Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Aug 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1077083)   #1
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can RITTER really be ignored for 2005 ?

After his awesome display at Mallala can a part time driver like Ritter who has so much to offer not be given a seat for 2005 on a full time basis?

Surely DJR or FPR would have to really consider him.
Old 25 Aug 2004, 14:14 (Ref:1077116)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, just like Owen Kelly, Mr Ritter's reputation seems to precede him. Something to do with possible treatment of equipment.. but dont quote me
Old 25 Aug 2004, 21:58 (Ref:1077444)   #3
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Beating the Konica field means little but Greg is a talented driver. He failed in his "big chance" with 00 but their may have been some factors working aginst him. These days in V8 Supercars it is all about the driver being able to engineer the car as well as drive it and some drivers struggle in this department but I don't know if Greg would or not.
Old 25 Aug 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1077479)   #4
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok this thread has been done 50 times or so already. And everytime we do it we hear that talent is not enough, he has no communication skills and makes a dick of himself around the pits. So why do it again. Having said that I still think he has what it takes and with the right attiude adjustments in front of the camera might just make it.
Old 25 Aug 2004, 23:40 (Ref:1077519)   #5
Good Old Bazza
Rookie

Good Old Bazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's pace at Sandown & Bathurst will be great to see, I wonder if he will be able to be faster than his team mates this year?
Time will tell. But a very natural talent indeed.
Go Ritter!
Old 26 Aug 2004, 02:12 (Ref:1077584)   #6
spa-eau rouge
Racer

spa-eau rouge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
unfortunately his personality and temperment do not fit the promotional image and requirements required...
Old 26 Aug 2004, 02:56 (Ref:1077595)   #7
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a pity some are so shallow. Image over talent does not smell right to me olthough I do know a kid that is suffering because of his fathers image so I guess shallow is allowable.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 06:09 (Ref:1077646)   #8
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's at least two isn't there AAB?
Old 26 Aug 2004, 06:49 (Ref:1077671)   #9
Techo
Racer

Techo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have found Ritter quite the opposite, friendly, smallish ego & nice commpared to others( no silverspoon ), a working man's driver.
It's hard to not be a bit "I'm good" when you only drive part time and out Qualify your full time team mates at two different teams (DJR, PWR -Bathurst).

Has he had a bit of a DJ and said I'm this & that or what ?

Could somebody "quote" what it is I've missed, or is it just a rumour that he is like whatever

Last edited by Techo; 26 Aug 2004 at 06:58.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 07:33 (Ref:1077690)   #10
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive got to agree with Techno??????????
Old 26 Aug 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1077929)   #11
Techo
Racer

Techo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite here
Old 26 Aug 2004, 12:35 (Ref:1077999)   #12
dumbrell_fan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria
dumbrell_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all the best to Greg next year, i hope he does get a main drive next year
Old 26 Aug 2004, 21:49 (Ref:1078570)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Also a Believer
Its a pity some are so shallow. Image over talent does not smell right to me olthough I do know a kid that is suffering because of his fathers image so I guess shallow is allowable.
If motorsport was a meritocracy, where all drivers could come and compete on their own talents, not the ability to wangle sponsors, or to help secure and maintain them, you could be accurate in your views.

Meantime back in the real world....

.... these things are as important as driving the car.

Take a squiz at the plight og Jacques Villeneuve... nobody wants to touch him, despite being a former WDC, because of his poor reputation for keeping sponsors happy, and a widely reported poor work ethic.

No free rides here boys....
Old 26 Aug 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1078612)   #14
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
And he is French (Canadian)
Old 26 Aug 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1078624)   #15
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't quote all the above references but most of you will be able to follow these responses;

No one did any good at 00.

If Ford put image before performance and expect results - they will stay exactly where they are (or worse).

Having some insight into the media, what we see of the personalities of the current crop of drivers in front of the microphone/camera is contrived and massaged. You can (I can) see through the spin and can see that none of them are 'naturals' in media, they have had to be coached. When it comes to punting a V8SC (fast) it is a big advantage to be a natural.

JV has been quoted as not being the complete package as he was not PR savvy. There was another F1 driver that lacked (detested) the media requirements of F1 but kept his seat on merit ..... what was his name again ....... ah yes, Senna.

One of the major talent voids at Ford V8SC at the moment is the management, sure is some talent lacking there, and personality (add image, knowledge, balls), should have taken the sales job in NSW, not Ford Motorsport.

Cheers
Old 26 Aug 2004, 22:58 (Ref:1078638)   #16
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
lcfp2297 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aahhh Yes, but I do believe Senna won a few races each year...What did JV do in his last few years and how many races has GR won?

Talent is only one part of the package (and is really only akin to potential) in any job...not just motorsport. Translating that talent into a winning package is what will allow you to continue to be deficient in other areas.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 23:07 (Ref:1078647)   #17
EMR39

Agreed. Motorsport is not just car racing. It's showbusiness. It's one hell of a show that travels the country all year round, aiming to put on something that will make people stop and watch and want to pay money to be there. It's a viscious circle, without the interest from the fans, there would be no money in the sport to put on the shows that it currently does. Hence, the drivers have to have the right on screen personality otherwise, there are many people that just won't give the time of day to watch

Having said that of course, I've not met Greg and therefore cannot comment on his camera manner or for that matter, in general.

........That's my 2 cents.

Last edited by EMR39; 26 Aug 2004 at 23:17.

Old 27 Aug 2004, 01:34 (Ref:1078731)   #18
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
McLean Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Camaroz

If Ford put image before performance and expect results - they will stay exactly where they are (or worse).
They already have. They willingly allowed Bright and Richards to go to Holden whils putting "personalities" such as Bargs and Ingall on retainers.

Personally, I would have gone for the talent.

But that's our Ford, merrily running their V8 program like its a tax write-off.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 01:50 (Ref:1078743)   #19
lcfp2297
Racer

Australia
lcfp2297 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've still got the "mobile speed hump" Or have they???
Old 27 Aug 2004, 02:10 (Ref:1078750)   #20
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
McLean Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get the impression that Ford see Seton as baggage.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 08:33 (Ref:1078883)   #21
spa-eau rouge
Racer

spa-eau rouge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it is unfortunate that GR also carrys baggage from the past in his linearge ,of which the right people still remember.....
Old 27 Aug 2004, 11:14 (Ref:1079018)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally posted by McLean Fan
I get the impression that Ford see Seton as baggage.
I get the feeling they saw him as surplus to requirements when Craig was still on board at FPR, and now Lowndes has run to 888, there are serious moves to keep Seto on the Ford side.

Except I still think he will turn to the red team.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 11:48 (Ref:1079050)   #23
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ideal senario!

JB goes to FPR (knows them all, well connected, favourite son etc, etc, only one of the current Ford drivers to upset the SBR applecart (Winton)). Andy joins 'uncle' in newly named FJR (Family Jones Racing) in the Black.

A smart Ford team (there is only one of those) somehow holds onto Ritter otherwise one of the smarter Holden Teams (there are a lot of those though most are father/son oppo's and I don't include the owner/driver mob) will grab him and at least put a (formally KM now VB) Series together for him before running in the main game in 2006!

Seto is going to DJR. The big benefit here is that he also has enough knowledge of how to run a race team/how a V8SC Team works to sort out the passengers in DJR (at least half) and offer some insights to hopefully bring them back.

Trivia Quiz. How many PS/Moffat RX7's were built? Where are they now?

Cheers
Old 27 Aug 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1079161)   #24
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by EMR39
Motorsport is not just car racing. It's showbusiness.
Dont confuse Motor SPORT and Motor Racing!

Ill have a sixpack of Johnny Walker & Coke on Ritter not being in the main game in '05.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 21:21 (Ref:1079540)   #25
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't you like JW rdmdog?