Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Jan 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1193167)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Driver of the Year

You can now vote on SpeedTV's "Driver of the Year" award.

http://www.speedtv.com/features/591/

Here's the unbelievable part...

Right now, Bourdais leads Jimmie Johnson, 58% to 21% !!!
Old 4 Jan 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1193195)   #2
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still 58%-21%

Steve Kinser is beating both the NASCAR and IRL Champions!

Last edited by camcartfan; 4 Jan 2005 at 20:46.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1193200)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've placed my vote.

Won't say who for though
Old 4 Jan 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1193243)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Voted for Bourdais, of course!
Old 5 Jan 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1193687)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
61-19% Bourdais-Johnson. Come on guys we can win this! It's dishonest, but I don't really care: vote at home and at work and at friends' homes. We all know SpeedTV would NEVER select a CC driver to win, but if we can win this poll maybe we can pressure them into giving Bourdais serious consideration.
Old 5 Jan 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1193768)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ultimately the decison comes down to motorsports journalists. I think the fans vote counts for very little. If i remember correctly PT won the fans vote last year but Ryan Newman won the whole shebang.
Bourdais should win IMO.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 5 Jan 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1193864)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ryan Newman won the fan vote by 44%. I think what was unusual was that PT won multiple "driver of the quarter" fan votes. http://www.nascar.com/2003/news/head...9/rnewman_doy/
Old 5 Jan 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1193924)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I voted....

For Kanaan....

Sorry....Seabass had a great year....but Kanaan was phenomenal...the guy completed every lap of every race on the lead lap and never finished worse than 8th over a full season...

It was unprecedented....and it wasn't like he was dogging it because he led lots of races and notched more than a few wins...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Jan 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1193926)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I can't argue with Kanaan's success, but IMO the "DoY" award should go to somebody who had to spend the season changing gears as well as steering!
Old 5 Jan 2005, 20:01 (Ref:1193938)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Guess you didn't watch much of the other Series once they changed the engines to the 3.0 L powerplants...they were shifting a lot to keep the rpm up and to pass...

Lots of shifting....

Of course, he wasn't shifting nearly as much as any CC driver on any given race weekend..except Las Vegas....

But the total season results he had will probably never be duplicated....I still can't imagine how he finished every race on the lead lap.....

usually, a guy will have at least one bad race....

he didn't..

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 5 Jan 2005 at 20:02.

Old 5 Jan 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1194045)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He had the right amount of speed, right team, right driving and loads of luck, too.
I know there's a big difference, but it is still miles away from Schumacher's "season on the podium".
Old 5 Jan 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1194046)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
In 2002, that was. We mustn't forget about Jimmy Vasser scoring in each race but one in 1996, in a much more competitive and complete championship.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 01:49 (Ref:1194198)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry gang but on pure car control my vote goes to the Sprint Car driver every time. Steve (or Sheldon) would eat these cats alive!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 03:25 (Ref:1194215)   #14
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that this might count for 1 vote, the rest of the journalists get the final say, like it was pointed out.
So expect a Nascar guy to win it. Don`t be surprised if it`s Kurt Busch.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 05:17 (Ref:1194239)   #15
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just voted, it's now 68% for seabass.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1194510)   #16
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I can think of a few people who did not vote for Seabass...

Like the guys in the RollCentre Racing shops (LMES team)....

Remember Le Mans, anyone???

Old 6 Jan 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1194523)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

That's a big part of why I didn't vote for him.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1194735)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
I know it's suppose to be a series independant vote and Kannan clearly put in a terrific performance, but let me put it to you this way, if Kannan was Bourdais' teammate @ NH this year, would it have changed anything for Bourdais? I don't think so, that's why Bourdais got my vote.
Old 6 Jan 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1194740)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I see your point...to an extent....

But N-H clearly had the strongest team in CC this year, whereas there were a number of strong teams in the other Series and thus Kanaan had to beat a greater number of "competitive" cars every time out...including even his own team members...

and to an extent, the Le Mans incident was a black mark on his report card for me, too...

It wasn't the reason why I didn't vote for him, but I didn't ignore it, either....

Old 8 Jan 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1195723)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
You've got a point regarding NH's dominance, but essentially Kannan was up against Rice, Weldon, Dario, Herta and later in the season Fernandez. I expect Kannan to beat Dario and Herta on ovals, so essentially his main acheivement was beating Rice and Weldon. Is beating Rice and Weldon that more substantial than beating Junquiera consistantly and by a large margin? IMO even taking into consideration equipment, compare Bourdais to PT when he was performing well and Bourdais still looks very good. If Fernandez had end of season form from the begining, I think he could have given Kannan a run for his money. In fact that in itself is a good comparison, because while Fernandez is very talented, we know where he stood in both recently and in the past in CC against some of the aformentioned names.

The above consideration wasn't the only factor for me, it was mostly that Bourdais was clearly in a league of his own. The end of season results don't show that Bourdais had monsterous speed in virtually every race.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1196916)   #21
LadyRaceFan
Rookie

LadyRaceFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the vote was for this years performance, not their careers. Clearly I should have put more thought into my vote

Last edited by LadyRaceFan; 10 Jan 2005 at 01:13.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 05:16 (Ref:1209190)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
We did our part, Bourdais won the fan vote. It didn't seem to do much good...
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1209414)   #23
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It never does. If nothing else it certainly does show that Champ Car has a strong fan base. Congrats to this Anderson fellow.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 25 Jan 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1209556)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Well done to Sebastien and the fans who voted for him.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1209826)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Well done to Sebastien and the fans who voted for him.
I voted for him!

He stood out from the others, and to be honest no one else really desrved it as much as Sebastien.

So a worthy winner.