Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2002, 10:08 (Ref:337205)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Is this the end of Yoong?

It appears that Alex is struggling to try to get within the 107% time. He is more than 2.5 seconds behind Mark Webber, and unless he can improve a fair bit, he doesn't look like qualifying for Mangy Course. This is probably his last chance to remain in F1.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 19 Jul 2002, 10:55 (Ref:337229)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope so!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Jul 2002, 11:35 (Ref:337254)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll be there as long as the money holds out. As soon as that stops, he's gone. Probably replaced by Bernouldi, who'll be looking for a ride once Arrows folds.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 11:41 (Ref:337260)   #4
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could we be so lucky!!!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 11:54 (Ref:337272)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But there must come a point where his sponsors won't cough up anymore.

From a commercial point of view of the sponsors, Alex must be starting to become an embarassment compared with the money they are putting in.

It's virtually unheard of these days of a driver not making the 107% cut.

But do we still need the 107% limit? It was brought in because of painfully slow cars like the Forti-Ford *shudder* who were effectively mobile chicanes.

Nowadays, even Minardi (no disrepect intended) are comparitively up there with the rest. Surely the 2.5 second gap between Webber and Yoong should be enough to ring the alarm bells!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 12:06 (Ref:337291)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yoong may find himself in BTCC...i belive he has been offered a ride with Proton. am i right?
Old 19 Jul 2002, 12:47 (Ref:337339)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Good riddance!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 14:16 (Ref:337442)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
With a grid currently at 22 cars and likely to be down to 20 at maximum by year end, F1 will need all the teams it can muster if the 'spectacle' is to be maintained. If not Uncle Bernie will be financially embarrassed.....not
Old 19 Jul 2002, 15:39 (Ref:337504)   #9
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yoong should really go crying back to Malaysia and consider a change in career!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 15:54 (Ref:337513)   #10
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol...Any thoughts on who Minardi would get to replace him?

Also..yeah...it looks like F1 will likely finish the season with 20 cars...or maybe 18...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Jul 2002, 16:07 (Ref:337522)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope he does go to touring cars . He has obviously got some ability just to drive a F1 car at speed , its just he hasnt got enough talent to merit him being in the very top level of world motor sport .

As i have posted elsewhere , we may find him able to hold his own much more in The Touring Car Series .
Old 19 Jul 2002, 19:50 (Ref:337670)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun
But there must come a point where his sponsors won't cough up anymore.

Agreed, is Alex doing enough to warrent the Maylasian government spending $20 mill? and the answer has to be no. The fact that he can't even qualify quick enough to partake in the race can't be a good return on their investment!
Old 19 Jul 2002, 20:16 (Ref:337682)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact is, Minardi needs the dosh. They NEED a pay driver. Now. As much as I love them, I feel Minardi would be best with their current system of one new talent and one pay-per-driver.

Keep Yoong. Seriously!! Either that or bring in thingey from last year (his name genuinely escapes me!! Not Alonso, but..... I forget). He was alright from what I remeber!! Not great, but OK.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 20:19 (Ref:337683)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
The fact is, Minardi needs the dosh. They NEED a pay driver.
I agree, but they also need a pay driver who can put the car on the grid at the end of qualifying!

(p.s....Do you mean Tarso Marques?)
Old 19 Jul 2002, 20:26 (Ref:337689)   #15
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THAT'S IT!! Marques was awight, IMO. Or am I the ONLY person on earth to think this??
Old 19 Jul 2002, 20:29 (Ref:337691)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Or am I the ONLY person on earth to think this??
i do remember people saying that Yoong could do no worse than Marques.............so maybe you are the only one
Old 19 Jul 2002, 21:04 (Ref:337723)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marques actually looked quite promising in his early F1 drives, and was looking good before F1, but the sheer disrupted nature of his career, the fact that from 1996 to 2000 he didn't have a full season schedule of anything, seemed to wane his talent.

But then when Marques was being beaten by Alonso, Marques ahd more than 10 extra races on him. When Yoong started, it was Alonso who had the slight experience. The reality is that neither is up to F1 standard, but ultimately Yoong came along with money.

As for Yoong's future, I think if Arrows go under, Bernoldi may get the offer to bring his Red Bull money in to Minardi, he'd be closer to Webebr than Yoong. But I suspect that even if Arrows don't finish 2002, they'll be back as a Red Bull team in 2003, and Bernoldi may get to stay thanks to that.

Paul Stoodart's patience is probably wavering, as Yoong's time gaps have been embarassing, usually the gap form him up to 21st has been similar to the gap from 21st up to about 5th.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 21:37 (Ref:337734)   #18
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Marques was awight, IMO. Or am I the ONLY person on earth to think this??
I didn't think Marques was that good, but he was alot better than Yoong. At least Marques was able to qualify and the gap wasn't that big to his team mate!

I never thought I'd say this, but bring back Marques!

Last edited by Spudgun; 19 Jul 2002 at 21:39.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 21:58 (Ref:337747)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide

Bernoldi may get the offer to bring his Red Bull money in to Minardi, he'd be closer to Webebr than Yoong.
this is slightly off the thread topic , but i think that Bernoldi would match Webber for sure . Webber is good , but he's not unbeatable , but Bernoldi gets labelled as a pay driver because he brings sponsorship with him , but in actual fact he has got the plenty of talent to back it up with . For me the money is a extra factor of him warrenting a seat in F1 , the main factor is his ability in the car.

Just my opinion.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 23:40 (Ref:337811)   #20
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber would do Bernoldi in.

And those calling for Marques to be brought back should know that Tarso did not bring much money in.

What's he up to these days anyway?
Old 20 Jul 2002, 01:04 (Ref:337835)   #21
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like i've said in another thread that i've opened previously, Stoddard is not giving Yoong the same package as Webber is getting. He's doing exactly when Marques was with Alonso. Marques didn't make the mark 107% for a few races too in the season as Alonso was given the priority to get the best package setup because of money constraint.

The sponsors from Malaysia ain't comin back next year because of this and they are quite pi$$ed because Yoong was given that sort of treatment.

That is also part of the reason that the sponsors didn't deliver the whole 20 million as promised.

Last edited by Jukebox; 20 Jul 2002 at 01:05.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 01:30 (Ref:337841)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Well, it sems that if Yoong doesn't qualify for France, he could be out. There are also reports that Mark Webber is looking around for another drive, and could end up at Jaguar. Amidst all this, Asiatech has indicated that they want a year away from F1, which leaves Minardi without an engine. Then of course, there are reports that Paul Stoddart was talking to a billionaire Saudi Prince with a view to a part ownership of Minardi. I suppose if this comes off, Minardi will be able to afford customer Ferrari engine and rear ends, and two fast drivers.
Rumours, rumours :confused: rumours.

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 20 Jul 2002, 01:41 (Ref:337845)   #23
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess would be if anybody were to pump in loads of cash into Minardi, Stoddard wouldn't be the boss anymore and it'll be more of a takeover than cash injection.

PS is simply inexperience....sorry to say that.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 08:26 (Ref:337937)   #24
Avid Merrion
Racer

Avid Merrion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But at least he has lept Minardi afloat . If it wasnt for him there wouldnt be any Minardi anymore.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 10:23 (Ref:337990)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Well, he could give Yoong a chance at testing, get the customer Ferrari engine and running gear, sign Bunsen up, and have a great year. Sometimes we have to be optimistic - and all Minardi supporters have this talent of being optimistic.

Valve