Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:27 (Ref:518291)   #1
NetWRX
Rookie

NetWRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One good reason why Bentley won't win LM

Anyone?
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:36 (Ref:518300)   #2
Brant
Rookie

Brant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The scrutineers will rule it, too beautiful to not be French!
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:38 (Ref:518307)   #3
NetWRX
Rookie

Aah yes, she is beautiful though ain't she? She looks like she's going flat out when she's stood still.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:39 (Ref:518309)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, I can't think of one.

Come on, someone is bound to start talking about those b****y R8, aren't they - lets get it out of the way now.....
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:41 (Ref:518311)   #5
NetWRX
Rookie

I have to admit to feeling a little nervous when I consider the R8's chances... but it soon passes
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:44 (Ref:518314)   #6
Brant
Rookie

Brant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll bet with recent revisions, the Bentley will match or better the R8 factory pace of last year. I think the worry lies with time spent in the pits. Those damn r9 rear end changes.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:54 (Ref:518330)   #7
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The MG rover guys will sneak into the Bently pits and replace the engine with one of their K units!!

No, seriously... only one thing really stands in their way (given reliability) and it can be summed up in two letters......

M and G
Old 26 Feb 2003, 13:56 (Ref:518331)   #8
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Brant
the Bentley will match or better the R8 factory pace of last year
Can't wait to see that on Sebring track
Old 26 Feb 2003, 14:00 (Ref:518334)   #9
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'll do it ayse...the audi clockwork uk team.

kane, salo, and the stig....now theres an unusual top spot on the podium!
Old 26 Feb 2003, 14:49 (Ref:518371)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only audi will challenge the 'bentley'-unless the gts corvettes have amiracle- no one else in protos can do anything...
Old 26 Feb 2003, 15:02 (Ref:518379)   #11
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
That's why they run the race. The last couple of years have been quite unusual. While they are incredibly well prepared, the Joest team has also had incredible luck. No contact of any consequence with other cars, no blown tires, or these other things that can just happen in a 24. It doesn't take much to eliminate two cars, and while chances are they will have some pace on the R8's, I will be suprised if it is significant, and one slip, and the R8's will be right there.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 15:17 (Ref:518390)   #12
NetWRX
Rookie

Yeah you've got a good point there Fogelhund, the R8 jockeys can drive like the devil and keep the car in good shape all the way through the full 24, that could be one of the ways that Bentley may slip up.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 16:00 (Ref:518416)   #13
The Boot
Rookie

United States
Rochester, NY
The Boot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year Joest a lot of tire blow outs, but when you are 5--10 laps a head it really doesn't matter.

I think Champion and Dyson are going to be the toughest...RFH and Audi UK should be right behind them...Lister is to new this year.

Sebring should make things a lot clearer.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 19:07 (Ref:518552)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, I can not think of one either........
Old 26 Feb 2003, 20:08 (Ref:518615)   #15
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MGF
The MG rover guys will sneak into the Bently pits and replace the engine with one of their K units!!
Unlikely! Have you seen the security that Bentley hires for their pits at Le Mans? Insane.

I think the Audis will be very competitive against the Bentley. The Bentley is definitely better-equipped to win this year, but it's still a GTP, with all those niggling GTP problems like tires, tires, and tires. Also the Audis were *much* faster than the Bentley last year. They'll be fast this year too.

And MG will challenge early...
Old 26 Feb 2003, 20:53 (Ref:518664)   #16
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by C_g
The Bentley is definitely better-equipped to win this year, but it's still a GTP, with all those niggling GTP problems like tires, tires, and tires. Also the Audis were *much* faster than the Bentley last year. They'll be fast this year too.

And MG will challenge early...

Gotta agree, the Champion & UK Audi's will be quick, reliable & easier on the tyres; while the MG will be quick and be better on pitstops, I have serious doubts it can run flat out for 24hours. At the end of the day, however, I still think the Bentley will probably win it.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 20:54 (Ref:518665)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Narrow width tires, could be a disadvantage, perhaps the reduced power for all classes this year could mean that the bentley loses it's power advantage, and now maybe the roof could be a disadvantage aerodynamically, without the power that it had, it might be better off without a roof. Also, The radical restyling is certainly brave and not neccessarily a turn for the better.
Old 26 Feb 2003, 21:15 (Ref:518687)   #18
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aawww c'mon guy's (+ gals... sorry) would'nt it be great to see the Great British underdog take an overall victory...

I mean MG Rover have come back from the brink of absolute extinction... I know the company have only provided the cash and power unit, but they still deserve a big hoorah for what they have done.

But, if a Bentley win's Le Man's... I'll still be cheering and laughing like an idiot...
Old 26 Feb 2003, 23:14 (Ref:518764)   #19
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could have been misinformed or it may just be wishful thinking, but i thought i heard somewhere that there was a change in the tire regulations for the GTP class, making them wider.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 00:22 (Ref:518799)   #20
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For 2004, yes. But this year, the Bentley still has narrow little tires.

And MGF, that would *fantastic* if MG won. That would be the best outcome possible.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 00:31 (Ref:518804)   #21
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There *is* no reason. The Audi's are old (read that "fatigued") and the MG's are a wee bit short on power. Everyone else is just not good enough (unless Porsche suddenly enters at the very last minute)

Now, if you're asking for a runner-up, I'll go with MG, just because they've been so fast in the past, and have had time enough to work out the reliability issues....otherwise....who knows?
Old 27 Feb 2003, 08:17 (Ref:519006)   #22
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it ever decided why there were so many punctures last year? I heard all sorts of theoies at the time, from different shaped gravel to sharper rumble strips. A puncture at the wrong part of the track could swap things around if it's a close race...
H
Old 27 Feb 2003, 08:28 (Ref:519011)   #23
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Audi's aren't "fatigued"

They're superb machines, which still have the neccessary speed to win, but i think the private operations don't have the race drilled crew and drivers that allow them to perform the gearbox changing, strategical miracles the the Joest squad could.

When i watched LM a few years ago on Channel 4 (In the UK) at about 1 in the morning the commentator was saying how in testing, they driver would be told by his race enginneer to go out a do some laps, then radio in with a problem that only he and his enginneer would know and the team would have to fix it, and they were timed as to how quickly they could do it, and so the team had virtually every possible problem covered.

The small teams like Champion couldn't fo this.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 08:53 (Ref:519035)   #24
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ZXKawboy
There *is* no reason. The Audi's are old (read that "fatigued") and the MG's are a wee bit short on power. Everyone else is just not good enough (unless Porsche suddenly enters at the very last minute)

Now, if you're asking for a runner-up, I'll go with MG, just because they've been so fast in the past, and have had time enough to work out the reliability issues....otherwise....who knows?
Im not exactly sure what you mean by fatigued?..........As in the integrety of the chassis? Aluminum rivited chassis after 15 years of racing will sure be fatigued, but that isnt the case with a world class carbon tub. All the other parts, apart from the basic tub are all replaceable, and easy for the team to see flaws in prior to them being too weak to handle a race beating.
Old 27 Feb 2003, 09:27 (Ref:519069)   #25
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bently WILL WIN,
they have to.