Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 6 May 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3402880)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
L-series alternatives

I've just upgraded camera body from a Canon 1000D to a 600D. It came with an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm DC III lens, non-IS which scares me a little as I've always been trackside with a Tamron 70-300mm IS. Never shot anything without IS other than in the garden, and came out scarily blurry when shot wide-open at long lengths, so I'm apprehensive that I'll get the same results at the track.

I'd love an L-series with IS, either 200mm or 300mm but money isn't good right now and I don't do it professionally to warrant a loan or credit card to get an L lens. But do Tamron or Sigma do any that can be reasonably comparable to the almighty L's, but for less money? I already have a 28-105mm L so I know the quality is top-notch and that's the target I'd like to meet if possible.
Old 6 May 2014, 15:37 (Ref:3402888)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
I've just upgraded camera body from a Canon 1000D to a 600D. It came with an 18-55mm and a 75-300mm DC III lens, non-IS which scares me a little as I've always been trackside with a Tamron 70-300mm IS. Never shot anything without IS other than in the garden, and came out scarily blurry when shot wide-open at long lengths, so I'm apprehensive that I'll get the same results at the track.

I'd love an L-series with IS, either 200mm or 300mm but money isn't good right now and I don't do it professionally to warrant a loan or credit card to get an L lens. But do Tamron or Sigma do any that can be reasonably comparable to the almighty L's, but for less money? I already have a 28-105mm L so I know the quality is top-notch and that's the target I'd like to meet if possible.
I've got a Canon 75-300mm lens with IS (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-70-300...+75-300+is+usm) To be honest though I very rarely use the IS for motorsport - I find it more of a hinderance than a help (especially if you're trying panning shots). It's not as good as an L but it's probably the next best option and it's not stupid money.
Old 6 May 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3403097)   #3
dex92
Racer

dex92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What sort of price you looking at max?

In regards to IS for motorsport it does the opposite to what you want when you pan as it is trying to counteract that movement.
Even high end lenses with panning mode image stabilisation people reccomend to turn it off.

For shots in the garden is to put it into aperture stoop it down to say f7.1/ f8 then adjust your ISO till you get a fairly high shutter speed to counteract shaky hands.
Old 9 May 2014, 12:04 (Ref:3404110)   #4
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I have never used IS, in anything. Just learn to stand still!
Panning confuses IS, as you are doing what it's designed to stop happening.
Practice. Practice. Practice. Then go out, and practice a bit more. Repeat.
That wobble will go away, all by itself.
Canon 75-300s can be got for well under £100, used. Lots about. One thing to bear in mind? Decent glass is HEAVY, because it's, well, GLASS. More mass helps to damp out wobbles.
Old 9 May 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3404214)   #5
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 75-300 is not a good lens, its regarded as one of Canon's poorer efforts. There is also the 70-300 IS, similar focal length which is much better.

Sigma have EX lenses which is their equivalent to the Canon L range. The Sigma 100-300 F/4 EX is a belter of a lens, if Canon produced it it would be an L lens. They're difficult to find, but worthwhile and should be £ 300-£400 region secondhand. No IS but that isn't too much of a hindrance in motorsport. Good technique helps and a Monopod is useful, (especially if you want to preserve your back.

IS systems assume a stationary camera, and whilst some have a panning mode its generally best to switch the system off for motorsport.

The Canon 70-200 f/4 L (non-IS) is a very good lens for the money, new or used, but you may need to crop a bit more to get the framing you want.