Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 Apr 2003, 22:14 (Ref:569538)   #26
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just out of curiosity...

Are they building this to race as strictly their own team chassis, or do they want to sell these to privateers???

If it is the latter, they'd be better off biting the bullet on cost and running the two cars...one with the BMW 5 L or a Judd and the other with the Peugeot....

I know it would be radically expensive for an operation that seems "a year behind" as Courage most accurately pointed out, but showing the car's versatility for different engine sizes would maybe help them sell a chassi or two...

Your thoughts????

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Apr 2003, 03:52 (Ref:569738)   #27
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know the team is Italian, but did they build the chassis, or is it an update of something else (like the DBA, which is a Reynard "update")? The Promec looks rather dated to me...
Old 15 Apr 2003, 13:39 (Ref:570117)   #28
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is my understanding that it is an original chassis...however, what better source to ask than the source itself...

in the old FIA link posted above there is an e-mail address for Promec Engineering...

I'm sure that someone would answer that quick question for you

Old 15 Apr 2003, 16:00 (Ref:570224)   #29
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
I can't think of anything else that it obviously resembles that it could be based on, so maybe it is an 'original'

It's been around a little while without being raced- Iit was originally supposed to appear last season, and I've got a vague (and probably unreliable) memory that it had been announced a while before that.

I don't know if there's any significance in the chassis designation 'PJ199' -if so, then it may have taken a few years to get form drawing board to racetrack- maybe a car first designed 3-4 years ago....?
Old 15 Apr 2003, 17:38 (Ref:570301)   #30
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I found some old rumours (Nov. 2000):
Quote:
According to Autosport, Rafanelli could race Lolas next year in both sportscar series, but engineer Giuseppe Angiulli's Promec chassis is also a possibility.
source: Unofficial F3000 Information webpage
Old 15 Apr 2003, 18:25 (Ref:570348)   #31
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why do you think it looks dated? I don't think that it was designed 4 years ago, look at the shape of the nose, and those humps for the front roll hoops, look very Dallara to me. And the slanted cockpit sides, very C60 like.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 18:33 (Ref:570355)   #32
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Because of chassis designation 'PJ199'??????

Probably it's a project with a limited budget which results in a longer development time.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 18:42 (Ref:570368)   #33
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'm sure that as other cars have developed over the past few years and Promec tried learned some things in their CFD or wind tunnel tests that the design underwent some changes...

With limited $$$, 3-4 years of development time is not unreasonable...

Old 15 Apr 2003, 19:54 (Ref:570444)   #34
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
If you start with a project 4 years ago it will not mean that the car is 4 years old. You can improve the car over the years.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 19:55 (Ref:570446)   #35
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, but IMO it looks the business, and i don't see why it won't be a reasonable success.

Also, looking dated has nothing to do with being dated
Old 15 Apr 2003, 19:57 (Ref:570449)   #36
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Exactly what I was saying....

What began 4 years ago and what took the track last weekend are certainly totally different animals....too much has changed in aerodynamics, etc., for it not to have changed...

Old 15 Apr 2003, 19:59 (Ref:570452)   #37
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Let we all be happy there is a new LMP900 car which races in FIASCC.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 20:01 (Ref:570454)   #38
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I hope that it IS successful...especially with the various chassis that have gone away (Crawford), morphed into something else (Gunnar S-99)or did not make it to the racetrack (Snobeck)

There is another thread on that subject, but I'd like to see the Promec do something, and maybe even have some privateers buy them if it runs well...

The more the merrier.....

Old 15 Apr 2003, 20:16 (Ref:570471)   #39
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, not being a follower of the FIASCC, i don't know really how good it was, but when i was looking for some pics on DSC, it looked like it hadn't made too bad an appearence at Estoril (though by the looks of things, that weather could have made it look better than it was...)
Old 16 Apr 2003, 19:29 (Ref:571478)   #40
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Is that Roval in germany a course that could tell us whether or not this chasis has some legs to it???

Well...would any roval really tell us that, but hopefully, you get the gist of my query....

Does it have any sort of straightaway that would show us its speed, plus some corners that would provide some indications of grip, balance, braking, etc...