Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Nov 2009, 23:58 (Ref:2575995)   #1
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Barrichello vs Hülkenberg

So, who do you think will have the better of the other? The rookie or the evergreen? Who's going to emerge ahead at season's end?

My take: Hülkenberg will have a comparatively weak start, but will be Barrichello's equal by Sepang or Shanghai, slowly gaining an edge from there on.

Yes, I'm betting on the rookie.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2576006)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vettel
Old 5 Nov 2009, 01:10 (Ref:2576044)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm betting that Barrichello will take nearly half a season to get his brakes sorted out, and then blah! blah! blah! a bit mid-season onwards.

Hulkenberg will be another driver that is "championship material if only he'd stop making mistakes".
Old 5 Nov 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2576055)   #4
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd like to see a rejuvenated Rubens Barrichello in the 2010 Williams seat. Hopefully the confidence boost he undoubtedly received from being on the cusp of becoming a world champion (well, nearly) will roll into next season. As the eldest driver on the grid, he has shown that he has still got what it takes to win races and fight for championships, so hopefully he'll be given a car worthy of his talent and dedication.

As for Hülkenberg, despite his reputation I couldn't see him giving Barrichello a run for his money. Perhaps in the coming seasons, but not in his debut F1 year.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 07:18 (Ref:2576137)   #5
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I'm betting that Barrichello will take nearly half a season to get his brakes sorted out, and then blah! blah! blah! a bit mid-season onwards.
I'm sure he'll find a lot of technical reasons and team issues that hinder his performance to tell the press.

Quote:
Hulkenberg will be another driver that is "championship material if only he'd stop making mistakes".
Oh boy, I think that could become one of your biggest underestimations of an F1 driver. I think he'll be another driver firmly in that "would be a champion in a better car" category. Sure, there'll be rookie mistakes, but I expect less of those than we've seen from other very highly rated drivers.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 07:22 (Ref:2576140)   #6
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
I'd like to see a rejuvenated Rubens Barrichello in the 2010 Williams seat. Hopefully the confidence boost he undoubtedly received from being on the cusp of becoming a world champion (well, nearly) will roll into next season. As the eldest driver on the grid, he has shown that he has still got what it takes to win races and fight for championships, so hopefully he'll be given a car worthy of his talent and dedication.

As for Hülkenberg, despite his reputation I couldn't see him giving Barrichello a run for his money. Perhaps in the coming seasons, but not in his debut F1 year.
The thought that an in-form Barrichello, known to be able to win races and fight for the WDC, could be upstaged by a rookie was exactly what made me create this thread. And I do think that by season's end Hülkenberg will have more points tallied.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 07:56 (Ref:2576157)   #7
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winning in GP2 is one thing, being competitive in F1 is something else.

However, Hulkenberg was so blisteringly and consistently good that my gut feeling says he will soon be close to Barrichello's pace after a few GP. I do think that for the first season, however, Rubens' experience will give him the upper hand.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 08:26 (Ref:2576169)   #8
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TBH I would expect such a thread to be started at least after a first race in 2010.

Now it's all about divination IMO
Old 5 Nov 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2576294)   #9
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A bit. But you can still make rough guesses. I remember debating on another forum about who would come out on top between Rubens and Jenson with some Rubens fans (just to prove I'm not always anti-Button )

I actually agree that Hulkenberg will do the business. The guy's got as good, if not a better junior record than Lewis. I think that there's a chance that by the end of the year, Vettel will become old hat and Nico will be the accepted new Schumacher. I don't think Rubens will be terrible - perhaps similar sort of form to DC in his later years, but Nico will just be better

If there's one person who can put Williams back on the top step of the podium after 5 years, it's Nico Hulkenberg
Old 5 Nov 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2576325)   #10
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by koper View Post
TBH I would expect such a thread to be started at least after a first race in 2010.

Now it's all about divination IMO
We'll, you should have an estimation or opinion on how good a driver Barrichello is from his F1 years, and the same for Hülkenberg for his A1GP, F3 and GP2 efforts.

It's not divination. It's judgement calls and educated guesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I actually agree that Hulkenberg will do the business. The guy's got as good, if not a better junior record than Lewis. I think that there's a chance that by the end of the year, Vettel will become old hat and Nico will be the accepted new Schumacher. I don't think Rubens will be terrible - perhaps similar sort of form to DC in his later years, but Nico will just be better

If there's one person who can put Williams back on the top step of the podium after 5 years, it's Nico Hulkenberg
Wow, that's high praise indeed. I think Hulk and Vettel will become bitter track rivals as Vettel's not going to go away or fade. As for your last paragraph, I'm hope the Williams will be good enough to actually open up that possibility.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2576328)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'm looking forward to seeing how Hulkenberg gets on. He has four single seater titles to his name already so it's unlikely he'll be a slouch.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 14:48 (Ref:2576409)   #12
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he will beat Barrichello, his racing 'CV' is pretty much a match for Hamilton's. FBMW ADAC champ, A1GP dominant champion, F3 Masters winner, F3 Euroseries dominant champ, and GP2 champ! He is one of the few drivers who come into F1 and you immediately expect him to shine, just like Lewis, Kubica, Vettel, Raikkonen, etc.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2576432)   #13
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I don't know much about Hulkenberg, but his CV looks impressive. Surely there is no better yardstck in F1 than Barichello. If Hulkenberg matches Barichello, he has done very well indeed.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2576605)   #14
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian View Post

It's not divination. It's judgement calls and educated guesses.
For me it's useless, nevertheless I'll try

I have never followed his career, all I remember is him in A1GP and that people were very enthusiastic about him so must have been doing a good job there. His CV does look impressive - but still it's difficult to judge. All I can hope is that he will do as good as Hamilton, Vettel. Hopefully he'll get a good car to show that up.

With regard to Rubens I've got mixed feelings. I like that guy, but he lacks something. He was nowhere near Button in the first half of the season. It was later when he started to do a good job. At least it looked like, but I don't know whether it was him ar the Button having difficulties with dealing with pressure.

Ok, so If Herr Hulkenberg turns out to be another Herr Vettel than I am sorry for Rubens.

Well, Satorian, what do you think about that? Did I get the thread right?
Old 5 Nov 2009, 20:56 (Ref:2576614)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satorian View Post

Oh boy, I think that could become one of your biggest underestimations of an F1 driver.
He needs to get in the car first, and then he needs to beat Barrichello!

And remember that Barrichello has driven heavy F1 cars.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2576627)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rubens, even if he just goes for the goatie, will detroy him.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 00:20 (Ref:2576739)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
There can be no doubt now that 2010 will be 'The hairy season'.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 00:31 (Ref:2576742)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
And remember that Barrichello has driven heavy F1 cars.
The first (and best) generation A1GP cars weren't exactly lithe and agile.

Actually, I think that's why Hülkenberg didn't immediately master F3.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2577028)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Vettel will become old hat and Nico will be the accepted new Schumacher.
Vettel will be WDC and accepted as Vettel

Quote:

I can't help but feel that with the Cosworth engine, for whatever reason, Williams will get nowhere near the top step of the podium.

One thing i do agree with you one though is that Nico H is an exceptional talent.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 14:37 (Ref:2577030)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
will detroy him.
How do you detroy someone?
Old 6 Nov 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2577059)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Vettel will be WDC and accepted as Vettel
I think Hulkenberg will overshadow Vettel. He makes less mistakes. Even if Vettel wins a title, I think Nico will win 2. I think Vettel will become to Nico what Piquet was to Senna - the slightly older, lesser German

Quote:
I can't help but feel that with the Cosworth engine, for whatever reason, Williams will get nowhere near the top step of the podium.
I'll make another wild(ish) prediction - the Cosworth will be the most powerful and best engine on the grid next year. They've had time to develop it this year which will give them a headstart
Old 6 Nov 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2577075)   #22
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the guy has not turned a timed lap for any of us to see there are lots of praises being thrown at this guy.

I am just hoping he isnt a hack that putns cars into walls as Williams needs a change in fortunes SOON!
Old 6 Nov 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2577103)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
How do you detroy someone?
With a silent 's'.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2577109)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hulkenberg.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2577126)   #25
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by koper View Post
For me it's useless, nevertheless I'll try

I have never followed his career, all I remember is him in A1GP and that people were very enthusiastic about him so must have been doing a good job there. His CV does look impressive - but still it's difficult to judge. All I can hope is that he will do as good as Hamilton, Vettel. Hopefully he'll get a good car to show that up.

With regard to Rubens I've got mixed feelings. I like that guy, but he lacks something. He was nowhere near Button in the first half of the season. It was later when he started to do a good job. At least it looked like, but I don't know whether it was him ar the Button having difficulties with dealing with pressure.

Ok, so If Herr Hulkenberg turns out to be another Herr Vettel than I am sorry for Rubens.

Well, Satorian, what do you think about that? Did I get the thread right?
Pretty much, yes.

I think it's always interesting to see how people assess a situation where information obviously isn't complete and how they approach it. Considerung that we rarely have complete information, I like reading people's ruminations.

By the way, off-topic: I have family that should live near you. Distributed around Mikolow, Mokre and Tychy.

Last edited by Satorian; 6 Nov 2009 at 17:15.