Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jun 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1319165)   #26
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
That's the rumour doing the rounds in some magazines, Indy just hasn't caught on like people hoped it would. Personally I think it's more down to F1 than the track though.
The USGP at Indy may not draw the 300,000+ that the Indy 500 draws, but it is still a respectable 120,000 or so, and has been as high as 200,000 the first year there. The place is so big that it really looks empty with "only" 120,000 fans! And Indy is somewhat centrally located, if it went to LB again, most east coasters wouldn't go, like myself!

Put Speed in the Red Bull car this year, and I'll finally be able to wave an American flag at the race, and I'll even put on a Red Bull Racing hat (but the Ferrari shirt stays on!)

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Jun 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1319328)   #27
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo
Maybe speed is an exception, but past american drivers have not really done much! expect in cart or nascar going around in circles..when they have tried F1 they have not exactly shined.
This has always been a question in my mind about the great NASCAR drivers, and would they ever choose F1 over NASCAR. Isnt the money that the big guys (Gordon, Dale Jr., etc) make through all their deals worth more than even what MS gets in F1? I honestly dont know, but I would assume it to be the case, but since I havent lived in Europe in 10 years, I dont know what the commercial side of a driver like MS is. I would have to guess that a driver like Gordon is getting so much in endorsements and sponsorships (plus his team salary) that he would lose money going to F1, or is it just the lack of marketability of an American F1 driver in Europe?

If that is the case, then its been many many years since one of the best drivers from America has ventured to F1 (Mario?), and probably wont change either. Unless that driver just has a desire to win in F1 and doesnt care about the money (or is tired of turning left). Otherwise, any american driver going over isnt going to be our best. But thats just my opinion.

Or am I all wet?
Old 3 Jun 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1319409)   #28
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
curveball,

With the demise of Champ Car, which used to be a good ladder to F1, I think the only way for an American to truly get into F1 is to do what Scott Speed is now doing, live and race where F1 races, namely Europe. I think you need to go over and learn the tracks, meet the player's, the sponsors, and the teams, drive there cars, learn the European system and their way to drive, and basically just live, eat and breath everything about F1. You need to be there in order to impress those people. You can't do that from the States, like Michael Andretti sadly found out.

That said, it's tough to find young Americans that are willing to do all that, because they can stay home and go into NASCAR, and make one hell of a fine living and become a mega-star in the process. There is alot more opportunity in NASCAR than there is in F1, and with alot less risk.

Scott Speed has given up alot to make his dream happen. Let's get behind him, and hope he makes it!

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Jun 2005, 20:11 (Ref:1319442)   #29
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Katayama's head wasn't buffeting - the "nodding" was something he did himself.

He even does it driving a road car.
lol so he was nodding for the sake of it at 200 mph? the problem he had was that the air flow was shaking his head around at high speed, many comentators picked up on this and they even asked him about it in a bbc interview.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1319450)   #30
Nismo
Racer

seems like the european rejects end up in IRL or Cart..dont bash me for saying this but its true, if they cant get an F1 drive or they are booted from F1 they end up in america whey the kick ass!
Old 3 Jun 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1319498)   #31
Nismo
Racer

seems like the european rejects end up in IRL or Cart..dont bash me for saying this but its true, if they cant get an F1 drive or they are booted from F1 they end up in america whey the kick ass!
Old 3 Jun 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1319538)   #32
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Speed is ace and im sure he'll be in F1. He also has quite a bad disease which makes his achievements even more remarkable. He is not called Speed for no reason!
Old 4 Jun 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1319765)   #33
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
?? please clarify last post runshaw?
Old 4 Jun 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1319769)   #34
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems he was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis a while ago.http://www.scottspeed.com/about/diary.html I had no idea. Sounds pretty painful. It's surprising he's still racing.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 08:42 (Ref:1319776)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's had successful treatment to manage it - although it totally destroyed his British F3 season in 2003