Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Oct 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2303062)   #1
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Helio in BIG trouble...

...being charged with tax evasion.

Up to 5 years inside if found guilty.

Per charge.

He faces seven charges.
Old 2 Oct 2008, 21:12 (Ref:2303068)   #2
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to Wesley Snipes hell.. similar amount of charges:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_...ax_convictions

He got 3 years.

Lets hope Helio isn't guilty.
Old 2 Oct 2008, 22:09 (Ref:2303101)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow NOT good press for the Indycar boys
and WTF? who would evade taxes how could anyone- you have to file... unless he isn't a US citizen then maybe he thought he got around it. fly to Brazil young Helio!
Old 3 Oct 2008, 00:15 (Ref:2303138)   #4
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This could be a very complicated situation. Is he still a Brazilian? What is his status in the US? Does he hold US citizenship. It involves offshore corporations and were the funds legally moved there. We all know the US tends to think that they are all powerful (they are) and International Law does not apply to them. Their courts do not always agree with this.
Where will Roger Penske stand in this? I am sure Helio had top notch legal and tax experts advice on what was done and possibly Penske's tax people were involved. Even the IRS would be nervous about taking on Roger.
He may or may not be guilty.
Maybe he will end up as cell mate to Lord Black of Cross Harbour!
Old 3 Oct 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2303364)   #5
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think the IRS would have proceeded with this in such a high profile case if they were not sure of a result. Probably be a plea bargain to reduce court time but i imagine that a some form of prison sentence (possible deportation, if he is not a US citizen) would be unavoidable (aka Wesley Snipes ). Penske/Philip Morris will have to release him from his contract to avoid negative publicity attaching itself to them. He may enjoy many tales of greed in prison with the credit crunching bankers, silly boy.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2303391)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
I don't think the IRS would have proceeded with this in such a high profile case if they were not sure of a result. Probably be a plea bargain to reduce court time but i imagine that a some form of prison sentence (possible deportation, if he is not a US citizen) would be unavoidable (aka Wesley Snipes ). Penske/Philip Morris will have to release him from his contract to avoid negative publicity attaching itself to them. He may enjoy many tales of greed in prison with the credit crunching bankers, silly boy.
Presuming this is actually true
Old 3 Oct 2008, 12:33 (Ref:2303409)   #7
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talk is that Penske (as in the Captain) could be implicated as well.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 3 Oct 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2303433)   #8
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can find the indictment papers on the Internet. Roger P has not been indicted for any offence.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2303587)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He pleaded not guilty to all seven counts in Miami's federal Courthouse this afternoon.

Bail was set at $10 million and was made.

According to TMZ, he was brought into the courtroom in cuffs and shackles and cried through the hearing.

He had to surrender his passport, but he will be able to drive at the ALMS "Petit Le Mans" race on Saturday.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Oct 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2303592)   #10
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Not going to Surfers then i guess,
Old 3 Oct 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2303596)   #11
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
trevisio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah right so greedy pig banks can mess everything up then get bailed out ready to do it all again, but Helio has to do time because of a relatively tiny amount of worthless US$ in tax that would just help bail out the banks...ah such a justice filled world ain't it. I wonder how much tax Wal-mart, Tesco ec. avoid via offshore strategies? Are they being investigated thoroughly..NO.

/rant mode off
Old 3 Oct 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2303602)   #12
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
assuming he is banged to rights (and as you say, the IRS wouldn't pursue if they weren't pretty sure), he won't be going to any US series races for a while - would be risky PR for a team to hire him [don't forget he is well known even to the general public thanks to dancing with america's got talent on ice]

Meira/Montagny/Rossiter/Matos/Allmendinger... place your bets now
Old 3 Oct 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2303635)   #13
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it's to do with offshore stuff remember that the US government think that they have juristiction everywhere but the courts do not always agree.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 20:36 (Ref:2303676)   #14
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
No jail will hold Spiderman.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 20:55 (Ref:2303690)   #15
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
assuming he is banged to rights (and as you say, the IRS wouldn't pursue if they weren't pretty sure), he won't be going to any US series races for a while - would be risky PR for a team to hire him [don't forget he is well known even to the general public thanks to dancing with america's got talent on ice]

Meira/Montagny/Rossiter/Matos/Allmendinger... place your bets now
It wont be Meira, he signed with AJ Foyt Enterprises and took Darren Manning's spot.

If for some reason Helio doesnt race next season, maybe Sam Hornish will come back. Paul Tracy even.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 23:57 (Ref:2303765)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan
It wont be Meira, he signed with AJ Foyt Enterprises and took Darren Manning's spot.

If for some reason Helio doesnt race next season, maybe Sam Hornish will come back. Paul Tracy even.

The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. What the IRL gained with Helio via "Dancin' with the Stars" it stands to lose and then some IF this turns out to be true.

Not sure, DanicaFan, that the Captain has recovered from the loss of chassis' the last time PT was in his stable lo these many years ago. I bet he still has nightmares about replacement costs...PT just doesn't fit the Penske driver mold though - no pun intended.

Hornish? Who knows - wouldn't mind seeing a hungry Allmendinger in a top ride.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Oct 2008, 00:10 (Ref:2303771)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevisio
Ah right so greedy pig banks can mess everything up then get bailed out ready to do it all again, but Helio has to do time because of a relatively tiny amount of worthless US$ in tax that would just help bail out the banks...ah such a justice filled world ain't it. I wonder how much tax Wal-mart, Tesco ec. avoid via offshore strategies? Are they being investigated thoroughly..NO.

/rant mode off

Hey, wait a tick! I get paid in those worthless dollars! Maybe I could talk to my boss about getting paid in Loonies at the least or perhaps Euros....
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Oct 2008, 00:59 (Ref:2303778)   #18
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
No jail will hold Spiderman.
I agree.

Old 4 Oct 2008, 07:19 (Ref:2303852)   #19
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
I agree.

LOL, awesome!
Old 4 Oct 2008, 08:38 (Ref:2303864)   #20
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look, everyone... this really isn't any of our business. This is all about his personal life. It has nothing to do with his racing ability.

What will more-than-likely happen is that as the trial goes on and it looks as if Helio may go to prison, then he may settle with an offer-and-compromise. That is where he will pay a lump sum to the IRS that both parties will agree to.

BTW, 2112, funny picture!
Old 4 Oct 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2303926)   #21
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
You can find the indictment papers on the Internet. Roger P has not been indicted for any offence.
Be that as it may and even if Helio does get out of it some sponsors could get too jumpy

Id be suprised if Penske Team didnt take a hit of some sort
Old 4 Oct 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2304412)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar7605
Look, everyone... this really isn't any of our business. This is all about his personal life. It has nothing to do with his racing ability.
It is about Mr Castroneves' availability to race.....
Old 5 Oct 2008, 02:07 (Ref:2304473)   #23
anthonyvop
Rookie

United States
Miami, Florida
anthonyvop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
If it's to do with offshore stuff remember that the US government think that they have juristiction everywhere but the courts do not always agree.
He could have the money in Timbuktu and it wouldn't make a difference.

If your earnings are derived from employment in the US you are duty bound to pay taxes on those earnings.

Why do you think most of the British F-1 drivers change their residence to MonteCarlo?

That being said.
Helio will most probably enter a plea agreement where he pleads guilty to most of the counts and pays a hefty fine.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2304633)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
It is about Mr Castroneves' availability to race.....
Exactly.

All anyone has to do is to recall what the antics of John Paul Sr did to the career of John Paul Jr. 'Nuff said about him.

Or, see Thomas Enge.

Helio is in some serious stuff and may well find himself unable to fulfill his contractual obligations to Penske. If this goes far enough down the road because he is after all innocent until proven guilty, sponsors that make it possible for Penske to do his thing may get nervous enough about further participation with Penske that the association with Helio may need to be re-evaluated.

Whatever happens it is a darn shame.
Old 5 Oct 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2304687)   #25
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that Helio could get 35 years if all charges are proven and no deal is cut.
First Degree murder in Canada calls for a maximum penalty of life which actually is a maximum of 25 years with no chance of parole for 25 years. Even then there is a clause that allows for a 'faint hope' parole earlier.
Tax evasion in the US is more serious than murder in Canada!