Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2003, 13:07 (Ref:617727)   #1
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2003 BMW rev limit

James Allen in ITV's coverage of the Monaco GP suggested that BMW are no longer running the 19k Rev limit they had toward the back end of last year.
Given the source I admit that this is as likely complete cr*p as true, but does anyone know anything about it? Given that BMW reliability last year didn't seem to suffer as the rev limit rose, why would they have lowered it now?
Old 2 Jun 2003, 13:13 (Ref:617733)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I heard that. I was curious as to why too. I doubt the new rules can be responsible. The race engine doesn't do that much more running (if any) due to the qualifying rules.

They might have cut back due to reliability concerns, but would they cut back a noticeable amount.

It's a shame really. Allen says something remotely interesting for once and we just assume that it is a lie. It's Cry Wolf! However, I do suspect that he is wrong. Why didn't he go into more detail? He normally goes into mind numbing detail when talking about the obvious.

P.S. Welcome to ten-tenths Gore

Last edited by Adam43; 2 Jun 2003 at 13:13.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 13:36 (Ref:617764)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Engine reliability is dramatically improved all round this year - I guess the small adjustments made to cover only one engine for Saturday and Sunday mean less revs and better reliability.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:02 (Ref:618216)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Williams only ran 19k in qualifying last year didn't they? The engines were useless after that. So with the new rules, they obviously will have cut back - no engine changes remember!
Old 2 Jun 2003, 19:14 (Ref:618233)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought that too knowlesy, so I presume they haven't changed the revs for the race this year?
Old 3 Jun 2003, 06:48 (Ref:618818)   #6
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
19K RPM was done during qualification.
Old 3 Jun 2003, 10:07 (Ref:618962)   #7
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew the 19k limit was introduced for qualifying, but I was under the impression it had subsequently been extended to races--can't remember where I heard this though, so I could well be wrong. If BMW didn't race that spec last year then it makes some sense if it hasn't appeared this season.

On the other hand, qualifying engine specs normally filter through to races within a GP or two, and I can't see this year's new regs affecting the decision that much; unless the sitting around overnight having done qualifying on Saturday has a detrimental affect on engines, they only have to last three laps longer this season than previously.