Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Oct 2003, 05:29 (Ref:760250)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best prepared for 2004

Which team will be best prepared for 2004?

IIRC, with the title fight this year taking up a lot of resources for the top three teams until the very last race, how will they be prepared for their 2004 car?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 05:49 (Ref:760254)   #2
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Re: The best prepared for 2004

If you ask Ralfie, he will make you sure that Williams is already better than Ferrari.

"It is said that a team can only beat Ferrari if the team is on the same level at the end of the season before. I claim that we are already better than Ferrari. A good omen for 2004."

http://www.motorsport.com/news/artic...D=140583&FS=F1

And I can tell you, for once I agree with Ralf
Old 23 Oct 2003, 06:20 (Ref:760263)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams better than Ferrari in the 2003 season final? :confused:
Yes actually looking at what happened at Indy and Suzuka, no doubt about Williams team superiority!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 06:29 (Ref:760271)   #4
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to Williams in the last two rounds was just circumstance, the Car was at worst a match for the for the Ferrari.

But back to the thread I think that Mclaren have got to be the hot favourites as they have in effect run a year long development program on next years car
Old 23 Oct 2003, 06:32 (Ref:760275)   #5
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont disagree with Ralf too much on that one.

Sure, at Japan, not all went to plan, but JPM should have won that race, and Ralf started at the rear, or there abouts.

At Indy, Ralf was leading before the rain, and would have looked good for the win.

Italy, JPM was pretty much even with MS for the race.

Hungary, you could see the speed of the two Williams'. JPM seemed quite on it, but the race wasnt exactly stellar for him, and RS, if it hadnt been for the spin in the first lap, he would have been looking very good......and i mean VERY GOOD.

Germany, JPM = WOW. A Williams 1-2 no doubt.

Williams were doing very well, and it suprises me how badly they screwed up, for many different reasons. They could have won both championships, realistically.

And in case you were wondering......i am not a Williams supporter. And as a McLaren supporter, i despise any success for them, but less face the facts.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 06:34 (Ref:760278)   #6
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Yes, FW25 better than F2003-GA in term of pace. Williams was quicker than Ferrari, or at least as quick as Ferrari. Montoya will win if have no hidraulic problem.

And, FYI, Suzuka was sircuit that Williams expected to be struggled.

So, yes, Williams will be very strong next year.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 08:02 (Ref:760325)   #7
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Hungary 89 But back to the thread I think that Mclaren have got to be the hot favourites as they have in effect run a year long development program on next years car [/B]
IIRC, the MP4/19 will be based heavily on the MP4/18, so the additional testing will play into the hands of McLaren, at least in the early part of the season.

And, with Newey's reputation, and McLaren's claims of a "quantum leap", the car will have a great deal of developmental potential over the year.

In this context, McLaren may will be the best prepared next year.

But, the totally new car its will make or brake it.

Old 23 Oct 2003, 08:35 (Ref:760361)   #8
MrBluesman1
Retired
Racer

MrBluesman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if Williams can solve their reliability issues then yes they are looking to be very strong next year. Ferrari struggled to have any kind of advantage over Williams and McLaren in most races of this year.
Yes I agree that McLaren should also be strong next year largely due to the fact of the very long lead time developing the now defunct MP4/18.
Maybe Ferrari should do next year with the 2003GA what McLaren did with the 17D but put 80-90% of their effort in to making it a better car instead of doing what McLaren did with focusing on 2 cars all season
I have to agree with Ralfie boy for once
Old 23 Oct 2003, 09:49 (Ref:760437)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also think that Williams look good for next year, if they can get reliability similar to what Ferrari achieve then they're going to be incredibly hard to stop.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 10:33 (Ref:760492)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Williams look in best shape for next year and Ferrari look very good to me also. It will be close between those two.

What worries me is how prepared are McLaren? Are they bringing out an all new car next year or what? Nobody really knows and their schedule seems to be all askew since MP4-18 was unveiled.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 12:23 (Ref:760634)   #11
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams are in good shape for next year, they just need the drivers to stop chucking themselves off the track or rear ending people

Last edited by jonathanc; 23 Oct 2003 at 12:23.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 15:13 (Ref:760885)   #12
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think were in for a threeway fight again this year, Willaims should be good if they carry on the edvelopment level.
Mclaren should be good if they can get the car to survive crash tests and be reliable.
Ferrari, i cant believ that they wont be fighting next year BUT maybe their time is up.
Renault, with the new engine they may struggle, but could also steal the odd win.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 15:28 (Ref:760894)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Ferrari could suffer with having their new car cycle coming in mid-season, unless they intend to stop that by launching the 2004 early. The 2003GA has got some awkward flaws that they can't develop out. McLaren are potentially avoiding that by going to the '19, but they didn't impress in 2003 with the farcical non-launch of the MP4-18.

That leaves Williams, who will almost certainly stick relatively close to the FW25, since it has been so good, and will of course have the BMW in the back.

And Renault. Although they are going for a big change in the engine I think the Renault policy of having two design teams (one for the current car, one for the next one) culd pay off big style. They could hit the 2004 season running, whereas the big boys seem to have trouble doing that.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 15:50 (Ref:760918)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams looked really good this year.........
Mclaren well if stories on the greatness of the 19 are to be beleived they wont be far off.
and expect FERRARI to continue having a good chassis and good luck as well
Old 23 Oct 2003, 15:52 (Ref:760920)   #15
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the question was not "best prepared to win WCC in 2004", I am going to say Renault and Toyota are best prepared for '04 because they've already exceeded expectations for '03. They've got a running start on '04. They have less to lose, and won't be looking over their shoulders as Ferrari, McLaren and Williams will be.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 16:18 (Ref:760943)   #16
ginettag27
Racer

ginettag27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next year may well be a 'classic' - Williams looking good and McLaren - a friend of mine has worked on a project for them.. and it should make quite a difference. All of them keeping the same drivers will also help. Plus Renault, if they get a load more power out of their engine... Mouth watering, saying that it will probably be really boring.. Don't forget to watch some GT racing where there's loads of action up and down the field..

EPS

www.epsracing.co.uk
Old 23 Oct 2003, 19:19 (Ref:761131)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think MINARDI are well prepared ,they cant get more worse than 0 pts.!!!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 19:39 (Ref:761152)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That doesn't make any sense at all ralf fan!

Ginettag - would you like to elaborate on this McLaren project? No?
Old 24 Oct 2003, 10:50 (Ref:761755)   #19
ginettag27
Racer

ginettag27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll ask my friend about it, should see him on the weekend..
Although it's probably well know in the right circles, I wouldn't want to put him in any trouble.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 10:58 (Ref:761762)   #20
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it a more realistic speaking voice for the Kimi Action Man figure? The current model is pretty impressive for a robot, but the voice just lets it down.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 15:36 (Ref:762016)   #21
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely williams/maclaren as best prepared.
Ferrari/bridgestone will be up there too but have some work to do.You can bet they will do it to
Old 24 Oct 2003, 16:54 (Ref:762071)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure whether Williams plan to launch their enw car immediately, but either way they seem well-prepared. Tehy can build on the innovations of the FW25, being able to mainly focus on performance, and will know that the FW25 is still a potential race-winner.

McLaren's MP4-19 should be a winner, a lot of the new features from the supposedly radical 18 should be reliable and consistant by then, although they will have no option but to launch a enw car immediately.
Old 24 Oct 2003, 18:30 (Ref:762130)   #23
alec dudfield
Rookie

alec dudfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot help but think RWC has it about right.At present Will's / Mcl. do seem better prepared or at least to have a few cards in hand. Renault appear destined to have post Gascoigne blues, and BAR could achieve the advances that Renault have this year. One senses that Michelin have a significant advantage with 3 of the four front runing teams developing their tyres. (and BAR poised to change). Technically I am certain that Bridgestone and Ferrari can match them, but is the hunger for success still as keen?

Last edited by alec dudfield; 24 Oct 2003 at 18:30.
Old 27 Oct 2003, 11:46 (Ref:764443)   #24
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Mclaren will be the hot ones out of the box next year and Ferrari will be close in toe I feel Ferrari now realize how much everyone has caught up and will want to build a buffer in case of Tyres wars ala this year .
William I think will struggle again at the start and come good like the last few years .
MINARDI could suprize a few with cheap new design's (arrows) and other teams on the down slide (Jordan & Sauber) maybe some good veiwing at back end of the grid in 04
Old 27 Oct 2003, 12:28 (Ref:764478)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
alec - welcome to ten-tenths enjoy posting here!

Teams with continuity will have the best chance of early season success in 2004. it's going to be interesting to see who goes for revolution rather than evolution for the early races. McLaren have to build a brand new car, whereas Ferrari and Willimans could start the season with developed 2003 cars - this may have a bearing on the early season and end up deciding the title as a whole, if the year is as tight as this one.

I guess that Minardi and Jordan will be announcing drivers/sponsors/car details just before the season starts, which is surely a disadvantage, even before the lights have gone green at the first race.