Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 27 Aug 2002, 20:02 (Ref:366951)   #1
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Daniel Buxton

How did he get away with it at Paddock.... TWICE!

Amazing! Sideways, brilliantly held and fantastic to watch!

Has he got anything lined up for next season?
Old 27 Aug 2002, 21:39 (Ref:367018)   #2
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heart in mouth stuff, and definitely a 5.9 from this judge on both occasions There was some fantastic driving going on in that race, especially from Daniel - to recover - twice - from such sideways moments and immediately post fastest laps is quite an achievement! It's a shame he got scuppered every time he was trying to sell a dummy to the car in front at Paddock, but full marks to all concerned for some very close racing with, in the main part, little or no contact.

Hopefully Daniel will log in and give his view of the race
Old 28 Aug 2002, 07:23 (Ref:367175)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be good !....another year of Clios ?
Old 30 Aug 2002, 22:16 (Ref:369513)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully Touring Cars for Daniel next year, I think he did try to get a seat this year?
Old 1 Sep 2002, 17:20 (Ref:370607)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was going for the Egg drive but it went to O'Neill.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 09:21 (Ref:371925)   #6
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
He was going for the Egg drive but it went to O'Neill.
As is the case with the majority of BTCC drives at the moment, they had to come up with six figure sponsorship to secure it. O-Neil presumably had the contacts to make that happen.

Stacy
Old 3 Sep 2002, 20:29 (Ref:372448)   #7
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will he be sponsored by a well known soft drinks company
Old 4 Sep 2002, 03:36 (Ref:372689)   #8
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
you mean Buxton mineral water?! Maybe...
Old 4 Sep 2002, 08:41 (Ref:372818)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He isn't from Buxton is he?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 13:18 (Ref:382479)   #10
Master Yoda
Rookie

Master Yoda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that get into touring cars you need some outstanding results OR have some relationship to a pop star.

Being that he won the Clio championship last year and this year hasnt done anything other than score a 5.9 from both judges by sliding down paddock I think he had better be watching top of the pops to see who's available...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 13:38 (Ref:382494)   #11
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Yoda
It seems that get into touring cars you need some outstanding results OR have some relationship to a pop star.
Winning the championship is no mean feat. Watching in-car and other footage I think to the trained eye it's pretty obvious he'd acquit himself rather well in the BTCC.

It's a matter of money more than anything in the BTCC at the moment. Hence the lack of any depth to the talent.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 15:37 (Ref:382560)   #12
Master Yoda
Rookie

winning any championship is never easy but winning it once didnt do it for him so losing it this year wont either.

Last edited by Master Yoda; 17 Sep 2002 at 15:38.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 18:12 (Ref:382678)   #13
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
winning any championship is never easy but winning it once didnt do it for him so losing it this year wont either.
For the third time, winning or losing doesn't make as big a difference as having six figure sponsorship..
Old 17 Sep 2002, 18:18 (Ref:382683)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd settle for four figure sponsorship and one zero could be behind the point.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:30 (Ref:383411)   #15
Master Yoda
Rookie

You would like to see him in touring cars right?
The I put it to you that if he doesn't have the six figure sponsorship the results are all that will get him there and at the moment he is left wanting in that department.

Do you understand now Stacey? or do I have to type slower for you?
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:52 (Ref:383431)   #16
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
You would like to see him in touring cars right?
The I put it to you that if he doesn't have the six figure sponsorship the results are all that will get him there and at the moment he is left wanting in that department.
I have no axe to grind on whether the guy gets into Tourers or not, I don't know him from Adam. My point was that the current situation in the BTCC is that money talks louder than results. That is shown in the fact that the quality of drivers down the grid is a far cry from the hayday a few years ago. I think anyone from the top bunch of Clio drivers would do well in the BTCC.

It's interesting to note that in the few posts on the conference in this thread and others you've made, most of them seem to be disaparaging about some driver or another. Presumably that means they are not as good as you, but then if it was more than a view of an overly opinionated quick to judge armchair warrior, they might rise to it..

Quote:
Do you understand now Stacey? or do I have to type slower for you?
A fat sarcastic Star Wars fan, you must be a hit with the ladies.. ;-)

Stacy
Old 18 Sep 2002, 14:27 (Ref:383464)   #17
Master Yoda
Rookie

Strangely enough I would like to see Danny in the BTCC but my point is that it won't happen without results or money.

Quote:
A fat sarcastic Star Wars fan, you must be a hit with the ladies.. ;-)
Thats not very nice Stacy. You're not a fattist are you?
P.S. You forgot to have a dig at me about my height aswell. Or is that one too close to home??
Old 18 Sep 2002, 18:46 (Ref:383619)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
LOL. If only you knew.

Anyway before you two get yer handbags out I'd just like to pick up on something Stacy wrote (slowly). That is that whilst I really enjoyed the Group 1 and Group A era of Touring Cars (group 2 in ETCC) I started to lose interest when the ST regs came in. I thought it was the cars but now you mention it, it was the drivers. Rouse left, Cleland was always a rock ape and apart from Hoy and a couple of others you got a bunch of F1 has beens in extremely expensive stock cars. (I still think Mansell was great entertainment though).

So I tend to agree with Stacy (now there's a novelty). There are few drivers worth their salt in BTCC nowadays so it must be money and not talent that gets them there.

Yours
Large Pete.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 19:03 (Ref:383631)   #19
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
LOL. If only you knew.
Large Pete.
Don't spoil it Tubby.. ;-)

I know what you mean about the old Touring Cars, but even the late stages of the ST era - 98/99 saw a real depth of talent down the grid. Half the enjoyment was watching the guys seeing how much better than you they were. I am still minded of in-car Alain Menu footage in the ST era, and Tom Walkinshaw in the Bathurst XJS.

Nowadays some of the lap times shown further down the grid on qualifying are embarrassing, a long way down even on the old production saloon series. The bottom line seems at the minute that if you turn up to a prep firm with big bucks and an international C (do you even need one of those?) you're in..

Stacy.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 16:25 (Ref:384233)   #20
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
so true! so sad
Old 21 Sep 2002, 18:46 (Ref:385472)   #21
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buxton - how fast in testing?

Quickest time ever for a Clio around Donington GP.

Qualifying today: 4th. Set pace initially, improved his time again on new tyres but then had four attempts at a flying lap ruined by cars spinning in front of him every time!

Was coming up to line for one final go when they red-flagged session with three minutes to go ... and chose not to restart it.

Kirkaldy got it in the end, with Rivett second and Byford third.

Should be a cracking final round.
Old 23 Sep 2002, 21:03 (Ref:386853)   #22
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He had one hell of a scrap with Kirkaldy it was on of the highlights of the day for me...........
Old 23 Sep 2002, 21:28 (Ref:386876)   #23
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last three laps around the old hairpin were , well we were waiting for the ****e to hit the fan....
Old 25 Sep 2002, 21:32 (Ref:388419)   #24
danielbuxton
Rookie

danielbuxton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi people, hope everyone is well!!

Just thought after reading the opinions of many on this site about my season and whether i deserve to be in BTCC, i'd give my own account!!

This year has got to go down as THE hardest year i have ever endured, after agreeing to compete in the clio cup again it was imperative that i won the championship again. After having a great start to the year we then had Thruxton where we had THE roll, which the team or I could nor afford to fix. I then had to compete with a twisted shell which was terrible, we were the only team not to re-shell and consequently well off the pace all year; reputation down the drain. The team and I just scraped the money together to do the re-shell a month ago and Donington is the result - quickest in testing, quick enough to win and back entertaining the crowd!!

We had the speed to win the Championship, just unlucky with money and circumstances. Just to let you all know, rival teams could not believe we hadn't re-shelled the car and accepted that was the reason for my lack of pace.... thank god!!!!

In terms of BTCC, Donington has given me loads of confidence and having a couple of tests lined up shortly, I hope to give my best and show the form that won me the Championship last year. Sponsors are (fingers crossed!!) just falling into place, so hopefully i'll get a chance to show just what i can do.....

Thanks to everyone on this site and others that have supported me this year, we'll get to the top because I want it more than ANYONE else. My hunger to win, combined with a bit of luck and lots of determination will hopefully win through!!

Thanks.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 12:37 (Ref:388809)   #25
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to hear your side of things Daniel, I have followed you all season and despite the problems with the car you have done well. The Donington race was fantastic and saw you at your best. Hope all goes well with the tests and that we see you out in 2003, hopefuly in the BTCC.