Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2007, 20:28 (Ref:2010473)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2007 Belgian Grand Prix.

I suppose, this weekend, there will be rather more being talked about than a simple Grand Prix.

Tomorrow the Ferrari/McLaren shambles takes its latest and, perhaps, most decisive twist. If worst comes to worst the Belgian GP could be short of a top team and rendered rather hollow in the process.

Still, at least the circuit is a classic in every sense of the word. Spa-Francorchamps, many a drivers favourite, is back after another short exile and it has brought a new pit complex and some slightly hideous alterations to the surrounding corners along for the ride. Nothing too bad though - it's not as if they fiddled around with Pouhon or anything.

It may just be possible to enjoy this GP then. If you can peer through the politics, scandal and pretentiousness.

Do try to have a good one...

Current drivers championship standings
Pos.DriverTeamPointsWins
1.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes923
2.Fernando AlonsoMcLaren-Mercedes894
3.Kimi RaikkonenFerrari743
4.Felipe MassaFerrari693
5.Nick HeidfeldBMW-Sauber520
6.Robert KubicaBMW-Sauber330
7.Heikki KovaleinenRenault210
8.Giancarlo FisichellaRenault170
9.Alexander WurzWilliams-Toyota130
10.Nico RosbergWilliams-Toyota120
11.Mark WebberRed Bull-Renault80
11=David CoulthardRed Bull Renault80
13.Jarno TrulliToyota70
14.Ralf SchumacherToyota50
15.Takuma SatoSuper Aguri-Honda40
16.Jenson ButtonHonda20
17.Sebastien VettelBMW-Sauber10

Current constructors championship standings
Pos.ConstructorPointsWins
1.McLaren-Mercedes(166*)7
2.Ferrari1436
3.BMW-Sauber860
4.Renault380
5.Williams-Toyota250
6.Red Bull-Renault160
7.Toyota120
8.Super Aguri-Honda40
9.Honda20
10Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari00
10=Spyker-Ferrari00
*McLaren's scores excluded

Belgian GP: recent history

2005 top eight finishers
Pos.DriverTeamTime/gapGrid pos.
1.Kimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes1h30m1.2952nd
2.Fernando AlonsoRenault+28.3945th
3.Jenson ButtonBAR-Honda+32.0779th
4.Mark WebberWilliams-BMW+1m9.16710th
5.Rubens BarrichelloFerrari+1m18.13613th
6.Jacques VilleneuveSauber-Petronas+1m27.43514th
7.Ralf SchumacherToyota+1m27.5746th
8.Tiago MonteiroJordan-Toyota+1 lap19th

DriverTeamLaptime
2005 fastest lapRalf SchumacherToyota1m51.453
2005 pole positionJuan Pablo MontoyaMcLaren-Mercedes1m46.391
Lap recordKimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes1m45.108 (set in 2004)

Other previous winners
YearDriverTeam
2004Kimi RaikkonenMcLaren-Mercedes
2002Michael SchumacherFerrari
2001Michael SchumacherFerrari
2000Mika HakkinenMcLaren-Mercedes
1999David CoulthardMcLaren-Mercedes
1998Damon HillJordan Mugen-Honda
1997Michael SchumacherFerrari
1996Michael SchumacherFerrari

Circuit and race weekend information
Circuit map and timetable
Live timing
Event artwork
Official site

Desert the forum and go to the chat room.

See how useless your crystal ball is in the predictions competition.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 14 Sep 2007 at 11:09.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 20:38 (Ref:2010479)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
McLaren have undoubtedly improved their car in the last few weeks, but this circuit is said to favour the Ferrari's.

I think it will be a close battle, with Ferrari closer if not ahead of McLaren.

I hope we see a good battle between these two titans, that is of course, assuming McLaren will be allowed to take part in the Belgium GP...
Old 12 Sep 2007, 21:40 (Ref:2010551)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
McLaren have undoubtedly improved their car in the last few weeks, but this circuit is said to favour the Ferrari's.

Monza was said to suit the Ferrari too
Old 12 Sep 2007, 21:42 (Ref:2010552)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Monza was never going to suit Ferrari, it had kerbs!

The Ferrari should be far better round Spa. Fast sweepers are where it works best but there are corners that suit the Mac too. Both teams have run well there usually.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 21:51 (Ref:2010565)   #5
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quite a sombre, but great intro knowlesy...pretty much the sentiment I'm feeling at the moment about the next few days.

What a dire period of Formula One.

oh and yes, Ferrari will be back on form I imagine..in fact I have them down as taking the win. They'll have a tougher time though than initial tests suggested, with recent developments at McLaren.

Lewis is the unknown quantity here...a spanner in the works again methinks.

Last edited by pottiella; 12 Sep 2007 at 21:56.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 21:56 (Ref:2010572)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Monza was never going to suit Ferrari, it had kerbs!
Well, i agree to a certain extent. But Monza isn't tight and twisty, which doesn't favour the Ferrari's at all (this season at least). That said, historically, the McLaren has always "rode the kerbs" better than the Ferrari's, but it didn't stop Michael winning there last season.

But back to Spa .............
Old 12 Sep 2007, 22:00 (Ref:2010579)   #7
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm looking for Kubica to be mixing it up with the leaders.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 23:19 (Ref:2010645)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bulldog
I'm looking for Kubica to be mixing it up with the leaders.
No,I'm afraid that it'll be business as usual.......well almost.BMW could make it to second in the constructors championship depending on what happens today.

Weather not looking too good (meaning that it's probably not going to rain).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=4935
Old 12 Sep 2007, 23:24 (Ref:2010647)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think it is worth trying to predict the weather at Spa so far in advance.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 01:02 (Ref:2010709)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Good one Knowlesy! I am not going to let anything spoil my enjoyment of the amazing Spa-Francorchamps circuit..Sure to be a close fight between Ferrari and McLaren...look out for BMW, they will go well here..
Old 13 Sep 2007, 01:14 (Ref:2010719)   #11
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think that Kimi could upset the Mac attack this weekend.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 13 Sep 2007, 06:29 (Ref:2010806)   #12
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Look at the 2005 result... 8th from 19th on the grid.... That would be unusual in 2007! It shows how much has changed in 2 years.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 09:51 (Ref:2010959)   #13
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I am not going to let anything spoil my enjoyment of the amazing Spa-Francorchamps circuit..
Agreed - once they're on the track it really doesn't matter what's happening off it, I'm just going to enjoy the spectacle. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for rain, that always catches a few people out and throws up the possibility of a winner outside the championship leaders - I want to see somebody outside the top 4 win a race this season!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 13 Sep 2007, 09:52 (Ref:2010960)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
Look at the 2005 result... 8th from 19th on the grid.... That would be unusual in 2007! It shows how much has changed in 2 years.
That 8th placed finish mostly thanks to Pizzonia drop kicking Montoya out of a sure fire 2nd!!

This year I think Ferrari will win, and they'd better hope it's Raikkonen! Anything with a good engine ought to shine as well. That run from La Source up through Eau Rouge and on up the hill needs some serious torque.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 10:08 (Ref:2010975)   #15
KBM
Rookie

KBM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In his preview, Windsor implies that Hamilton's style suits Spa better than Alonso's, over a race distance. This will be a good test of his theories on driving styles.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 11:16 (Ref:2011034)   #16
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually agree...that's what I've thought all along...even though there is no reference point for us to make a judgement on Lewis in F1 at Spa, I still think it's advantage Lewis this weekend over Alonso.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 11:43 (Ref:2011062)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not all that keen on the changes to the track, and I really don't understand why there is now a massive car park run off at the exit of La Source.

I also hope they have done something to stop cars skipping over the kerbs, cutting the track.
When the FIA GT's were there, most of the cars were missing the final part of Eau Rouge and cutting over the tarmac run off at Radillion. The same went for the "new" Bus Stop exit kerb, there was just tarmac to the right of it, and people were just running out metres wider than they should have been.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 13:26 (Ref:2011169)   #18
Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My desire is to see a fifth driver to win a race before the end of the season. Spa can be very unpredicatble. Look forward a heavy rain race where an outsider emerges on top. Kovalainen or Wurz would be nice.

I know...I know...daydreaming
Old 13 Sep 2007, 17:08 (Ref:2011425)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wurz already has far more points than he deserves this year. Nico would be a much more deserving race winner, as would Kovalainen or one of the BMW guys.

If McLaren are ruled out, the whole hting could be quite dull and soured.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2011696)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I also think it will be nice just to see Alonso win one of his last races as a McLaren driver....
Old 13 Sep 2007, 19:26 (Ref:2011716)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Posted by BootsOntheSide

Wurz already has far more points than he deserves this year.
Maybe he is better than we give him credit for and he deserves MORE points than he has scored so far this year...
Old 13 Sep 2007, 21:17 (Ref:2011935)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK

Is there still a Grand Prix this weekend?
Old 13 Sep 2007, 22:17 (Ref:2012016)   #23
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trying to focus on the actual real business of racing, Spa should be interesting.

With it not being held last year, I'm not sure how the Super Aguri will do around here but I'm looking to see Ant continue his good run.

Fisi is under pressure to save his career (if at all possible now), so perhaps he'll bang in one of his famous super-duper qualifying laps we haven't seen for a while..

And it'll be interesting to see if the new Spyker chassis is any better this time out.

What's the use. I can't get excited about this weekend in all honesty.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 22:27 (Ref:2012022)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I am going to have to use SpeedTV as my main feed this weekend. They like to stick the boot into Ferrari at the best of times, so they will doubtless have much fun this weekend.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 00:46 (Ref:2012131)   #25
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I also think it will be nice just to see Alonso win one of his last races as a McLaren driver....

Chuntz... do you wanna bet ?