Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Nov 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1457868)   #1
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why no Dodge Viper SRT10 in GT racing?

Why doesn't Chrysler/Dodge commission someone to build a GT1 version of the Viper SRT10?

It looks like a winner to me...
Old 11 Nov 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1457870)   #2
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Chrysler never came back into sportscars after their failed attempts to win Le Mans with their Dallara prototype. I think with their Mercedes connections all their efforts in F1 I doubt they'll commission the funds. I'm sure Oreca would jump at he chance to race the vipers again. They said they wouldn't do Le Mans unless tey could get factory backing.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1457875)   #3
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Chrysler/Dodge has no programme now and their rival Corvette is doing so well in the ALMS.

Maybe ORECA should do a Prodrive, build the cars, race them and sell loads of them off to other privateers.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1457959)   #4
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa
Maybe ORECA should do a Prodrive, build the cars, race them and sell loads of them off to other privateers.
Do you know of someone that has several million hanging around in loose change to fund it? That's what Prodrive had. I don't think Oreca has the money to do that.

How much of the development budget from the original Viper program came from Dodge/Chrysler? It wasn't Oreca.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1458121)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink69
Chrysler never came back into sportscars after their failed attempts to win Le Mans with their Dallara prototype.
What a waste... the chassis has proven to be a very sweet one, and that was the first run with the Mopar engine. A great opportunity missed. I think they had a better chance than Cadillac ever did.

Back to the main topic - c'mon, Chrysler, bring the Viper back!
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 11 Nov 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1458137)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No Viper but maybe the cars spiritual predecessor

Old 11 Nov 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1458216)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
There are rumours Dodge (together with Prodrive) will enter WTCC in 2007.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1458263)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi R8R
Do you know of someone that has several million hanging around in loose change to fund it? That's what Prodrive had. I don't think Oreca has the money to do that.

Actually, wasn't it Fredoric Dor that funded the 550 program? I thought he basically commissioned Prodrive to build the racecars.

But you are correct. Not only would it take a lot of money, you also need the technical capability of Prodrive.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1458852)   #9
Audi R8R
Racer

What I meant was, that you needed a Fredoric Dor. I just wasn't naming names.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1458909)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also see this thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=Viper
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1458925)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont understand why , in its hayday , no American teams EVER wanted to race a Viper competitivily in the Alms . I will never understand why not ?

Before anyone says it ..... Oreca are NOT an American team .

Heaps want to get their mits on a C6R or even a C5R but nobody wanted a Viper when it was a brilliant car
Old 12 Nov 2005, 16:01 (Ref:1458958)   #12
Audi R8R
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa

Of course, the other problem being that with US/French relations at an all time low point, I can't see an American manufacturer wanting to pay a French team to develop and run their cars in the US.

Then again, can't think of many American teams they'd want either...
Old 12 Nov 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1459109)   #13
Supercar
Rookie

Russian Federation
Supercar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
There are rumours Dodge (together with Prodrive) will enter WTCC in 2007.
I believe that. The Dodge brand is being introduced in Europe (Viper used to be a Chrysler in Europe before), so it makes sense to race Dodge products in some touring car championship, like WTCC.

It will take Prodrive to win against Pratt&Miller in ALMS. Right now they have their hands full with the Astons. Penske cannot help either because there will be a conflict of interests with Porsche.

Philip
Old 13 Nov 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1459561)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercar
I believe that. The Dodge brand is being introduced in Europe (Viper used to be a Chrysler in Europe before), so it makes sense to race Dodge products in some touring car championship, like WTCC.
Indeed
Old 13 Nov 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1459651)   #15
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:

It will take Prodrive to win against Pratt&Miller in ALMS. Right now they have their hands full with the Astons. Penske cannot help either because there will be a conflict of interests with Porsche.

Philip
for a mo, but at the 2000 ELMS @ Silverstone, where Saturday night was ELMS and a round of the FIA GTs was on Sunday, on Saturday, becuase the championship was american backed, the Vipers had to be referred to as Dodge Vipers, and the next day the same cars had to be refferred to as Chrysler Vipers because that championship is European. That applied to every thing, programmes, commentators and the whole shebang.

Back on topic. I think the reason is that GT racing has moved on since the original Viper was introduced. With cars such as the Mosler, Saleen et al - the sucessful GTs are these days designed as racers first and foremost, and made into road going models as a homologation issue. Turning flabby, over engineered road models into competitive racers is becoming increasingly difficult.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1459661)   #16
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there any way to rule over anything so that cars should be designed for the road first? Very difficult, I can well imagine, particularly with where to draw the lines with what's "road-built" and whats "race-built".

I'm not saying that cars such as the Saleens are anything bad - I love the S7's! Fantastic cars - it's just that if cars get designed for the track first then, particularly with projects like the MC12, relations with the road are going to get further away as designers are put under pressure to build race-winning cars, and if it's not controlled properly then the worst case scenario would be the GT1 situation of 7-8 years ago all over again.

It's reasons like that which kinda make me pleased that the MC12 was never allowed at Le Mans - nice a car as it is, it's clearly a racer, not a car meant for the road. It's another reason why I'd quite enjoy seeing the SRT-10 in racing.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 04:51 (Ref:1460057)   #17
Supercar
Rookie

Russian Federation
Supercar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
It's reasons like that which kinda make me pleased that the MC12 was never allowed at Le Mans - nice a car as it is, it's clearly a racer, not a car meant for the road.
I'd think so too, but here is what was recently seen on streets of St. Petersburg, Russia.

The car had Italian license plates, so someone must have driven it a few thousand miles or so.

Philip
Old 14 Nov 2005, 06:31 (Ref:1460085)   #18
Jeffrey-Lee
Racer

Jeffrey-Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The car had Italian license plates, so someone must have driven it a few thousand miles or so.
On a flatbed maybe

Still a very impressive piece of automobile engineering though.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1460606)   #19
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it was stolen from Italy to Russia
Old 14 Nov 2005, 19:42 (Ref:1460611)   #20
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...with love...

Just because it's road legal doesn't mean it's actually suitable to be driven on the road.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 05:41 (Ref:1461020)   #21
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well Dodge has this turn key racer in the US but they never bothered to get it FIA/ACO approved so it's today only club racer that anyone can buy for $129.000.

Viper Competion Coupe
Old 15 Nov 2005, 05:54 (Ref:1461024)   #22
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb
Well Dodge has this turn key racer in the US but they never bothered to get it FIA/ACO approved so it's today only club racer that anyone can buy for $129.000.
It isn't that they haven't bothered, as it wouldn't be legal, even if they had bothered.
Old 15 Nov 2005, 06:03 (Ref:1461028)   #23
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Engine too big - they'd have to build a run of homologation "specials".
Old 16 Nov 2005, 01:46 (Ref:1461883)   #24
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well don't they already have a engine that legal from the old Viper?
it's not like the Comp Coupe has different engine.
Old 16 Nov 2005, 04:27 (Ref:1461960)   #25
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Except that the legal engine is in a different car, and the one in the actual car is too big. So they'd have to build a series of new Vipers with the old engine (I think).