Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jun 2003, 21:30 (Ref:646511)   #51
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Apart from Ross Brawn of course , i wonder if he looks at the site?
Old 29 Jun 2003, 21:32 (Ref:646517)   #52
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great win by Ralf. Shame Kimi went out, I'd have liked to know how that would have panned out.

Top win by Ralf. Fantastic pass for second by Montoya to get a great result for Williams.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 00:44 (Ref:646648)   #53
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RS simply outdrove JPM all weekend.

He BEAT JPM in qualifying and he BEAT him in the race. Now JPM fans go can looking for all the excuses in the world (hell, I want to do it too) but the simple face is Ralf was in the right position - in front. There's no 'ifs' and 'buts' because they are meaningless.

What Ralf has really impressed me with in the past weeks is his qualifying though. Two poles and to put his car 3rd on Saturday with a heavy car is very good indeed. I think all that negative press is actually helping him.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 02:08 (Ref:646702)   #54
CVT
Rookie

CVT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf drove pretty well, i don't know why some guys think JPM did better on sunday. i watched the race and JPM was mediocre apart from the pass on a slow Schumacher. even he said M$ was slow on the corners. never in the race did Montoya went faster that Ralf and M$ apart from whatever problem the Ferrari had. and Kimi wasn't that dominant, sure he built a 9 second lead but it was cut in half after his stop. and as the McLaren got heavier Kimi wasn't able to pull away like he did during his first stint. and Ralf was taking around .100+ off the McLaren's lead during that time. i don't get it why Ralf doesn't get more props after his win, i mean he qualified on heavier tanks and was .096 off pole. kinda like what Montoya did in Monaco and everyone was like, "Montoya was very close to Ralf even though he has more fuel!!! OMG JPM is the r0x0rs!!!77, Ralf is the 5ux0rz!!!"
Old 30 Jun 2003, 02:13 (Ref:646704)   #55
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That was a clinical, mistake free, perfect race from Ralf..... very Schumacherish!

What a great race!

Mainly because Williams are contenders & now look like they have the best car.

Can't wait to see JPM start taking team orders & support the team's no.1 driver!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 02:14 (Ref:646705)   #56
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That was a joke by the way
Old 30 Jun 2003, 04:54 (Ref:646751)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For the record, there is never any "spite" in my posts.

No matter what people see I have only ever expressed the opinion that both Williams drivers are equally good. But it seems to many that only one of them can race even when he throws it away!

I was responding to just such a post so if it is deemed spiteful then so be it.

Ralf was under pressure for some time during the race then when his tyres came back and carrying more fuel he was able to take advantage of Kimi's misfortune.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 22:43 (Ref:647844)   #58
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter, absolutely, a balanced view. Both great drivers but Ralf has had a lot of criticsm which despite his recent form has not completely gone away. Ralf was excellent all weekend. Disappointing that Martin Brundle, who's opinion I normally respect gave 'driver of the day' to Montoya for that 'Great' overtake of MS. Am I the only one to think that Michael was really struggling with the Ferrari, at the
time and that JPM was going at least 2 seconds a lap faster. No, Martin, Ralf was driver of the day; it was a near faultless drive.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 1 Jul 2003, 07:32 (Ref:648042)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The driver of the thing is over rated and it's hardly the be all who is awarded it. James forces Martin to chose (normally at an inappropriate time when something more interesting is happening). Martin chose something that made the Grand Prix not only based on a good effort. Round the outside in a hairpin is not exactly the easiest thing to do - in any motorsport let alone F1. It got some praise and it is not as if Martin said Ralf was pants, he gave deserved praise to that too, but he chose one at the end and IMO it was more for the thing that made the race exciting.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 07:43 (Ref:648047)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No doubt that it was a good move. If he did what he said and watched Rubens to check the amount of grip then even if MS was struggling it was evidence that he's starting to think. It also showed that he would not have been able to pass if the Ferrari was on top form. But that was tyres.

But yes it did nothing to overshadow Ralf's performance.

I wonder if the psychology used by Sir Frank and Patrick does work? Perhaps they should be given more credit in this respect. They've suggested that Montoya may not be suited to F1 and he goes out and leads in Austria before his engine unfortunately blew.

Ralf puts a good run in at Canada but is accussed of an inability to overtake! Then he drives a near perfect race in Germany and wins.

Both events came after a few public words from Frank and Patrick. Hmm.

And equally good? Without a doubt. Last year we got bored to death (at least I did) by the "qualifying supremecy" shown by JPM. Then he went out and threw a few away. This year we hear very little about Ralf's qualifying capabilities but he's done a good job since race three(?) and he also threw away a win at Monaco. Equal capabilities again?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 10:52 (Ref:648184)   #61
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
Whaaaaaat?! If it was just about raceday, they'd just throw the names in a hat for qualifying and then let them start wherever, wouldn't they? It's about the entire weekend, over which Ralf was better. Deal with it.

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!! He wasn't lucky, he was just good in qualifying! Had Montoya been faster, HE would have been on the clean side of the track. But he wasn't, and Ralf was. End of.

P.S. Like this Ralf quote: "I have taken a bit of criticism recently but this proved that a bad driver can win races".
My point regarding Montoya being better on raceday was just that. Montoya, rightly disappointed with his qualifying lap, recomposed himself overnight and put in a gret drive on Sunday.

Dirty and clean side of the track isn't purely down to where you qualify in reltion to your team-mate. Micahel qaulified ahead of Rubens by a bigger margin, but he was on the dirty side, and Rubens the clean. If Montoya had also been slower than Rubens, he'd've been on the clean side, and probably passed him straight away instead of losing that position.

I'll repeat - Ralf was driver of the WEEKEND. However, Montoya put the thrill into the race, and put in a more impressive raceday drive. Disagree if you like, but prve me wrong.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 11:09 (Ref:648205)   #62
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
monTOYa was pretty much non-existent til he made that somewhat spectecular pass. Ralf still did better since he won the race and got the 10 points that go with it. 10 > 8, now try and prove me wrong.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:17 (Ref:648398)   #63
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
nice rose coloured glass's Boots
Ralf WAS the better driver on the day without doubt just admit it . Ralf was faster cleaner and a winner all with a heavier car . The fact you commend a bit of dumb driving by jpm as a good thing only reinforce's my view that you can not admit /give credit where its due and if that is the play of a jpm fan well I don't know what is sader .
I would have said AS A NON jpm fan he drove a solid race until that dumbest of dumb passing moves where he could have taken himself out clearely easier than you think = 0 points for jpm ( Then what would FW say) . When clearly MS had tyre problems and a SLOWER CAR and jpm could have taken MS in a less threating place so HE would not have been taken out . But then again that would require a brain and be able to think something jpm can NOT do
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:20 (Ref:648401)   #64
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber 11:52
nice rose coloured glass's Boots
Ralf WAS the better driver on the day without doubt just admit it .
Quote:
Originally posted by Boots 14:17
I'll repeat - Ralf was driver of the WEEKEND.

Last edited by Adam43; 1 Jul 2003 at 13:21.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:24 (Ref:648408)   #65
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
My point regarding Montoya being better on raceday was just that.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:26 (Ref:648411)   #66
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
When clearly MS had tyre problems and a SLOWER CAR and jpm could have taken MS in a less threating place so HE would not have been taken out
But in F1 it isn't just a matter of overtaking when you chose even if the guy ahead is slower (e.g Alonso/DC in the same race). If you are going to do it you have to take the opportunities that comes along.

As for what Frank would have thought. If he thought it was slightly on then he would have applauded Montoya for trying (see his comments about Ralf not trying - whether you think he should have or not).

I agree with Boots. Ralf drove well and deserved the win (shame we didn't see how it would have panned out with Kimi). Montoya also deserved second and put on the move that made the race a good one spectate.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:30 (Ref:648414)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Boots says he was better over the weekend and you say on race day. Crickey I can see why there is such a problem. Sorry.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:33 (Ref:648417)   #68
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

As for what Frank would have thought. If he thought it was slightly on then he would have applauded Montoya for trying (see his comments about Ralf not trying - whether you think he should have or not).
R U on drugs ? the Biggest point for Williams was after the race they r now 2nd in the WMC if jpm had gone off which was possible unless you think Martin B doesn't know what he is talking about . Williams no sorry jpm would have thrown away vauable points I'M sure FW would have applauded him
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrright
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:37 (Ref:648419)   #69
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
sorry if I have overheated for the record as I have said many time Both drivers are equal in talent . But it just getts me after the guy wins a race the other fans still cannot just say good job drive of the day/weekend with a BUT
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:39 (Ref:648421)   #70
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Frank respects a racer and accepts things might go wrong.

Me too and I can't wait to see MS and JPM wheel to wheel again. I love it.

And no I am not on drugs, but thanks for your concern. Before this gets out of hand for all of us involved in this thread, remember it is the post not the poster.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:47 (Ref:648435)   #71
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
cool

IMO fw respects a driver to earn his team the most points for the least amount of cash
Old 1 Jul 2003, 13:48 (Ref:648436)   #72
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think there is an element of truth in both sides of the story. But Frank does love a racer. He loved Alan Jones because he took the team from obscurity into the Cahmpion's circle. He was aggressive but he could also think. He rarely threw the car off the road to make a passing move and he rarely overdrove. I'm afraid that JPM does both those things.

However the point may be that JPM was successful on sunday and it looked good. Had he failed I think we'd have seen similar looks on Patrick's face as last year (at Hungary?) when JPM had damaged his car, complained about the handling and wanted to retire.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:02 (Ref:648442)   #73
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I can't wait to see MS and JPM wheel to wheel again. I love it.
i]
I'm sure we all feel the same.

By the way corkholio, I don't need any maths lessons, I have completed 2 years of an economics degree. If you read my other threads you'llr ealise what I mean about Juan being better on Sunday but Ralf better throughout the weekend overall.

Mark, I'm sorry that you find aggressive, brave, thrilling racing 'dumb'. I'm usre ther are some great birdwatching forums on the internet, perhaps you'd prefer that. By making the move at that spot, he's signififcantly ruffled Mcihael's feathers, making it easier for Kimi to threaten him / Alonos to threaten him / Montoya to threaten him / Ralf to help Williams with some rear wing research by getting a good view of Ferrari's.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:05 (Ref:648444)   #74
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
IMO fw respects a driver to earn his team the most points for the least amount of cash
Yes, I reckon that is probably FW no.1 priority too!! Money is best spent on the car!
Old 1 Jul 2003, 14:11 (Ref:648450)   #75
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Ralf to help Williams with some rear wing research by getting a good view of Ferrari's.
well I guess thats helping him beat his teammate

equal not better on both sides