Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Nov 2003, 12:09 (Ref:786982)   #1
Trigger
Rookie

Trigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hines to Vauxhall in 04?

Has anyone else heard the rumour that 2003 BTC-P Champion Luke Hines will be in a works Vauxhall in 2004?
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:23 (Ref:787090)   #2
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard it some months ago, but think it has largely been discounted now, and thought that Hines will end up in an ETCC spec car.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:49 (Ref:787125)   #3
kestrel
Rookie

kestrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Hines to Vauxhall in 04?

Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger
Has anyone else heard the rumour that 2003 BTC-P Champion Luke Hines will be in a works Vauxhall in 2004?
There are only TWO 'works' Vauxhall, the other is a 'pay-to-drive' 888 car.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 14:14 (Ref:787144)   #4
Trigger
Rookie

Kestrel - WHATEVER!!
Old 18 Nov 2003, 15:23 (Ref:787203)   #5
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be surprised if he does make the move to Vauxhall, he and Barwell seem to be very happy with the way things are going, he has done some testing and been out in the Britcar races as well. But who knows, nothing will be concrete until an offical announcement or when the cars roll out for qualifying at Thruxton!!!! after all this is the silly season.
But whatever he does it won't be a works drive with VXRacing, as Kestrel points out whoever gets the 3rd seat at Vauxhall is going to have to pay for it.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 10:02 (Ref:788023)   #6
Trigger
Rookie

would be great to see him back in a barwell car 4 next year
Old 3 Dec 2003, 00:21 (Ref:801986)   #7
Tobsc
Rookie

Tobsc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hines in Vauxhall?

The current State of play is, that Luke is still in talks with Barwell, and has done individual deals to run in the Britcar races, and ETCC 'interim-spec' car testing, but he has still not signed a deal for 2004, 888 have raquested for him to do a 'driver evaluation test' with them, in the astra, how he gets on in the car, and indeed, with them, will dictate the amount of money changing hands (in either direction) that will be in 888's proposed contract....

888 are indeed talking to more than one driver though, I heard a rumour at the TOCA awards do, that Rob Collard already has a contract with 888, depending on him finding the neccesary budget you understand.....

But as far as Luke Hines is concerned, obviously , he is trying to keep his options as open as possible, a works drive, for a manufacturer backed team, is preferable to any driver, but, monetary issues aside, any proffesional driver such as Luke, stays in contact with as many teams as possible.

He would love to spend more seasons with the highly experienced Barwell Motorsport, but, if a Factory backed 'works' team offers him a drive, either paid or at a similar cost, it is undoubtably the the way forward for any young driver, and not to be sniffed at.

So for the time being, put the speculation to one side and wait for this fantastic young talent to shine through, and when he has completed his winter test program, with Barwell, 888, and two other(un-named) works teams, he , and his indisputably sucsessful and experienced management team, will make their disscision......

Have no doubt, Luke Hines is a driver that will be in touring cars for sometime, and only he only knows how to be quick and sucsessfull...
Tobsc
Old 3 Dec 2003, 01:26 (Ref:802011)   #8
kykiske
Racer

kykiske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the rumour seems to be 888 will run 3 cars, and that a number of drivers have contracts in front of them, but will only get the drives on the condition they find the cash.

Collard and hines seem to be 2, but no doubt someone will come out of the woodwork and surprise us all....

as with all these things, it is of course rumours, but i would be shocked if Vauxhall dont run 3 cars with the 3rd as a 'pay-driver'
Old 3 Dec 2003, 08:49 (Ref:802339)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Vey informed comments tobsc, you wouldn't be part of Luke's management company would you per chance?
Old 3 Dec 2003, 11:26 (Ref:802463)   #10
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to be! I've watched Luke's progress over many years, in karts, single seaters and last year's tin tops. That's the first time I've heard anyone describe him as a 'fantastic young talent'!!
We're not going to have another Dan Clarke saga are we?
Old 3 Dec 2003, 13:43 (Ref:802599)   #11
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooh, look, a human press release!!
Old 3 Dec 2003, 16:10 (Ref:802761)   #12
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kykiske
Collard and hines seem to be 2, but no doubt someone will come out of the woodwork and surprise us all....
Like Phil Bennett in 2001. No-one saw him coming!
Old 3 Dec 2003, 16:44 (Ref:802794)   #13
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Hines in Vauxhall?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobsc
...and when he has completed his winter test program, with Barwell, 888, and two other(un-named) works teams... Tobsc
two other(un-named) works teams

two other works teams... other than vauxhall of course. Only Vauxhall and Seat have confirmed so far.

And i doubt that Seat need Hines' help

is this the first proof that Mg and Honda are very much still in the 2004 btcc?
Old 3 Dec 2003, 19:48 (Ref:802958)   #14
skypop
Rookie

skypop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proton are still in, Edenbridge, VLR, CArly BMW, there are a fair few!
Old 3 Dec 2003, 21:52 (Ref:803087)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Collard stated in his Autosport feature last week he had a contract sitting in front of him for the third Vauxhall car..
Old 3 Dec 2003, 22:07 (Ref:803099)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But, and its a big but, it all depends on him finding the money, buy the end of the year. The person who I feel sorry for in all this is Paul O'Neill, the guy IMO has done nothing wrong, I just hope that if he does lose the drive he can find one else where. I did read on another forum that he might end up at MG (if they come back).
Old 3 Dec 2003, 22:44 (Ref:803128)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul will end up at whatever team takes the money off him.

Anyway why is Paul O'Neill suddenly out at Vauxhall? I'd imagine him, Collard, Hines are 3 of the whatever number drivers that have a contract from Vauxhall.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 10:20 (Ref:803532)   #18
Trigger
Rookie

it would be good two see o.neill in a honda ive heard allsorts ov rumours on vauxhall seat
Old 17 Dec 2003, 17:31 (Ref:814280)   #19
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?s=6&id=25554

Hines confirmed at VX, hopefully that means that Collard will continue as an Indie entry.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 18:02 (Ref:814310)   #20
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I got it from VX Racing. It's official. Though I would like to see Rob Collard get the works drive somewhere, sometime. He decerves it.

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 17 Dec 2003, 18:16 (Ref:814324)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Descerved yes, but what has Paul O'Neill done wrong - I think he has done really well over the last 2 years, let's just hope he picks up a drive somewhere else - MG?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 18:24 (Ref:814334)   #22
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul O'Neill hasn't done anything 'wrong' apart from not coming up with the £££.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 18:30 (Ref:814341)   #23
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
or was it that Hines had more ££££££
Old 17 Dec 2003, 19:04 (Ref:814373)   #24
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
............got to be
Old 17 Dec 2003, 20:38 (Ref:814472)   #25
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shame for O'Neill, this year he really showed he could race with the best of them, and after that Brands race where he lost his win to Neal, that fuelled him to come out bigger and better.

I'm alittle unsure about Hines, would had been better if it was Collard as Collard has atlest raced some form of Astra in the past and can come up with funds...etc

I wouldnt be surprised if Vauxhall run the Vectra next season and let O'Neill stay in his Astra (2003 spec)and run as an Indy or become apart of an Indy team.

I can't see him at MG really, there are not race winners like Vauxhall or Honda and I don't think Paul wants to take steps backwards. Honda is possible, as his old team mate in Matt Neal has a place there...i'm sure he would put in a good word for him lol

Last edited by SPARK Msport; 17 Dec 2003 at 20:41.