Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Aug 2003, 20:39 (Ref:698634)   #1
Zaius
Rookie

Zaius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso laps teammate. Why?

I have been following F1 for quite a few years, but have always been perplexed by just how and in what magnitude teammates' cars differ from each other. I have always been unsure whether it's a matter of money allocation, and a team might decide to put most of it in one car. Maybe a question of driver preference, where one driver usually makes the right choice on his car, and another makes a weaker one. Or maybe even it has to do with driver ability, where one driver simply gets more out of a car than his teammate.

In any case, I simply cannot comprehend how any of these factors would result in one driver lapping his teammate, and when doing so, doing it with ease. Alonso simply ran away from Tulli after he lapped him, and I know Trulli has an aggresive driving style. Anyone know what are the biggest factors contributing to this phenomenon?

I also considered Webber's holding up the field during the first 16 laps, but even after that Alonso seemed to just continually get away from Trulli/Schumi.

Last edited by Zaius; 25 Aug 2003 at 20:47.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:10 (Ref:698669)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the current breed of F1 cars have such a small window of setup that it can mean the difference. I think the difference between a car that is setup perfect and a car that is okay, is a lap in a race. Just alittle off can mean enough time that it costs more than a minute in two hours.
Never forget #99
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:11 (Ref:698670)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it was just Trolley demonstrating his usual race "form". He can't race. At all. Well, bar Hockenheim '03 and Europe '99. And A1-Ring '97. That's it. Pathetic.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:25 (Ref:698682)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think that knowlesy is right, his usual race form. It's something that Martin Brundle and James Allen mention alot.

It seems to me that the only time he comes alive is when someone is behind him trying to get by for position, but then that will always slow him down because he is fighting for that position.

Imo, Flavour flav has made a mistake by re-signing Trulli. Alonso is going to need someone who will push him as a team mate and as a consequense push the team along more. If Flav still owns Webbers contract he ought to try getting him out of the Jaguar and into the Renault. That would be a good partnership.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:29 (Ref:698685)   #5
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, that race proved that Trulli can't race (he can qualify) and why Renualt re-siged Trulli, I have no idea.

He simply isn't good enough for such a top line seat.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:32 (Ref:698688)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not a big fan of Trulli either, though I wouldn't go as far as knowlesy. The big mistake Flabio made was turfing Fisi. He'd have been the perfect teammate for Fernando...

But you all knew I was going to say that.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:36 (Ref:698690)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think keeping Trulli was a way of keeping stability within the team and he's got the experience too.

Still doesn't explain his race pace though.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 23:02 (Ref:698795)   #8
LindaC
Rookie

LindaC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
I agree, that race proved that Trulli can't race (he can qualify) and why Renualt re-siged Trulli, I have no idea.

He simply isn't good enough for such a top line seat.
The team obviously think he is.....and they haven't done too much wrong this season.

Are you saying that Renault F1, with all their data on their drivers and knowledge of technical problems their drivers have suffered, don't have a clue?

Insulting to Renault, I reckon.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 23:19 (Ref:698819)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso was bloody quick, simple as.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 23:21 (Ref:698823)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Trulli wasn't, simple as.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 23:37 (Ref:698836)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Harsh...but true!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 00:56 (Ref:698890)   #12
Stuart Malaske
Rookie

Stuart Malaske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really thought he shouldve been on the front row with Alonso. He had the car and proved he could qualify well on Friday. But Alonso lapped just about the entire field. Including Schumacher!

Either he didnt have the car setup properly or chose the wrong tyre compound.

Trulli: "I lost grip almost immediately: the car was sliding all over the place."
Old 26 Aug 2003, 04:47 (Ref:698975)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trulli has benefitted from single lap qualifying as his performances have been great but he always seems to stryggle on race day as he is not consistent in his lap times.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 06:33 (Ref:699003)   #14
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Maybe someone has short memory problems!
In the previous GP Trulli outperformed Alonso in each day of the GP, remember?
Way faster in free sessions, way faster in quals, way faster even in race!
Rightly, nobody said that Alonso forgot how to drive: simply twas a better day for one and worse for another.
We all agree that Alonso has certainly better numbers than Trulli, but sayng that he simply can't drive is an odd exageration, IMO

Last edited by climb; 26 Aug 2003 at 06:34.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 06:34 (Ref:699005)   #15
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Trulli can't cut it against Alonso, while it is easy to blame Webber for holding the queue up whilst in second you must remember that later in the race Webber was leaving Trulli behind whilst he was in turn holding Schumacher up, all this while his teammate was running away with the race. I personally think Trulli was lucky to retain his drive.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 06:43 (Ref:699016)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Intresting question and I think it is only partially answered by Trulli's race abilities.

I think the two things that Fernando had going for him was a nimble chassis and no reason to defend his postion. That meant he could concentrate on the perfect lap time after time. Not having seen the lap times I would suggest his times were consistently within a tenth of each other until he started lapping slower cars. (Perhaps somebody could provide the stats?).

Yes Trulli is a better qualifier than racer (a deserved criticism IMO) but he was defending his position all through the race and as has been pointed out, that means he compromises his performance.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 07:08 (Ref:699036)   #17
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not so shocking, Alonso had a clear race, a perfect car and thus an optimal result. Behind him were cars which could lap faster and should have won the race (notably Kimi, JPM and Ralf) if it wasn't for all the things that make races harder even if you are faster or as fast. Like i.e. less perfect starts, slower contenders on a tight circuit or the threat of attack from behind. Williams complained about traction control systems not working too well i.e. Trulli's set-up wasn't ideal either as his car already showed in Saturday qualifying, perhaps he had a different tyre choice as well and he commented about a lack of grip throughout the race.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 07:21 (Ref:699044)   #18
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peter: In the official data sheets of www.tag-heuer.com/f1 there used to be a "complete results" of 150+ pages which noted every timed lap, every sector of the race. But since Australia 2003 they don't do that anymore for some mysterious reason. If anyone knows of a new publication site of this information, please let us know.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 08:09 (Ref:699083)   #19
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Paulzinho touched on is exactly right.

Renault needs stability, and at the moment, they are beginning to look like a force, with Alonso being their lead driver.

Sure, having another really fast driver alongside Alonso would be nice, but at the moment, the personality of the two drivers works very well, and why would you bring in another hot-head, to ruin all the good work.

Alonso needs to feel comfortable, sure, he might be pushed to go faster, but he might also be pushed into mistakes.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 08:23 (Ref:699101)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by twig
What Paulzinho touched on is exactly right.

Renault needs stability, and at the moment, they are beginning to look like a force, with Alonso being their lead driver.

Sure, having another really fast driver alongside Alonso would be nice, but at the moment, the personality of the two drivers works very well, and why would you bring in another hot-head, to ruin all the good work.

Alonso needs to feel comfortable, sure, he might be pushed to go faster, but he might also be pushed into mistakes.
But back on topic. Why do you think Trulli was lapped by his team mate?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 08:26 (Ref:699103)   #21
Rossi # 46
Racer

Rossi # 46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Alonso laps teammate. Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaius
I have been following F1 for quite a few years, but have always been perplexed by just how and in what magnitude teammates' cars differ from each other. I have always been unsure whether it's a matter of money allocation, and a team might decide to put most of it in one car. Maybe a question of driver preference, where one driver usually makes the right choice on his car, and another makes a weaker one. Or maybe even it has to do with driver ability, where one driver simply gets more out of a car than his teammate.

In any case, I simply cannot comprehend how any of these factors would result in one driver lapping his teammate, and when doing so, doing it with ease. Alonso simply ran away from Tulli after he lapped him, and I know Trulli has an aggresive driving style. Anyone know what are the biggest factors contributing to this phenomenon?

I also considered Webber's holding up the field during the first 16 laps, but even after that Alonso seemed to just continually get away from Trulli/Schumi.
Why can a footballer be man of the match one week, yet have an ordinary game the next?

Because they are all human and have off days. It just so happens that while Trulli was having an off day, Alonso was having the best race of his career.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 10:35 (Ref:699191)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trulli doesn't have many on-days though. Even Hcokenheim wasn't that impressive on raceday.

Trulli doesn't belong in a top car. jetsetter's point about Webber being faster than Trulli later on was very true. Consistantly Jarno has wasted opportunities and deserves no more. I doubt he can teach Alonso anything more.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:59 (Ref:699294)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Different setting, simple as that
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:15 (Ref:699325)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Not having seen the lap times I would suggest his times were consistently within a tenth of each other until he started lapping slower cars. (Perhaps somebody could provide the stats?).

On an ITV graphic, Alonso's 3 previous laps (at that time) were 1.23.8, 1.23.6, 1.23.7.

Exactly as you were referring to.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:17 (Ref:699330)   #25
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Alonso laps teammate. Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rossi # 46
Why can a footballer be man of the match one week, yet have an ordinary game the next?

Because they are all human and have off days. It just so happens that while Trulli was having an off day, Alonso was having the best race of his career.
Trulli's off days seem to include every Sunday though...