Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Apr 2003, 21:42 (Ref:575935)   #1
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Nissan P35

Its been pretty slow sports car news-wise (the board here is nearly dead!), so I feel justified plugging my own work!

http://www.dailysportscar.net/technical/nissanp35_1.htm
Old 22 Apr 2003, 00:28 (Ref:576028)   #2
David Ferguson
Rookie

United States
Paso Robles, CA
David Ferguson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great Article

Mike,

That's a very nice article, and excellent pics. As always -- fantastic job!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 00:41 (Ref:576035)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too mcuh to read, but i read snippets here and there. Nice pics too. Kinda puzzled as to why they found no benefit in the Bi-Plane wing though. More wing surely means more grip?
Maybe it wasn't worth the excess drag.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 01:27 (Ref:576044)   #4
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, it seems they had troubles finding front end downforce. if thats true, adding a bi-plane rear wing would just incourage the understeer
Old 22 Apr 2003, 03:41 (Ref:576084)   #5
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
You figure the Suzuka aero philosophy always utilized a low rear wing to interact with the tunnels. Adding the additional wing element really didn't bring anything to the party except a larger wing assembly hung out the rear of the car and therefore a higher polar moment of inertia.

Suzuka never indicated any architectural aero balance issues front/rear and Johnny O'Connell's comments didn't indicate anything like that ("A touch of understeer on [corner] entry, slight oversteer on exit"). O'Connell said the car was fantastic.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 06:20 (Ref:576142)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am boggled by the numbers you use- 9000 lbs of downforce?!
cripes- that would never spin out, is it estimated?
I know you are seeking employment but me as well, let's start a team...I am in CA San diego now any ideas?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 11:52 (Ref:576353)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Nissan P35

Quote:
Originally posted by MulsanneMike
Its been pretty slow sports car news-wise (the board here is nearly dead!), so I feel justified plugging my own work!

Sorry Mike, I'll let you have this one (as I know you're a staunch supporter of the forum), but quiet or not, I can't let you plug quite as blatantly as this......
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:20 (Ref:576512)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One word derscribes this, Mike...

Outstanding....

Anyone who is familiar with your work would expect this high standard....

Thanks from all of us sportscar fanatics, and keep building your info base...we all learn a great deal about the sport and the cars that comprise it from your work

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:29 (Ref:576519)   #9
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
boy...how can we sportscar fan live without these things coming from Mike...
Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:48 (Ref:577470)   #10
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one Mike!
Old 23 Apr 2003, 18:19 (Ref:578370)   #11
IanGrohse
Racer

IanGrohse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing article, wonderful information.....
Old 23 Apr 2003, 22:42 (Ref:578739)   #12
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Maybe if they had run bigger wing up high, and the small element low instead it might have worked?
Old 23 Apr 2003, 22:54 (Ref:578753)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if the smaller wing was designed to be an underbody extractor, then it wouldn't make sense to put the least effective section of the bi-wing in it's place...
Old 24 Apr 2003, 03:47 (Ref:578986)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Ummm, yeah, I really have to think Suzuka knew what he was doing. Afterall, how many years did the Nissan GTP ZX-T win the IMSA GTP Championship?

And again, it simply goes back the the Suzuka philosophy. The idea of the low wing extractor goes back to Tony Southgate and the Le Mans Jag. But Suzuka showed it wasn't mearly a low-drag detail. When combined with very effective tunnels, the low rear wing could generate useful levels of downforce for the higer downforce circuits. Suzuka simply continued that theme with the P35. By then it was highly refined and he simply saw no need for the high up element as the P35 was generating all the downforce they could use. Anything else would be more drag with little gain in downforce or adjustability.

The XJR-14 originated the bi-plane wing idea and I might be stepping out on a limb with this, but I'm starting to suspect that perhaps their front wing flap somewhat spoiled the rear wing. So the second element up high helped them regain any loss. Tony Dowe has said unequivically that the front element didn't spoil the rear wing, but without actually doing flow-visualization testing, how could one really know? And if it spolied the rear wing only a little, that could be the difference between having to run the higher element and not having to run it. Also, you figure the 905 originally started out with a high double element rear wing and then followed the XJR-14 lead with the bi-plane unit. They probably put the entire unit on and saw a big gain and never really experimented with removing the upper element. A bit of monkey see, monkey do. A lot of aerodynamics is like that.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the article. Thanks for the positive response.

Last edited by MulsanneMike; 24 Apr 2003 at 03:55.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 10:07 (Ref:579213)   #15
NissanGTP
Rookie

NissanGTP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd also like to thank Mike for all the work put into the P35 article. Some of the info and Pics of the car must have taken some really thorough research as info on this car is very thin on the ground.

For all those interested we should have our P35 on the track by the start of next year and maybe even the end of this year if all goes well with the restoration. We will hopefully be running it in the Group-C/GTP race series so you guys can come down and see the car in the flesh.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 18:43 (Ref:579752)   #16
C_g
Racer

C_g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mazda experimented at Le Mans in 1992 with running a biplane rear wing, and then running it with the top element removed. This was on the XJR-14 chassis with the Mazda-tuned Judd motor. In the race, they ran onc car with, one car without.

Some of Phil Brantley's photos from that year below illustrate.

Single element:

Double element (white/silver Mazda in the background):

Last edited by C_g; 24 Apr 2003 at 18:45.