Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Jul 2003, 00:35 (Ref:655415)   #26
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
I'll repeat the only way the WTCC will return is if it is a multi-class system which caters for the differing cars sold around the world. V8 RWD cars won't work as a whole in the northern hemisphere,
A multi-class system is an interesting suggestion? A V8 and 2L series? But, you gotta make sure the "average fan" can differentiate between the classes.

Quote:
and 2 litre FWD cars have been shown that they don't work in the Southern Hemisphere or America.
But then, the existence/success of the Argentinian TC2000 series which uses 2L engines (albeit with much more wild aero aids) seems to disprove that theory. Furthermore, it seems the cost of ST killed the Sudam ST series, not the lack of popularity!
Old 8 Jul 2003, 00:48 (Ref:655419)   #27
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the popularity of the mazda 2 litre inthe US and speed touring car can allow this to work here as well, might be good... Let's see any US make 2 litres?
no Focus SVT might quali-
Old 8 Jul 2003, 06:08 (Ref:655510)   #28
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
the popularity of the mazda 2 litre inthe US and speed touring car can allow this to work here as well, might be good... Let's see any US make 2 litres? no Focus SVT might quali-
There are tonnes of 2L or close to 2L cars in the US like
the Ford Focus, Dodge/Chrysler Neon, Nissan Sentra/Sunny. And as mentioned, there is Mazda with their 2L Protege/Familia. Ditto for VW with their Jetta/Bora. Meanwhile, the Toyota Corolla can be restroked from 1.8 to 2L. And let's not forget, GM can destroke their new Delta platform cars (basis of '05 Opel Astra) from 2.2L to 2L.

I think 2L is the best global compromise. UNFORTUNATELY, the ONLY way this format can suceed is if carmakers would be willing to devote more time/money/promo AWAY from their existing/strong national series to the new 2L (S2000??) rules!

At present, the existing/national series globally are: Germany has DTM, Australia has V8 Supercars, US has Nascar, Canada has Cascar, Brazil has their own national stock car series, Japan has JGTC series, Argentina has TC2000, NZ has Trans Am series, France/South Africa has their own silhouette series.

But as a manufacturer, would you want to support a new global series (potentially S2000?) that can threaten the existing national series you are strong/successful at????

Last edited by kmchow; 8 Jul 2003 at 06:13.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 08:40 (Ref:656610)   #29
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by speedy king

Sweeden: Rickard Rydel
Dog-darn it - it's Sweden, not Sweeden! I can't for the life of me understand this obsession amongst English-speaking people to spell it wrong all the time (believe me, you are not the first - and probably not the last).

Err, well, with that out of the way, I think the ETCC would need to grow healthier before they venture off into a WTCC project. Right now there aren't enough makes fighting for the wins, IMHO, unlike in the STCC where you have had Audi, Volvo, BMW and Honda (so far) winning races this year, with Alfa Romeo getting close and Opel showing some form. Even the SEAT's are starting to come to life in the STCC.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 09:14 (Ref:656643)   #30
Antrodemus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington, NZ
Antrodemus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
NZ has Trans Am series
Not any more we don't. Damn shame too.
We've got a V8 Touring Car Series along the lines of V8Supercars, but much more production-based and wallet friendly, that has exploded to over 30 cars in 2 years.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 10:52 (Ref:656729)   #31
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdmdog
WTCC, great idea, get all those euro sh!t box manufacturers to produce a V8 Rear Wheel Drive here (Aust) and race them around the world. That would be FANTASTIC
What, you mean if some team turned up with a works BMW M5 RWD V8, it could race? I don't think so. Even if it was built/prepared in Australia.

Unless it's stone age technology, it can't race in the aussie V8 Supercars series. The rules are specifically designed to prevent any real international competition from happening.

As far as the Southern Hemisphere thing goes, in NZ we have followers of both smaller capacity and V8 formulas. New Zealanders tend to buy smaller cars than in Australia for many reasons, such as more twisting roads and not such long distances to travel.

We had a 2.0L touring car series (similar rules to Superproduction) a couple of years ago, but there's always been a following of the v8's and that is the format that's most popular here at the moment. A global 2L class could succeed here - BUT, it would have to affordable.

Last edited by alfasud; 9 Jul 2003 at 10:57.
Old 10 Jul 2003, 01:20 (Ref:657514)   #32
kmchow
Veteran

Any particular reason why the NZTC or 2L series collapsed? I recall BMW withdrawing? Or did BMW's leaving cause a stampede of other Works teams to leave as well?
Old 10 Jul 2003, 14:12 (Ref:657925)   #33
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They had great fields for a while. Toyota pulled out because of an eligibility disagreement with the organisers over their Corona's (Julian Bailey was one of the drivers). Ford had a works team of Telstar's for a while (with Paul Radisich), i recall Nigel Mansell racing one of them in New Zealand in '98 or '99, or was supposed to. BMW supported it for many years through Lyall Williamson's team, but finally withdrew a year or so back.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 23:33 (Ref:659263)   #34
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see the touring cars here in the states. Maybe at Infineon Raceway or at Road Atlanta.
Old 12 Jul 2003, 06:48 (Ref:659375)   #35
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Toyota pulled out because of an eligibility disagreement with the organisers over their Corona's (Julian Bailey was one of the drivers).
Didn't they later switched to the Toyota Altezza/Lexus IS200? Or were those privateers by then?
Old 12 Jul 2003, 07:03 (Ref:659381)   #36
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They did make a late and suprise return to the series in.....must have been either the 2000/01 or 2001/02 Championship in factory Toyota Altezza's as you say, but at the end of the season MANZ (Motorsport Association of New Zealand) took championship status away from the Schedule S class.

Tags
wtcc