Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Dec 2007, 21:12 (Ref:2080930)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Gauges . . . or instrumentation if you will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead
Oh, and can we have a thread on guages too?
not green please, they taste horrid

Black, White and preferably smiths, never let me down, in fact they've constantly reminded me I had killed my engine, or at least tried on more than one occaision.

I have, in a daft kind of homage, a collection of late 60's Yazaki gauges which has grown from some of my Late fathers old car bits

My favourite is a Cooper Wallace Oil pressure gauge, I know nothing of them, but it works well and looks fantastic, sort of Art Deco meets 60's Kings Road granny takes a trip . . . Brendan will understand
Old 3 Dec 2007, 22:15 (Ref:2080977)   #2
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Zef

Horrified to see quite a number of historic race cars running Stack digital systems and even data aquisition!

My guages are I believe true to period (stewart Warner) though just a year old.

Personal hate - Boy racer white...uuuurgghh
Old 3 Dec 2007, 22:23 (Ref:2080984)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stack smart rev counters have been in use on historics for years.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 22:50 (Ref:2080997)   #4
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Does anybody still run those wonderful 50's/60's chronometric revcounters that 'jumped' round the dial?
Old 3 Dec 2007, 22:52 (Ref:2080999)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Rev counter / oil pressure / water temp all black what more do you need.
johngee, I have got still got my old cable driven rev counter but I keep breaking the drive!!
Oh and a 20 psi oil lamp coz at my age I cant see them anyway

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 3 Dec 2007 at 22:54.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Dec 2007, 00:02 (Ref:2081038)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Does anybody still run those wonderful 50's/60's chronometric revcounters that 'jumped' round the dial?
I used to,the very reason its been replaced [Period looking,but doe'snt bugger around.]
Old 4 Dec 2007, 10:30 (Ref:2081275)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I agree Gordon, although I did add an oil temp gauge a year or so back, just in case like. the only one I really keep an eye out for is the Lucus indicator lamp attached to the 20 psi Oil pressure switch.

and specifically at Goodwood the water temp, purely as an indication as to whether there was actually any water left in the engine !
Old 4 Dec 2007, 10:40 (Ref:2081282)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Smiths Chronometric rev counters are still about, but expensive!

the Stack stuff and others, Elliot etc, are all available in classic styles, so there really is no excuse for neon backlit white ! although didn't some older Jaeger gauge come in cream/Ivory ?
Old 4 Dec 2007, 10:46 (Ref:2081288)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Inthe earlier MGs they were the only one's to have.I dont think they had the neon though
My Rev counter is the Phone Home one,a massive improvement in letting you know what the engine is pulling,although it only reads up to 10thousand,over that and its guess-work.

Last edited by terence; 4 Dec 2007 at 10:49.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 11:34 (Ref:2081308)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
with your set up I wouldn't have thought your on cam until 9k Terry
Old 4 Dec 2007, 12:10 (Ref:2081330)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
with your set up I wouldn't have thought your on cam until 9k Terry
Thats why I said "anything over 10 is guess-work",at least the way it is set up gives a rev band of 3.5rpm. Ultra short stroke crank,the only problem was redrilling the block face after "Planing" half an inch off.

Last edited by terence; 4 Dec 2007 at 12:12.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 13:16 (Ref:2081385)   #12
Brendan Roberts
Rookie

Brendan Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about neon backlit, but guages that are lit are useful - Spa in the dark in someone elses car having been told to watch the water temp (85 max) and rev only to 7500 - great but try watching the guages in the dark with no lights.......had to wait till the run down to eau rouge to see the guages from the floodlighting and reflection of the pit wall signs each lap! Not sure if the old Smiths Chrono guages have the facility to be lit - if so that would be ideal!
Old 4 Dec 2007, 13:42 (Ref:2081397)   #13
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Smiths gauges are back lit, most are, I know Roger had none, I remember changing a gauge and someone had removed all the dash wiring, in a vain attempt to save weight probably !
Old 4 Dec 2007, 14:03 (Ref:2081405)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The only reason that all of mine are backlit Brendan.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 18:50 (Ref:2081568)   #15
james s
Rookie

United Kingdom
Alton,Hants
james s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only people making two needle "Smiths"style rev counters are Farringdon Instruments,have a look at their website farringdoninstruments.com
Old 12 Dec 2007, 18:29 (Ref:2087387)   #16
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Roberts
Not sure about neon backlit, but guages that are lit are useful - Spa in the dark in someone elses car having been told to watch the water temp (85 max) and rev only to 7500 - great but try watching the guages in the dark with no lights.......had to wait till the run down to eau rouge to see the guages from the floodlighting and reflection of the pit wall signs each lap! Not sure if the old Smiths Chrono guages have the facility to be lit - if so that would be ideal!
I was the same. We had all the guages in the Corvette back lit etc and then ran the Cortina. I had a lit rev counter and that was it. Each lap past the pits I would have a glance to see nothing was out of line.

I just missed two great books on Ebay - How to Repair Smiths Guages.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 19:55 (Ref:2087436)   #17
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead
Thanks Zef

Horrified to see quite a number of historic race cars running Stack digital systems and even data aquisition!
Hi Guys - first time posting..scary, huh?

I agree with the above, just such a shame to see a Stack rev counter in a historic. No need at all. Especially when it's easy to have the ECU illuminate the sequential shift lights, as it cuts the engine momentarily allowing you to actuate the quick shifter...no need at all for those fancy rev counter things to spoil the appearance
Old 12 Dec 2007, 22:38 (Ref:2087545)   #18
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Mike
Old 13 Dec 2007, 12:46 (Ref:2087931)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
quite

the other thing is, the dynamo, having been rebuilt with alternator internals, will only give so much power, so a few shift LED's is far more efficient and you need to save power for the Kronenburg EFi management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sweeney
Hi Guys - first time posting..scary, huh?

I agree with the above, just such a shame to see a Stack rev counter in a historic. No need at all. Especially when it's easy to have the ECU illuminate the sequential shift lights, as it cuts the engine momentarily allowing you to actuate the quick shifter...no need at all for those fancy rev counter things to spoil the appearance
Old 14 Dec 2007, 11:38 (Ref:2088672)   #20
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to throw the usual pebble into the pool.
Appendix K allows only instruments to be added-by definition the original instruments must be in position in the original dashboard. Which is why on the homologation papers there is usually a photo of the dashboard.
If you see an original touring car from the period you often see-BMW1800 Ti, Ford Falcons-a whole new set of instruments added in front of the original manufacturers set.
Non period specification components are not permitted.
It would be so nice to see cars correct to the way they were, and complying with the regulations !
Old 14 Dec 2007, 12:19 (Ref:2088693)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
agreed!

I have a period photo of my dash and I went out of my way to copy it, Smiths-tastic it is
Old 14 Dec 2007, 23:07 (Ref:2089155)   #22
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
agreed!

I have a period photo of my dash and I went out of my way to copy it, Smiths-tastic it is
i raced a modern car at oschersleben last weekend. It had a PA. loads of uselless information!!!!!, did make me nervous . I missed the all to clear 2 smith needles in one gauge telling oil pressure and temperature.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 09:27 (Ref:2093690)   #23
Henrik Pedersen
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Henrik Pedersen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember seeing "Grand Prix" the opening sequense. There you have the jumping revs. Looks lovely.
My F3 and Sports 2000 have that specs.
In my Cortina GT I have mounted a central pod, just like the GT that Ford rallied.
I am not quite sure if its legal, hope so, because it looks clean and neat.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3323755)   #24
phantom lunger
Rookie

phantom lunger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Touring Car Instrument regulations

Sorry to dig up such an old thread.

I'm looking for some clarification around the correct instruments required for the HSCC Historic Touring Cars/ Top Hat masters pre66 Touring Cars etc.

Section 6.8.1 of FIA appendix K stipulates "electronic instrumentation must be period specification"

The HSCC regulations state "Also the instrument panel may be changed for another panel of identical size, carrying other instruments"

I have the original instruments and dash but instruments are very tired and need restoration - I would prefer to install new Smiths classic instruments and Stack Tacho if possible

The car is unlikely to meet FIA appendix K regulations (no previous race history) but I would like it to be eligible for the HSCC championship. What instruments do most of the cars run?

I have a 66 Mk1 Lotus Cortina which I'd like to run at a few events next season.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3323765)   #25
Bruce Chambers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Bruce Chambers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom lunger View Post

I have the original instruments and dash but instruments are very tired and need restoration - I would prefer to install new Smiths classic instruments and Stack Tacho if possible

The car is unlikely to meet FIA appendix K regulations (no previous race history) but I would like it to be eligible for the HSCC championship. What instruments do most of the cars run?

I have a 66 Mk1 Lotus Cortina which I'd like to run at a few events next season.

Thanks in advance.
"No previous race history" does not prevent you building the car to FIA appendix K regulations so if that's the type of event in which you'd like to run it then you just need to build it appropriately.
With regard to appendix K regs and instrumentation I would suggest that only a tiny precentage of cars have instruments of the original type even the classic style tachos available now tend to utilise modern accurate and reliable stepper motor movements. Indeed the Stack Chronotronic facsimile of the period Chronometric units is programed to replicate the jerky wavy needle movement of the original at low revs thereby looking authentic in the paddock but then gives a clean waver free reading at higher revs so is accurate when you need it to be. I have never heard of anyone being picked up on non original instrumentation if it fits in the original dash and is of appropriate appearance I'm sure you'd be fine with currently available classic style instrumentation.