Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 4 Feb 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1217517)   #76
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK, here's my edit. linko

Last edited by luke; 4 Feb 2005 at 16:35.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1217518)   #77
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go for it its not as if its silverstones final design.

ooo errrrr thats alrite i personally prefer mine but i see what your trying to do nice 1 mate i like it, .

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 4 Feb 2005 at 16:32.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 07:03 (Ref:1219171)   #78
HRT433
Racer

Australia
Newcastle, NSW
HRT433 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my look at Silverstone.

95% of the original track remains

a few have mention they like the Abbey, Priory etc so I have left them alone.

what i have changed is where the esses were at the top, I've extended the track into the infield makeing use of 1) the additonal track section already present, 2) part of on of the old runways and 3) a new section on the grass near the same runway

description of new section:
approaching where the esses were, you turnright into a multi-apex corner which kinks to the right, you then accelerate toward a tight hairpin which open out onto a straight section, at the end of this there is a 180 degree left-hander which open out into a right-hand sweeper and into another kink before straightening out and then a right hand turn back onto the old circuit.

Old 7 Feb 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1219448)   #79
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good. I think your new hairpin is a bit too tight though. And that chicane is a bit dreadful too. Your new Maggotts is great though!
Old 28 Jun 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1341881)   #80
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done something pretty drastic to Silverstone. I can't decide whether I like it or not. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
silverstone.PNG  
Old 28 Jun 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1342049)   #81
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooh, nice to see this thread again. Never posted in it, though. I might just do that now.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1342147)   #82
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice!
Old 28 Jun 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1342157)   #83
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice 1 mate very nice !
Old 28 Jun 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1342177)   #84
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Here's my go:

Old 28 Jun 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1342186)   #85
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
I haven't been too drastic with my Silverstone design. I really like the track because it has an authentic feel about it as do tracks like San Marino, Montréal, Monza, Spa and, to a lesser extent, Albert Park.

First of all, I tightened Copse. I'd really like to see a bit more overtaking there. There should be enough run-off, with both gravel and tarmac. The entire section through Maggotts, Beckets and Chapel as well as Hangar Straight remain intact. However, you can see that I envisioned a new pits and paddock complex along Hangar.

Stowe is my first major reconstruction. It would be the first corner of the new Grand Prix track and I sort of copied the first few turns of Sakhir. However, the current Stowe corner remains for, say, club races to be used. My second overhaul is Club, where both the entry and the exit are tighter, not unlike the snail at Shanghai.

I re-instated the old Abbey curve, which I like very much. Here, too, I kept the current chicane for any series that my wish to use it.

The other major change at my new Silverstone is the complex. I loosened up Bridge, and it would be even faster than today. It lead up to a new and tighter Piory corner. Both these corners should improve overtaking into the complex.

Brooklands is as it is, but I made some minor changes to Luffield. I changed the corner into two slower ones. Especially the last one is important, because with cars coming onto the main straight slower and, thus, more packed together, slipstreaming through Woodcote and across the main straight, should improve.

Then there's a number of alternative (club) circuits I came up with. Most of it is already there now, but I added a couple of new corners and chicanes.

So, tell me what you think... and feel free to edit.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1342321)   #86
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
And here's an even better version.

Old 28 Jun 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1342322)   #87
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
can i just ask, IN your opinoin why is moving the pits down to the hanger straight better than where it is now ???
But wow that second 1 is very good detail, how long did that take ??
btw good ideas I like the complex you have made.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1342416)   #88
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry but I just hate that Stowe. It is still one of the fastest corners in modern F1 and in no way does it kill overtaking so I cannot see the need to change it. I personally would love to go back to the original Stowe-Club complex, possibly with Club slightly banked. Like the rest of your changes though.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 07:35 (Ref:1342560)   #89
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Thanks, always first. I can imagine that not everybody would be happy with the new (and improved?) Stowe. That's why I decided to keep the current corner intact. Glad you like the rest, though.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1342679)   #90
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
as always your graphics!
Old 29 Jun 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1342772)   #91
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I decided that I wouldn't really miss the becketts/maggotts section as it currently is, and tightening the final part would greatly bunch up the field making passing easier at Stowe, without ruining Stowe itself. All my memories of this combination from a spectator's point of view are of small dots on the horizon moving back and forth. Its not very interesting and looks very little better on TV. Still, I know the drivers like it so basically I moved the whole thing back towards Copse, tightening the first part a little to make up for the fact you arrive slower so the challenge is just as great, and the final part is much tighter and also leads onto a lengthened Hangar straight.

Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1342809)   #92
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Wow, that's quite a good solution, actually. I'm not going to edit my version, though... to much work.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1342872)   #93
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
^ also the cars would have an increased speed of entry to stowe causing heavier braking ... this has ups and downs

up - increased chance of overtaking?

down - saftey aspect, easier to lock-up when travelling faster
Old 29 Jun 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1342885)   #94
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Not really, the straight would be not aslong as say shanghai, and that has a harder braking area than stowe, ive only ever seen MS lock up BADLY into Stowe. i think what P has done would work but would what about the pit exit its near the current maggots.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1342926)   #95
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The pit exit would be virtually unaffected. There's no real need for it to feed out so late.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1343061)   #96
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
Sorry but I just hate that Stowe. It is still one of the fastest corners in modern F1 and in no way does it kill overtaking so I cannot see the need to change it. I personally would love to go back to the original Stowe-Club complex, possibly with Club slightly banked. Like the rest of your changes though.
Of course everyone would like the old Club corner back, if safety weren't an issue. Unfortunately, Club has now been wrecked forever. In wrecking Club, back in 1991, they wrecked Stowe too. Okay, Stowe isn't as bad now as the 1991 version, but it's still a boring derivative corner. If the proper fast version feeding into an even faster Club is gone for ever, the question is really what other sort of Stowe would be good. I've gone with the 1948 version in my edit (post #80 in this thread).

Continuing round the circuit, the current Abbey chicane only really works when following Club. The International Circuit's version with a tight right being followed by the original fast left kink is IMHO a far superior version - I've used this as a method of regaining the original circuit in my edit, allowing the run into Bridge, which has to be one of the most universally popular corners in modern F1.

However, I really dislike the mickey-mouse "complex". Priory on its own would be a fine corner, but Brooklands and Luffield are truly awful. Woodcote's scarcely noticeable any more. This is where I did something really radical in my edit - I made Priory a slow right rather than a slow left. This has two side effects: losing Copse (which is more than made up for by losing Brooklands and Luffield), and of course having to move the pits.

The one section I think they got right in 1991 is Maggotts-Becketts-Chapel. The old Becketts was a great corner, but really had to go. The new version is a great technical section getting slower and slower and slower until finally releasing onto the Hangar straight. I agree with the criticism that this section comes too early in the lap, but seeing as my edit had to move the pits anyway, that was easily sortable. I therefore located the pits after the Stowe hairpin. This, along with preserving a decent approach to Maggotts, really dictated the layout of the remaining sections on my edit.

As I said back in post #80, I'm not sure whether I like the result or not. It would certainly be a fun track to drive, but would it still be Silverstone?
Old 29 Jun 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1343115)   #97
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disregard post.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1343126)   #98
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found this pic over at http://www.racingcircuits.net in the Silverstone thread. It's toward the bottom of the thread. According to the poster (Will T) this is supposed to be like the Hockenheimring before Tilke neutered it. To be honest with you, I don't see any resmblance.
Attached Thumbnails
WTF.png  
Old 29 Jun 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1343129)   #99
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
yes i did post after he put that, But remember although WE might not think it resembles the old hockenhiem, but everybodies design is diffrent, so to him it MIGHT resemble that.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1343149)   #100
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
Go to this post:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...25#post1097325

You can see my version of Silverstone and also (albeit off-topic) a map of a combined Vancouver track.