.Mark WebberRed Bull-Renault80
11=David CoulthardRed Bull Renault80
13.Jarno TrulliToyota70
14.Ralf SchumacherToyota50
15.Takuma SatoSuper Aguri-Honda40
16.Jenson ButtonHonda10
16=Sebastien VettelBMW-Sauber10

Current constructors championship standings
Pos.ConstructorPointsWins
1.McLaren-Mercedes1486
2.Ferrari1376
3.BMW-Sauber770
4.Renault360
5.Williams-Toyota220
6.Red Bull-Renault160
7.Toyota120
8.Super Aguri-Honda40
9.Honda10
10Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari00
10=Spyker-Ferrari00

Italian GP: recent history

2006 top eight finishers
Pos.DriverTeamTime/gapGrid pos.
1.Michael SchumacherFerrari1h14m51.9752nd
2.Kimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes+8.046Pole
3.Robert KubicaBMW-Sauber+26.4146th
4.Giancarlo FisichellaRenault+32.0459th
5.Jenson ButtonHonda+32.6855th
6.Rubens BarrichelloHonda+42.4098th
7.Jarno TrulliToyota+44.66211th
8.Nick HeidfeldBMW-Sauber+45.3093rd

DriverTeamLaptime
2006 fastest lapKimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes1m22.559
2006 pole positionKimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes1m21.484
Lap recordRubens BarrichelloFerrari1m21.046 (set in 2004)

Other previous winners
YearDriverTeam
2005Juan Pablo MontoyaMcLaren-Mercedes
2004Rubens BarrichelloFerrari
2003Michael SchumacherFerrari
2002Rubens BarrichelloFerrari
2001Juan Pablo MontoyaWilliams-BMW
2000Michael SchumacherFerrari
1999Heinz-Harald FrentzenJordan-Mugen Honda
1998Michael SchumacherFerrari
1997David CoulthardMcLaren-Mercedes
1996Michael SchumacherFerrari

Circuit and race weekend information
Circuit map and timetable
Live timing
Event artwork
Official site

Natter natter in the chat room.

Try this for size: predictions competition.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:43 (Ref:2005643)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
How do you make tables like that? It has been bugging me for a longtime.

Yet more tarmac run-off.... Years ago, before they were all the rage, I argued that they were more effective than gravel traps (I did not want them introduced, but I argued they were more effective). Sad days, . Drivers should not be able to get away with stuff so easily...

At least they haven't added an extra chicane, or anything.

I just don't know what to expect from this weekend at all...
Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:46 (Ref:2005648)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

Those who do get to watch qualifying, look out for controversy. In 2006 a new rule was created, specifically for Monza, where any driver on the track at the same time as a Ferrari driver is stripped of their times and demoted down the grid. Look out for eight cars staying in their garages.
Either that, or they'll just stay in the pits to block their teammates.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:49 (Ref:2005653)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
*applauds*
Old 6 Sep 2007, 21:54 (Ref:2005692)   #5
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as ever, fabulous preview knowlesy..

Rugby? pah! I want to see my 2hr hour coverage of Lewis Hamilton I do!! I feel deprived...

Still, I'm pretty exhausted already from the revelations of the last 2 days...I mean it's like bloody buses: you wait 3 weeks for a dull race, then another 2 weeks with all but a tumbleweed blowing across you...only to all of a sudden get 2 of the best grand prixs on the calendar, two F1 court hearings that could change the face of the championships, and a rush of explosive news all within the space of 14 days!

It's just not right, I tell ya.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 21:56 (Ref:2005693)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is the point in kerbs if they're flat and drivers can drive over them without it causing a problem? They're merely an extension of the track.

It's like in 1996 when they hooped those tyres over something solid and the drivers complained that they were hitting them. Should they complain in Monaco that there is a barrier in their way?
Old 6 Sep 2007, 22:08 (Ref:2005697)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Part of me has often thought they should just do away with kerbs altogether (assuming there to not be tarmac run-off immediately by the track itself).

Kerbs look cool, though, so I want them to stay. They should be challenging, though, I agree.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2005698)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Will McLaren be given a heroes welcome by the Tifosi?
They'd generally rather swallow poison.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 23:37 (Ref:2005734)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Should they complain in Monaco that there is a barrier in their way?

I agree that they should remove the barriers.Cars that would otherwise end up in the swimming pool are just getting clean away with it.

Nice intro Knowlesy.And about bloody time as well.

Last edited by Marbot; 6 Sep 2007 at 23:41.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 01:26 (Ref:2005758)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Stellar work as always Knowlesy.. DC "Do you take sugar in your Horlicks" Any car that is not painted red is in trouble for just being there this weekend..I do love Monza though.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 10:16 (Ref:2005957)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's a sports bar here showing the F1 and the rugby.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 11:26 (Ref:2005996)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm hoping for a Ferrari victory (against my better judgement),as I fear that proceedings at the end of the race may prove to be a little unsavoury if another rival team were to win shall we say!

But anyway,there's no sign of rain at Monza and the Earth is still spinning on its axis in that way that it does (unless,of course,you know different).
Old 7 Sep 2007, 11:56 (Ref:2006018)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Monza is typically a boring race for F1, I can't decide whether to go to Donnington for the Renault thing, or to stay in and watch the GP...
Old 7 Sep 2007, 13:03 (Ref:2006067)   #14
CDK 7
Racer

United Kingdom
kings lynn
CDK 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Monza is typically a boring race for F1, I can't decide whether to go to Donnington for the Renault thing, or to stay in and watch the GP...
go to donninton u see more overtaking there not some boring race won in the pits!!!
Old 7 Sep 2007, 14:12 (Ref:2006121)   #15
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this one will be quite an interesting GP actually...the 4 guys are MUCH closer to each other than they probably have been all year. Following friday free practices carefully, qualifying runs, long runs, tyres, sector times, consistency...the two teams, and indeed the four drivers have specific advantages under specific conditions...so the only thing that really stands in the way is fuel loads.

Prepare for either ultra aggressive/contrasting fuel strategies to outwit each other or within a lap of each other to try eliminate the factor of pitstops/inlaps/outlaps...there really is nothing to choose between the four for qualifying.

I expect there to be some track action too *gasp*
Old 7 Sep 2007, 15:28 (Ref:2006163)   #16
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knowlesy:
Great post, thanks. I hope to see Monza one day, it must elicit the same spine chills as driving through the tunnel into the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for those of us with a passion for history and love of the sport.
Can't wait for the race on Sunday AM here (0600 hr broadcast) and all the wacked political drama will be put aside for a couple hours.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 19:21 (Ref:2006325)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella

I expect there to be some track action too *gasp*
Probably all within the first ten seconds.After that,who knows!
Old 7 Sep 2007, 22:39 (Ref:2006442)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wonderful preview mate.

Action !
Old 8 Sep 2007, 04:03 (Ref:2006548)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Look forward to it... at least it's a track that a faster car can actually overtake on.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 04:48 (Ref:2006556)   #20
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That doesnt gurantee anything though. In recent years, Monza has probably been one of the most noticeable parades. I think the cars are seperated too much through Parabolica to be able to do anything about it into the first chicane, which i believe is where theyre reaching the highest speeds.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 04:56 (Ref:2006558)   #21
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's important to remember that there is still a four way battle happening at the moment. By the time Spa comes around that could be changed due to off-track things, so we should all enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 05:15 (Ref:2006561)   #22
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if McLaren are sanctioned further, theyre not guranteed to get the full penalty of DQ from this and next years championship. And even so, thats not guranteed to cover both the constructors AND drivers championship.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 06:03 (Ref:2006573)   #23
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I for one are looking forward to the battles towards the end of the field. STR and Spyker must be desperate to score some points before the end of the year to get their hands on more cash from the pool. Will the new Spyker gearbox give them some sort of advantage over those around them, or will it be so unreliable that they may as well have a 3 speed auto in it?
Old 8 Sep 2007, 08:48 (Ref:2006630)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well the new Spyker looks a bit better from Friday practice. Not much though. And it´s only Friday.

But Toro Rosso are their usual dire selves.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 08:53 (Ref:2006635)   #25
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to see from Friday's times that the Spykers are now comfortably mixing it with the Toro Rossos (even Yamamoto quicker than Liuzzi over the two sessions). I wonder if this will be the case in qualifying.

I agree with Nicko GP. We should savour this year's title battle for as long as it lasts - it's the closest and most open we've had for years.