Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 May 2016, 23:43 (Ref:3640516)   #226
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
V8 supercars are significantly cheaper to build that a GT3 Car, at almost half the price.

I note with the recent Emery Audi crash, the part are on a plane from germany. might be here by end of thr week
The insurance company will get sick of the cost of repairing those cars, and make the premiums much higher than currently to get their money back..
Old 10 May 2016, 00:43 (Ref:3640522)   #227
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Denyer was on RPM at the weekend quoting the price for a front bumper on his McLaren... no change out of $25,000...
Mr Edwards' Bentley for example got an evolution of sideskirts during its time here.. an eye watering $40,000 later.... plus the need for spares...
Economy of scale...

These are boutique manufacturers making around the same sort of quantities as the V8Supercar field, but without the controls on spending. Right now GT3 seems to be in an arms race - and we know how that ends.
Old 10 May 2016, 03:24 (Ref:3640532)   #228
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
V8 supercars are significantly cheaper to build that a GT3 Car, at almost half the price.

I note with the recent Emery Audi crash, the part are on a plane from germany. might be here by end of thr week
Considering that the last team quote is around 1400 man hours in building a roll cage for a current spec supercar and the cost of an engine you are already sitting around $250,000 to $300,000 safe to say they are not half the price of Scuds Lambo
Old 10 May 2016, 03:30 (Ref:3640536)   #229
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post
Considering that the last team quote is around 1400 man hours in building a roll cage for a current spec supercar and the cost of an engine you are already sitting around $250,000 to $300,000 safe to say they are not half the price of Scuds Lambo
but its about half the price if he wants to upgrade to a Huracan. (369,000 Euro or about $600,000 AUD )which is lambos latest offer

As mixer said, the arms race has began, which History shows was always inevitable
Old 10 May 2016, 03:58 (Ref:3640539)   #230
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
but its about half the price if he wants to upgrade to a Huracan. (369,000 Euro or about $600,000 AUD )which is lambos latest offer

As mixer said, the arms race has began, which History shows was always inevitable
Last time I checked Pecky you need more than an engine and a roll cage to go racing. I would be absolutely gob smacked if they came in under $500k complete

I'm not for a second saying GT3 cars are cheaper to buy. I'm saying to run.
I know it's not good for jobs but teams would require less people if they ran them. There is no development work.

If they swapped to GT3 instead of COTF do you honestly think Nissan or Betty would have spent anywhere near what they have? I'm sure they would of got a lot more race wins too.

Are GT3 the solution? No I don't think so, The point I'm trying to make is about the platform. GT3 style regs on sedan platform without quite so much aero would be a good starting point in my opinion. They need to adopt some form of global class of racing.
Old 10 May 2016, 04:09 (Ref:3640541)   #231
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Last time I checked Pecky you need more than an engine and a roll cage to go racing. I would be absolutely gob smacked if they came in under $500k complete

I'm not for a second saying GT3 cars are cheaper to buy. I'm saying to run.
I know it's not good for jobs but teams would require less people if they ran them. There is no development work.

If they swapped to GT3 instead of COTF do you honestly think Nissan or Betty would have spent anywhere near what they have? I'm sure they would of got a lot more race wins too.

Are GT3 the solution? No I don't think so, The point I'm trying to make is about the platform. GT3 style regs on sedan platform without quite so much aero would be a good starting point in my opinion. They need to adopt some form of global class of racing.
888 apparently sold their VF package at the beginning of CotF for $380k + GST..
Old 10 May 2016, 06:52 (Ref:3640558)   #232
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Is there a global GT3 style sedan platform other than GT3? Or could they just limit it to a subset of GT3 cars such as the Camaro, Mustang and GTR and then use BoP to achieve parity.

Otherwise if you have to invent something we are back at COTF (3).
Old 10 May 2016, 06:54 (Ref:3640559)   #233
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
888 apparently sold their VF package at the beginning of CotF for $380k + GST..
Complete or Roller ?
Old 10 May 2016, 07:00 (Ref:3640562)   #234
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roller. Engines are leased from KRE.
Old 10 May 2016, 08:28 (Ref:3640578)   #235
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Speaking of Scud I'd love to hear his input as of all us, he's certainly the one most qualified on here to talk about the costs of running a GT3 car....

The arms race in GT3 has not just started this year-it's been going for the last couple of years now and yeah it's gonna end with a bang. But until then enjoy the ride

Not convinced GT3 is the answer and I'm a massive fan of the category. Touring cars should be based on what one would find in your average car park not Ferraris or Mclarens.
Old 10 May 2016, 08:41 (Ref:3640581)   #236
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Not convinced GT3 is the answer and I'm a massive fan of the category. Touring cars should be based on what one would find in your average car park not Ferraris or Mclarens.
I get what you are saying, and I agree, but.... in checking out my local car park, that means Hilux and Rangers and Big SUV's with an occasional vanilla corolla or Mazda 3

The car park no longer inspires
Old 10 May 2016, 10:41 (Ref:3640590)   #237
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As much as it pains me to say, I agree with you Pecky on the vehicles we may see as the touring car equivilants these days.

V8 4-door sedans are no longer the go-to car for the family household. Haven't been for a long time now. Ford and Holden saw it, and are ditching them for obvious reasons.

Big heavy FWD cars, with asthmatic engines aren't going to cut the mustard for race cars.
Old 10 May 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3640624)   #238
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Is there a global GT3 style sedan platform other than GT3? Or could they just limit it to a subset of GT3 cars such as the Camaro, Mustang and GTR and then use BoP to achieve parity.

Otherwise if you have to invent something we are back at COTF (3).
Well, you can build a GT3-like car out of a sedan:

If you can do it with an Accord, you can also do it with an Insignia or Mondeo. I doubt many teams outside Australia would be interested, so economy of scale would have little effect, but you could bring in some of the other more Tourer-style GT3s like the BMW or GTR.
Old 10 May 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3640625)   #239
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The Realtime TLX isn't a GT3 car. It's built to PWC GT rules.
Old 10 May 2016, 14:28 (Ref:3640631)   #240
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The Realtime TLX isn't a GT3 car. It's built to PWC GT rules.
That's why I said GT3-like. It's just an example to show that you could build a Mondeo or Insignia that reaches a similar performance envelope and homologate it nationally for an Australian series. (And all that without resorting to a full-silhouette car).

Ratel would never allow for anything with four doors to get proper GT3-homologation.
Old 10 May 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3640687)   #241
M Jones
Rookie

M Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the cars in the btcc are pretty exciting, but the engine sounds are not so much. Maybe a faster version would be good
Old 10 May 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3640698)   #242
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Jones View Post
I think the cars in the btcc are pretty exciting, but the engine sounds are not so much. Maybe a faster version would be good
Make them RWD while you're at it.

Those turbo 4's they and the 1.6's in the WTCC cars sound dreadful.
Old 10 May 2016, 23:09 (Ref:3640734)   #243
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Make them RWD while you're at it.
They are.
BTCC cars can be either front and rear drive depending on the base model. (BMWs etc)
Old 11 May 2016, 00:56 (Ref:3640740)   #244
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
They are.
BTCC cars can be either front and rear drive depending on the base model. (BMWs etc)
You act like I don't know this.

I'm saying make them all RWD, even if the base car is not.
Old 11 May 2016, 02:17 (Ref:3640754)   #245
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volvo (or one of their arms) will still be racing here next year, just not with GRM.
Old 11 May 2016, 02:20 (Ref:3640755)   #246
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So what Geely-BJR or London Taxi Company-LDM?

Comical.
Old 11 May 2016, 02:24 (Ref:3640756)   #247
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
So what Geely-BJR or London Taxi Company-LDM?

Comical.
No, as in the blue cars from Sweden. And not with a mid-pack team either.
Old 11 May 2016, 02:30 (Ref:3640757)   #248
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
Currently running 15th and 16th, Penske ARE midpack...
Old 11 May 2016, 02:35 (Ref:3640760)   #249
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Volvo (or one of their arms) will still be racing here next year, just not with GRM.
WP?
Old 11 May 2016, 03:04 (Ref:3640764)   #250
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Is this from the "powder room"

I guess we can't blame AA for this "exclusive"