Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Oct 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2563595)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why is Fisichella performing so poorly?

What happened since he finished in P2 at Spa? Is it the new car? Team orders?

???
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 18 Oct 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2563596)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post

???
His dream becomes a nightmare?

Fisi nearly always seemed the sort of driver who was on top of his game when things were really good but way way off when things were not so good - for whatever reason. No consistency over the medium haul let alone a long one.

There was a year, I seem to recall, when he looked a little more consistent for more of the time - can't remember which one. But ultimately I have always wondered why teams kept hiring him. Presumably not for his overall results.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2563601)   #3
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess Fisi's poor showing sort of mitigates Badoer performances a bit
Old 18 Oct 2009, 11:20 (Ref:2563605)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or could that be the reverse?
Old 18 Oct 2009, 11:26 (Ref:2563609)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
There are two obvious things to me:

1. The Ferrari isn't actually very good, Raikkonen is just driving better than everybody gives him credit for.

2. Fisi hasn't got the hang of when to use KERS - he got caught napping by Kovalainen coming out of the pits in Japan, when KERS would probably have kept him behind, and during the one dry(ish) practice at Interlagos he wasn't using it at any point in the lap.

And as Grant says, Fisi isn't the sort of driver to go well when his car isn't just right, so if he hasn't got to grips with the Ferrari then he won't be able to get it to go quickly.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 18 Oct 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2563612)   #6
NPP
Racer

Germany
Germany and UK
NPP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
Fisi hasn't got the hang of when to use KERS - he got caught napping by Kovalainen coming out of the pits in Japan, when KERS would probably have kept him behind, and during the one dry(ish) practice at Interlagos he wasn't using it at any point in the lap.

And as Grant says, Fisi isn't the sort of driver to go well when his car isn't just right, so if he hasn't got to grips with the Ferrari then he won't be able to get it to go quickly.
To add to this, I remember him saying in an interview that he lacked confidence in what the car was doing under braking because of the influence of KERS.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2563621)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

1. The Ferrari isn't actually very good, Raikkonen is just driving better than everybody gives him credit for.

2. Fisi hasn't got the hang of when to use KERS - he got caught napping by Kovalainen coming out of the pits in Japan, when KERS would probably have kept him behind, and during the one dry(ish) practice at Interlagos he wasn't using it at any point in the lap.

That's right. The 1st reason should put to shame people who thinks that some drivers would easily be champions in a Ferrari.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2563629)   #8
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

It's probably mainly #1, with #2 adding a tenth or so on top

Say what you want about Raikkonen, he knows how to handle that car.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2563639)   #9
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So are you all going to apologise to Badoer. A guy who hadn't sat in the race car for some time and also had no previous experience of KERS.

Nup didn't think so
Old 18 Oct 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2563657)   #10
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
So are you all going to apologise to Badoer. A guy who hadn't sat in the race car for some time and also had no previous experience of KERS.

Nup didn't think so
The difference is, Fisi is a a few tenths to a second off the pace of his teammate. Which in a competitive F1 grid such as this puts him near the back. Badoer was about 3 seconds off the pace, which puts him right at the back, makes him a laughing stock and makes him a liability.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 14:49 (Ref:2563699)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Say what you want about Raikkonen, he knows how to handle that car.
Yup.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 14:52 (Ref:2563700)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's had plenty of practice, though. Considering he had plenty of pre-season testing, it took him a heck of a long time to get to grips with it

Fisi just hasn't had time with the car. I sympathise with Badoer as I like him and he was probably affected by the fact that he hadn't driven an F1 car for months, but at the same time, he was useless. At least Fisi is mixing it with some cars, albeit in the rear half of the midfield. His spin yesterday could've happened to anyone
Old 18 Oct 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2563726)   #13
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Ralf's Girl;2563609]There are two obvious things to me:

1. The Ferrari isn't actually very good, Raikkonen is just driving better than everybody gives him credit for.QUOTE]

How many points behind Massa was he before Felipe got injured?, this must make Massa a driving god To be serious, surely its just about the closeness of the field, half a second slower is at least eight cars further down the grid.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2563862)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post

???
Team orders. "Fisi make sure that you stay behind Kimi and everyone else you come across".

Difficult car to drive and merely adequate driver.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:36 (Ref:2563864)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Fisi does suffer from chronic crappiness.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2563875)   #16
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Speed hinted that Fisi is also running a lot of parts for 2010 as well. And isn't not like he is a rolling road block on the course, he's just not sprinting the car to the front of the field each week. For a guy that hasn't had the full season and any off-season testing Badoer had done he's still running decent times.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2563933)   #17
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
There are no crap drivers in F1.

There are drivers who are not as good as others in the field, but all, without exception, are amazingly good drivers.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 18 Oct 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2563983)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with that.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2564375)   #19
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
There are no crap drivers in F1.

There are drivers who are not as good as others in the field, but all, without exception, are amazingly good drivers.
absolutely right. But some drivers have a higher teflon quotient than others.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2564381)   #20
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
There are amazingly good drivers in lesser Formulas in F1,but who are crap in F1 cars.

In the main game a really good F1 driver could put a milk float on the front row.

Still would have been good to see what Fisi could have done with the Force India.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2564499)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the testing ban is by far the biggest reason. Everybody has struggled when stepping into a car this year, which is hardly surprising when they have no opportunity to acclimatise. Grosjean and Alguersuari are among the most promising young drivers, yet they've both been inconsistant at best. Something has to be done for 2010, or an entire generation of youngsters could be affected.

KERS is the main reason why experience of the Force India isn't helping enough - not only does it requrie a whole new approach to driving fast sections and overtaking, it affects the car under braking. I'm not convinced that Raikkonen is driving beyond what the Ferrari can do, although he's clearly a better driver than Fisichella.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2564594)   #22
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
Rofl I didn't realise a diagnosis had been made but it all makes sense now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Speed hinted that Fisi is also running a lot of parts for 2010 as well.
I'd say that too, if I was performing like Fisi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
There are amazingly good drivers in lesser Formulas in F1,but who are crap in F1 cars.
Would Sebastian Bourdais fall into this category?
Old 19 Oct 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2564599)   #23
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Slightly off topic but not here, I'd like to see some of the 2010 cars and how they differ. The Lotus (whilst still an early shot) just looks like a 2009 car.

Selby
Old 19 Oct 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2564639)   #24
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They're going to look pretty much the same - slightly longer for the bigger fuel tank, and hopefully no wheel rim disc things. That's about it
Old 19 Oct 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2564709)   #25
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
I wished they would also cut the length of the front wing. How many broken wings, flat tyres because of them did we see this season? And they look fugly to boot.