Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 11 Apr 2006, 07:28 (Ref:1578281)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Greg and Leo Mansell

We saw the debuts of Greg and Leo Mansell at Brands Hatch this weekend, who do people think they got on. Greg quite impressed he seemed to be pretty much on the pace and was quite impressive in both races, as for Leo he seemed to struggle a bit, but I think he will get better. What do other people think?
Old 11 Apr 2006, 07:41 (Ref:1578292)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I saw Greg make several good passing moves on the inside on the approach to Paddock Hill bend, and thought on the whole he had a couple of good races. Leo was a little off the pace but then I don't think either have done a great deal of racing before (have they?).

It must be extremely difficult for both of them to absorb the pressure of being the sons of a former WDC and generally I felt they coped pretty well.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 08:15 (Ref:1578304)   #3
ukkartace
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
ukkartace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well done to them

i think personally they have both done very well, especially greg.
although they have done a lot of car testing - even flying to bahrain and hiring mondello for a few days;
they both started old, with little almost no karting experience and like you said have a tremdous amount of pressure on them, it will be interesting to see them progress. but i think that they both do have some talent without a doubt it will just be a case of how they can cope with the expectation etc.
although it seems nigel is very prtoective over them which can olny be a good thing.....
Old 11 Apr 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1578350)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Both drivers are not currently front runners, but that is to be expected given the limited amount of racing experience they have compared to the rest of the field.

Leo seemed a little unsteady at Brands Hatch but generally made a good start for a rookie. He will doubtless improve with time. Greg on the other hand seemed immediately at home in a race situation and made a couple of passes worthy of the family name.

Perhaps we can look forward to seeing them battling for podium positions by the end of the season.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1578392)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought Greg did really well, but maybe the Brands Indy layout isn't the best track to judge a driver.

Nevertheless, he looks like he can handle himself rather well and should do well this season.

Leo really struggled it seems.....but he will get better I am sure, there is promise there!
Old 11 Apr 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1578433)   #6
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dad Nigel had his own personal grandstand for both races - on the back of one of the D&G recovery trucks, by the control tower! He seemed well pleased with the results at the end of the second race.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1578457)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw them and Nigel at a kart circuit last year when testing and I guess they did well considering they haven't been racing long.
I saw the first race and Greg did well to finish 8th and fight through the pack. Didn't see much of Leo as he had to retire from that incident....
Old 11 Apr 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1578828)   #8
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Haven't seen them race but the burning question is are they there on merit or because of the Mansell name?
Old 11 Apr 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1578842)   #9
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Both drivers are not currently front runners, but that is to be expected given the limited amount of racing experience they have compared to the rest of the field.
The first BMW race was won by a driver who had never done a car race before. Greg wasn't bad: he did keep overtaking at Paddock, but then lost the places later in the lap.

But at the same time they have done days and days of private testing at various circuits.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1578845)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports
Haven't seen them race but the burning question is are they there on merit or because of the Mansell name?
they're there because they pay the money just like the rest of the field...
Old 11 Apr 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1578881)   #11
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bella

Yes they do pay the money like the rest of the field but it's the ease in which they find the money is my point!
Old 12 Apr 2006, 08:43 (Ref:1579254)   #12
No 4
Veteran

No 4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports

The reality is that both these points have merit.

Yes, if they pay the money, they're entititled to race.

Yes, clearly the money and sponsorship will have been easier to find because of the family name.

As the father of a driver who is not blessed with a rich family, it would be easy to be a bitter and twisted about this. However, that would be hypocritical, as if my family did have money we certainly wouldn't feel bad about using it to further Jamie's career.

The Mansell boys have still got to win races. Good luck to them.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1579292)   #13
met
Rookie

met should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
The first BMW race was won by a driver who had never done a car race before. Greg wasn't bad: he did keep overtaking at Paddock, but then lost the places later in the lap.
People keep saying this, and the commentator on motors said so too. But Oliver Oakes did the Formula Renault Winter Series and came about 17th. It wasn't his first race!
Old 13 Apr 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1580282)   #14
suckmybuggy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swindon
suckmybuggy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.teamaka.co.uk/?p=44#more-44
Old 14 Apr 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1582348)   #15
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
Motor Racing is not a fair sport, it you can afford to pay either by family money or a welthy backer you get the breaks if not forget it. Our Nigel can afford it and i note that his old sponsors Unipart and Sunseeker are on the cars. Shrewd move if you ask me as Nigel guarantees exposure for them. They certainly are not putting money in to be seen on the side of a BMW. As to how they will go, we will see.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1582934)   #16
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by met
People keep saying this, and the commentator on motors said so too. But Oliver Oakes did the Formula Renault Winter Series and came about 17th. It wasn't his first race!
to say oli oakes not having a car race under his belt is simply bending some truths

the guy might not have raced in a car, but he knows how to race and WIN against some stiff competition

last i chked, he was world FA champ in 2005
Old 15 Apr 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1582950)   #17
suckmybuggy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swindon
suckmybuggy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it seemed odd that they made a lot of u (ukkartace) being in your first race..
but hey to even win after 2 races is still an achievment and hope you can keep it going.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1583042)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
I was talking in terms of all racing experience.

Oliver Oakes is a vastly experienced World Karting Champion who has been driving competitively since the age of five.

2005 was the Mansell brothers' first year of competitive karting as I recall, which I think would make them the most inexperienced racers on the grid.

Last edited by Super Hans; 15 Apr 2006 at 20:11.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1583394)   #19
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't compare Oakes and the Mansells - their levels of experience are vastly differing. Oakes did and outstanding job though and running with Carlin he's always going to have a good car underneath him to do the job with.

As for the Mansells, I was impressed with Greg - he drove well and made a couple of demon moves at Paddock in the first race which certainly showed him to be a racer - and I think there's real potential as the season goes on for him to do something. I certainly expect to see him on the podium before the seasons out.

As for Leo - perhaps he should have stayed on the golf courses!! He has the same experience as his brother yet has not been anywhere near his pace from the first test. He has a lot to learn but I remember reading somewhere this week that turning to racing was the idea of Greg and Leo decided to follow him. Perhaps Greg has more drive to succeed.......?
Old 16 Apr 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1585103)   #20
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
2005 was the Mansell brothers' first year of competitive karting as I recall, which I think would make them the most inexperienced racers on the grid.
I don't think Henry Arundel had done much, if any, karting.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1587937)   #21
bobblehat
Rookie

bobblehat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be biased as I know the young lad. Tom Dunstan is possible the driver with the least amount of experiance on the grid and at only 15 years old (16 in june) certainly the youngest.

Tom started karting at Red Lodge in April 2005. Only competed in two races before going out to the F BMW assesment and qualifing for the Scholership shootout. Only got his full MSA karting licence in Feb! Plus he has only raced on three karting tracks Red Lodge, Kimbolton and Becels. Up to the Brands met, due to total lack of budget, he had only drived an F BMW 9 times!

Tom has one steep learning curve ahead of him!!!!! But he will get there, he's that sort of lad!

As for the Mansell's, well, good luck to them, too.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1588638)   #22
ukkartace
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
Hi guys,

well i thought i wud join this wonderful discussion seeing as its now moved onto slating me and certain people aiming to proove who that their buddy is doing so well for his expericence or that i am not inexperienced etc blah blah lol.

your right i have done the renault winter series all of 2 races but hey i guess i learnt so much...it being my first time at brands and croft.
this is the reason why i am not classed as a rookie because i have done all of 2 car races before. but to be honest i dont really care who needs a cross on the back of their car to have an excuse if they cant mix it with the bug boys on track.

I think its fair to say that the Mansell brothers are the most inexperienced guys on the grid when it comes to racing - but they have done alot of testing miles now, however they hav done a v.gd job so far in my opinion.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1588646)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for clearing that up for us and I hope no-one is intent on slating you! If they do then we as moderators will stamp on it!
Old 19 Apr 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1588651)   #24
ukkartace
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norwich
ha ha i was only joking lol
Old 27 Apr 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1596388)   #25
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehat
I may be biased as I know the young lad. Tom Dunstan is possible the driver with the least amount of experiance on the grid and at only 15 years old (16 in june) certainly the youngest.
Now that explains a lot.
The driver profiles that BMW's press office sent out about the drivers claimed he was born in June 1980, which rather puzzled me as it would make him the oldest driver by some four years.

Obviously it should have said 1990.