Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Nov 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1461089)   #1
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bring back Procar

With little in the way of proper racing going on out on the track, and gross inequality in terms of the cars themselves, maybe its time we should bring back the concept of Procar ? For those who don't remember, in the late 1970s and early 1980s, GP drivers would step into equal BMW M1s and take to the track before the GP for a race. It was often very spectacular. Bernie thought of bringing it back in the late 1980s and I remember seeing a stillborn Alfa 164 silhouette, but nothing came of it.

So how about a manufacturer gets something decent, pokey and rwd like the mid-engined Renault Megane for example. Builds 30 or so of them [yep, let's put the third drivers in there as well]... and we set them up to be raced over about 20 minutes on Sunday morning of a GP weekend. It beats seeing 22 bored premadonnas chatting to one another on the back of a tractor-trailer doesn't it and would certainly give a good assessment of the up-and-coming against the incumbent.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 08:40 (Ref:1461100)   #2
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are BMW, Mercedes, Toyota and Honda going to want their drivers driving a Renault?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1461103)   #3
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nah bring it back, sounds great. stuff the politics
Old 15 Nov 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1461105)   #4
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to see it but sadly will never ever happen with the current teams and those running the sport today.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1461131)   #5
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If Bernie tells them to do it, they will. In terms of the cross-brand driving, I don't think it would be a problem either. There's brand dictation with all the course cars already, you don't see BMW, Honda or Renault whinging that the safety car's not one of theirs. Again, its all a Bernie thing.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 09:19 (Ref:1461140)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Put them all in Porsche GT3s and let them go for a 10 lap sprint race after qualifyings on Saturday. For fun. No pressure, no points, no politics.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 09:21 (Ref:1461144)   #7
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
As much as I'd like to see the drivers in equal cars, I just think politics won't allow it. I don't think the safety car is an issue because their drivers don't drive the car.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1461148)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
and gross inequality in terms of the cars themselves,
lol, same as same as (actually less so!). Sounds like you want to watch great drivers in equal roof based machinery. Try WTCC and FIA GT. It is there already!

Firstly I would like to say that we are well catered for nowadays - more than at most points in the past. We have the RoC nowadays and numerous karting events and now for the oldies we have GP Masters.

However the Procar series looked good (although a tad before my time), although there were contractual issues back then - especially with tyre manufacturers IIRC. However Bernie had more control then and could get things done.

Yes it would be good, but I wouldn't want it to get in the way of the real race that weekend.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 09:31 (Ref:1461159)   #9
davyboy
Veteran

Porsche GT3s sounds sensible alright. If the F1 drivers were compelled to race these cars [like they're compelled to sit in the press conference], I'm sure most fans would welcome the competition. We all see Kimi, Schuey and Alonso as pretty hot... but what if somebody like Davidson emerged as someone who could whip their asses week in week out in Procar. It may be just that the team managers would start to take notice and the balance may begin to mix around a little.

I don't think it would get in the way of the main event... nothing will do that... but it would certainly spice up the weekend don't you think ?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1461169)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apropos of nothing, a Formula One test driver called Mika Hakkinen entered the Porsche Supercup race at the 1993 Monaco Grand Prix and scored a dominant win.

Whatever happened to him?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1461244)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This has been mooted already for the 'Masters' but after Sunday's show, i bet you those guys would rather race powerful single seaters than a mofified sportscar.

I know the M1's were quite spectacular but speeds have moved on, so the equipment needs to as well...
Old 15 Nov 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1461275)   #12
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think its a great idea, the type of machinery doesn't matter so much as the fact that they are equal, ie 30 MINI Cooper S's or 30 Ferrari 360 Challenge, results should be the same.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1461278)   #13
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
A Mini would be interesting, and although it is a BMW brand, it's not really BMW.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1461288)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
A Mini?!!!

Surely it'll need to be something with a decent amount of poke!!

If it's gonna be production based cars then exotica is the way to go like the Veyron!!

Or perhaps a little less ostentatious something like the AMG SLK, or Beeem M6...

Old 15 Nov 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1461401)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

In an ideal situation 360 Stradales or GT3 RS would be the optimal. Quick, equal with some prestige thrown in to boot. The reason I suggested the mid-engined Megane type of thing [or even Merc DTM machines] is if a manufacturer backing was required.

I think it would attract a pretty decent audience.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1461406)   #16
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I do not agree with a Procar. In that case we could eliminate the teams and cars are bought by FIA, and putting thier own drivers inside them. Not to my liking. I prefer to have different teams designing different cars.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1461584)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the idea would just be as an "extra" for the fans/spectators. Something that drivers love to do (racing) without the parts they don't (worry about points, retirements, etc). Besides costing F1 money, i don't think anybody would turn down the chance of seeing these guys fighting a race in equal stuff.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1461681)   #18
TEAM78
Racer

United Kingdom
TEAM78 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I hope Bernie is taking note here as it seems to be a popular move!
Old 15 Nov 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1461700)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well as he sorted out the original deal for Procar he knows the advantages.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1461714)   #20
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltafan
I do not agree with a Procar. In that case we could eliminate the teams and cars are bought by FIA, and putting thier own drivers inside them. Not to my liking. I prefer to have different teams designing different cars.
Ya, the idea is definitely not to replace F1 at all. Rather to add another race to the GP weekend, but this time with the stars in equal cars.

One other thing at the moment is that Sunday morning really is down-time as there's no warm-up and no real action [often of any kind] on the track. This would definitely plug that gap.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1461812)   #21
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Actually, in retrospect, the front running drivers probably wouldn't want to do this. They have nothing to gain, and lots to lose in Procar. Eg, how would it look if MS was beaten by Monteiro?
Old 15 Nov 2005, 23:53 (Ref:1461834)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
He didn't seem to mind excessively about being beaten by Kovalainen at the Race of Champions last year.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 00:13 (Ref:1461846)   #23
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan
He didn't seem to mind excessively about being beaten by Kovalainen at the Race of Champions last year.
but what if he was beaten every weekend,would he mind then.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 00:26 (Ref:1461854)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaya
but what if he was beaten every weekend,would he mind then.
You're right. It would matter. Also, it would serve to redress the balance in terms of driver capabilities versus seats. If people like Davidson for example were proving formidable in this arena, teams [and their backers] would sit up, take notice and likely get them into a race seat faster.

Adam, can we get a poll going on this so that we can attempt to wake Bernie up ?
Old 16 Nov 2005, 01:54 (Ref:1461889)   #25
Stargazer7
Racer

Greece
Athens
Stargazer7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM78
Nah bring it back, sounds great. stuff the politics
Just give them a fair money prize and those hungry-for-money *******s will drive like crazy to win it.....